Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who's feeling positive about the Albion at the moment?

How do you feel about what's happening at the Albion at the moment

• Fantastic news, the clown is going

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • Cautiously optimistic, moving in the right direction

Votes: 12 14.1%
  • Oh no, we're heading back to the bad old days

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • What's the problem? Strom in a teacup

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Naylor and MM should be lynched for shit stirring at this great club

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Worried

Votes: 28 32.9%
  • Very Worried

Votes: 12 14.1%
  • You have forgotten to include an other scenario

Votes: 8 9.4%

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ok, looks like MM is on the way out, cue partying by many

DK, who is apparently potless seems to have reached the point where he might have to let go, or at least concede ground on initially the manager and who knows what afterwards

Interested to know how everybody views what's happening

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
My personal view is that as many predicted the financial drop from the CCC to L1 is going to be a very very difficult thing to deal with in terms of the day to day running of the club.

There are individuals with money to invest who see a different future for the club than the one we are following at present that may not revolve around Falmer and the present management structure, I dont think that they were forcing those views to be taken as policy, but have been increasingly frustrated that their voice on the board was meaningless and their opinions were not being listened to, hence the situation we are in now with false accusations flying around in the Argus.

I dont think ANYONE had any intention of ousting DK or MP, but if you are continually ignored when you are putting good money into keeping a team going, and the product on the pitch is the worst in 20 years then you are going to get frustrated.

McGhee has to go, he should have went after Coventry, if he had done then individuals would have still been quietly putting money into the club and getting on with the job of looking for more investment, now we have a situation where McGhee and Naylor are dividing the club and the board and opening up a can of worms that will now not go away.

I want DK to stay as Chairman without any question, that bloke has saved our club but must now accept that the financial contraints that we are under mean that other voices have to be heard too, they do not want to take over the club, merely have a say in what is going on.

We must now appoint a manager who the entire board are happy with and launch an attack on getting back into the CCC and establish our place there again with DK as chairman looking forward to Falmer.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Not happy at the moment.

We've gone from an October of Champagne cork popping in the stylee of Mavis Saggytits and chums to dropping out of the CCC, apparent turmoil in the boardroom, Falmer on the back-burner (when wasn't it?) and a squad who rolled over and died during the second half of the season.

What was the question again?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Rougvie said:

I dont think ANYONE had any intention of ousting DK or MP, but if you are continually ignored when you are putting good money into keeping a team going, and the product on the pitch is the worst in 20 years then you are going to get frustrated.

There are a lot of us on this board who have been following for 20 years or more. You clearly weren't following the Albion in the mid-90s, that's fair enough, everyone has to start some time, but I can assure you that the football we played in that period was far, far worse than anything we've seen this season.

Part of the trouble is that a few glory seasons have raised our expectations unrealistically. We're not a Prem club and we're not a Championship club and without Falmer we won't be. But that's scarcely MM's fault.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Worse than at half time at Hereford all those years back - at least the team had a fighting spirit then, this bunch are just bloody useless and a complete lack of guidance or nous from McGoon on and off the pitch we aren't much better off than on our return to Sussex Falmer remains a pipe dream in the sky, the people of Sussex clearly would rather support the Man u's and Chelseas than have their own team. Withdean has the potential to be half empty for the majority of next season if performances don't improve. Giving teh Nimbys all the excuse they need to say we can't even get 6k a match why do we need Falmer etc etc.

If you think we had trouble getting players last season - well don't expect any better this time round - even the majority of so called hard core fans seemed to have lost intrest in the fight, at least half time at hereford we all pulled together now it's all crumbling down around everyones ears.

Last edited:

The idea that some spiv of a professional gamber who runs a two-bit internet start-up is now running our club is about the most despressing thing I have heard about the Albion for years :nono:

There is no way this guy has the financial means to get us automatically out of League One. Stop being conned - this utter clown is wrecking our club!

Dick Knight - for god sake don't hand over this club to someone like this!

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Goring Gull said:
Worse than at half time at Hereford all those years back - at least the team had a fighting spirit then..

Great...we forced a draw with a non-league team. Just to remind you, we took 10 points from our games against the teams in the play-offs this year.

OK, we lost out but it was always going to be an uphill struggle....still, miles further on than we were in 96/97 though. There's no comparison.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Actually, the team 20 years ago was pretty good. In 1984/85, we conceded the fewest goals we've ever conceded in a season.

But as someone whose glass is usually half full, I am not overly concerned about what is going on. For a start, no-one knows exactly what is going on, and the Argus being the only source of information is, at present, hardly reliable.

Somewhere down the line, there is a disagreement over Mark McGhee's future at the club. There is also someone who wants to put a few quid in the club. Are these two issues linked? Possibly.

There is a MASSIVE leap between that and a 'boardroom coup'. Eventually, the board of directors will go on a course of action to come to a decision based, hopefully, on the best for all concerned - the primary concern being the welfare of the club as a whole. That's not just borne out of wild optimism, it will be based on a sound business judgement.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Gwylan said:
There are a lot of us on this board who have been following for 20 years or more. You clearly weren't following the Albion in the mid-90s, that's fair enough, everyone has to start some time, but I can assure you that the football we played in that period was far, far worse than anything we've seen this season.

Part of the trouble is that a few glory seasons have raised our expectations unrealistically. We're not a Prem club and we're not a Championship club and without Falmer we won't be. But that's scarcely MM's fault.

I have been watching The Albion since the late 40s and I can assure you that last season is amongst the worst that I have witnessed possibly only beaten by our time at Gillingham prior to Brian Horton taking over and the times in the 60s when we went down to the 4th Division. I think if my memory serves me well George Curtis was the manager then.

Like most on here I think that wrong decision was taken after the Coventry home game in the cup. I am told one director wanted to sack MM then but DK won that day.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
London Irish said:
The idea that some spiv of a professional gamber who runs a two-bit internet start-up is now running our club is about the most despressing thing I have heard about the Albion for years :nono:

There is no way this guy has the financial means to get us automatically of League One. Stop being conned - this utter clown is wrecking our club!

Dick Knight - for god sake don't hand over this club to someone like this!
Will you calm down? Where does it say that he is taking over? What are your sources?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
While I'm not sure about his rather histrionic approach to all of this I agree with LI that we should be worried. I also agree with L0 that there are no sources for any of this, Naylor seems to be speculating (who knows who his source is), and it is stupid to jump to conclusions. Something is obviously going on, but until we know what then this is all speculation.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
CRACKING news McGhee is on his last legs.

The club needs a shake up from top to toe and it looks like people on the board are starting to realise this.

Things can ONLY get better.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
BensGrandad said:
I have been watching The Albion since the late 40s and I can assure you that last season is amongst the worst that I have witnessed possibly only beaten by our time at Gillingham prior to Brian Horton taking over and the times in the 60s when we went down to the 4th Division. I think if my memory serves me well George Curtis was the manager then.

If you think that the football we played under Jimmy Case was better than the football we played this season, you must have a very, very strange idea about what good football is.

I also remember in 72/73 we were relegated from this division well before the last few games. At least we put up a fight this time.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Good to see revelling in one man's imminent unemployment, Richie.

As someone who clearly understands and knows the inner machinations of the Albion, and the politics of the boardroom (at least I assume you do, otherwise why would you be so certain that the club needs a shake up from top to toe ), how do you see this one playing out?

The Large One said:
Will you calm down? Where does it say that he is taking over? What are your sources?

Any minor investor who is demanding and using a veto over who we have as our manager is effectively running the club - that is the current situation. You can stay as relaxed as you want about that but I think it's a sad state of affairs, a real case of the tail wagging the dog.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Bwian said:
Not happy at the moment.

We've gone from an October of Champagne cork popping in the stylee of Mavis Saggytits and chums to dropping out of the CCC, apparent turmoil in the boardroom, Falmer on the back-burner (when wasn't it?) and a squad who rolled over and died during the second half of the season.

What was the question again?

Couldn't put it better. Also worried that there is now a lot of talk about staying at Withdean. If that happens we are doomed Captain Mainwaring, we are doomed.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
London Irish said:
Any minor investor who is demanding and using a veto over who we have as our manager is effectively running the club - that is the current situation. You can stay as relaxed as you want about that but I think it's a sad state of affairs, a real case of the tail wagging the dog.
And you think Dick Knight is going to let that happen? He's no shrinking violet is our Uncle Dick, as well you know.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Large One said:
And you think Dick Knight is going to let that happen? He's no shrinking violet is our Uncle Dick, as well you know.

Yes, that's a good point. For all his Uncle Dick image, he's no soft touch. I bet the negotiations are tough right now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here