Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whoops we are teaching our daughter racism

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My how times have changed.

Our 4 year old daughter noticed some of Wifey's Noddy books, on the shelf, being from when Wifey was her age now.

'Oh that will be nice, to read them next generation on', we thought.
Luckily our daughter loves them too, and plans to go through the whole series.

Sadly though they aren't to PC.

So far Noddy has had a run-in with the thieving Tootle family (Pikeys!) having been told not to play with them as they steal everything, inc Noddy's car.
Now Golly-Wog is on the scene.
I can only assume in the next book Noddy & Big Ears will be out on the lash in Toytown ending the evening with a curry and calling the waiter Saboo.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
On a similar note, I was going through a few boxes of old children's books in my mum's loft and came across 'Little Black Sambo'.

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
I caught "Love thy neighbour" on some obscure channel a week or so ago.
Sambo,nig nog,snowflake,honkey,they were all there.
I still reckon you'd get away with the second two,but would get nicked for the first two.:shrug:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I caught "Love thy neighbour" on some obscure channel a week or so ago.
Sambo,nig nog,snowflake,honkey,they were all there.
I still reckon you'd get away with the second two,but would get nicked for the first two.:shrug:

Loved that programme. :)

Back then you could call a spade a spade and no one would blink an eyelid.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Racism and gambling. Whatever next...

:jester:

Gambling is just something she happens to be good at.
We played Snakes and Ladders the other day, she only threw 5's & 6's didn't hit a single snake and won while I was still at the bottom of a snake, on number 3.

Stumpy Tim

A good friend of mine went through his Dad's attic a few years ago & came across a game similar to "CrossFire". Unfortunately it was titled "Shoot the ******" & the aim of the game was to shoot black people with the gun. Apparently it's a game his Grandad used to play

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
I have loads of black,gay,Asian mates etc,and we take the piss out of each other all of the time.
Try doing it on here and you'll get slung off.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Just watching Fawlty Towers on UK Gold.

The Major saying "I took her to see India, at the Oval!". The talking moose is a classic as well. :lolol:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I have two Golly Wogs in storage somewhere. They were my favourite toys. I was mortified when the antique golly lost an eye and we took a special trip to a button shop to remedy that. I haven't grown up wanting to crucify black people or become a member of the KKK.

Srixon

Sep 26, 2010
Did you know that they sell 'gollywog' dolls on Brighton pier? Fact. I brought two last month.

Have one on my bedside table and the other in the living room, it does raise eyebrows when family visit. Before anyone says anything, I say, want one then visit Brighton pier :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here