Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who would swap Olympic host country for more medals?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Its all about winning for me. You remember the British athletes from the past who won gold. Their names pass into immortality. Steve Redgrave is known all over the world. Even Mark Spitz paid tribute to him. HOW GOOD IS THAT!!!
It's great being host but given the choice between that and a record haul of medals abroad, the latter wins for me every time.
But you could argue that hosting it is an investment in future generations. The chance is there for our kids to watch our heroes of today and become inspired.

Jan 30, 2008
Would happily go back to China instead of London if it meant more medals!
Couldn't get tickets so not much benefit having the games.
We can't moan about ticketing at major events when we have made such a balls up of our own event.
cheers Seb you PLANK! (but we new you were ever since the 83 semi):moo:

( the Olympic spirit is for losers)

bitter of hove
just pop down the local chinky restaurant ,they'll look after you .

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
Love having the Olympics in this country. Very proud.
As long as our competitors give the best they can, whether they win or not, I'm very proud of them.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
No, because if it was elsewhere I wouldn't be going tomorrow.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I know this is a windup but I will say loud and clear that if we 'only' perform as well as we did in say Athens or Sydney then I will be happy in terms of team performance. Beijing was outstanding. If however we only do an Atlanta then so what? I still wouldnt swap the opportunity to have the games in London. We've been good hosts, I was on an international work call yesterday where people from all round the globe were commenting on how superb the games are and how impressive the locations look. The opening ceremony will go down as one of the best ever adverts of London and Britain. One canadian described the cauldron lighting as (and I quote) 'one of the most beautiful television moments I have ever witnessed. Simple, full of meaning and impressive'.

This wasnt a lone voice - people from latin america, middle east and asia all had similar views be it on the music, the spectacle, the venues etc. The french were some of the most positive.

So lazy Rory couldn't get off his arse to get tickets which were and are freely available. Plus in some cases FREE and FREELY available. Well tough to you. Me and my family will sit back and remember these games with pride!

So lazy Rory couldn't get off his arse to get tickets which were and are freely available. Plus in some cases FREE and FREELY available. Well tough to you. Me and my family will sit back and remember these games with pride!

Its not a case of laziness but of principle,i will let the great unwashed dribble and applaud when the gruel is served up!
I stand as the conscience of westmount and therefore the world.
Enjoy the arena and all we are tossed from the top table.

:moo:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
How hard are you trying? There are tickets for sale now on the website. If you really wanted to go, you could put your hand in your pocket and go. Today.

The OP could also go (or could have gone) to the free events - such as the cycling road races or time trials or the marathons... All you have to do is come to London and stand on the street.

On top of this, there were masses of tickets available for the less popular events for months. Why didn't you get any?

They are also releasing more tickets for sale all the time even now. And most of the football matches at this stage of the competition aren't sold out.

It's complete and utter nonsense to say you tried but were unable to attend any of the events.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here