Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who won't be good enough for the Championship?

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
I don't think that Brighton have a goalkeeper who can play at the higher level.Will Gus notice that?
Or will he be in denial and spend money elsewhere?:(

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I guess the following:

Poke
Baz
Battipiedi
Holroyd
Hall
Cook
Kasım (?)
Jamie Smith
James Smith
Sandaza
Walker

Maybe Tunni, Brez, Dunk,

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I don't think that Brighton have a goalkeeper who can play at the higher level.Will Gus notice that?
Or will he be in denial and spend money elsewhere?:(

Are you serious? So you basically have decided that none of our goalkeepers are good enough for the Championship and if Gus Poyet (the manager who won us the league this season) disagrees with you it is him that is wrong not you? Is that correct?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I guess the following:

Poke
Baz
Battipiedi
Holroyd
Hall
Cook
Kasım (?)
Jamie Smith
James Smith
Sandaza
Walker

Maybe Tunni, Brez, Dunk,

Agree mostly with that list. I think they will keep Walker and Dunk as they both have time left on their contracts and potential to improve. In terms of the rest, the only other one they might keep is Kasim because apparently he has been doing well for the reserves.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Goalkeeper has to be among the priorities. Either Ankergren drops to No.2 or has serious competition for his slot. Brezovan, Poke are nowhere near good enough deputies to give Ankergren any sleepless nights.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I wonder if Gus will let Brezovan, Poke and Walker go as we have the young Canadian to take Walkers place and probably not room for both then go for an experienced keeper like Cudicini to push Ankergren although wages could be a problem unless he is out of contract at Spurs or even Cerny from QPR who was at Spurs with Poyet probably.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I beg your pardon? Will Gus Poyet, footballing genius, who's lead his average players to an easy league title, notice what seems obvious to someone who appears to live in Spain? Perhaps you shoud write to him telling him what he's been doing wrong all season.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I wonder if Gus will let Brezovan, Poke and Walker go as we have the young Canadian to take Walkers place and probably not room for both then go for an experienced keeper like Cudicini to push Ankergren although wages could be a problem unless he is out of contract at Spurs or even Cerny from QPR who was at Spurs with Poyet probably.

Have we signed the Canadian then? There was a brief mention and then he disappeared from view. I also thought Walker was highly rated at the club. Maybe he needs a year out on loan.

I do agree that goalkeeper is a position we need to strengthen but was amused by the way the opening poster basically said Poyet didn't know what he was doing if he disagreed. If Bournemouth don't go up, their keeper Shwan Jalal is supposed to be pretty good. Could be worth a look.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Gus has done a lot in today's Argus to dampen expectations about next year and anticipates Saints and Huddersfield, if promoted, to finish ahead of us given their spending power. This is a tad tad disappointing but I'd be more than happy with a mid-table finish in our first year back in the Championship. Let's give others a chance!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Gus has done a lot in today's Argus to dampen expectations about next year and anticipates Saints and Huddersfield, if promoted, to finish ahead of us given their spending power. This is a tad tad disappointing but I'd be more than happy with a mid-table finish in our first year back in the Championship. Let's give others a chance!

But the question is whether this is mind games. I would take mid table next season (tenth and a decent cup run would be great) but a lot of fans who signed up for season tickets on the back of this season will expect more. I think they will spend big but Gus needs to dampen expectation amongst fans in case we don't get our targets and also with opposing teams as it is not in our interest for other clubs to think we will spend big. It could be an interesting summer.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
But the question is whether this is mind games. I would take mid table next season (tenth and a decent cup run would be great) but a lot of fans who signed up for season tickets on the back of this season will expect more. I think they will spend big but Gus needs to dampen expectation amongst fans in case we don't get our targets and also with opposing teams as it is not in our interest for other clubs to think we will spend big. It could be an interesting summer.

I agree. Mind games were played last summer if I recall right, by Gus saying that we will be trying hard for a top 6 finish but it would be 'complicated'! Obviously the Championship is a tougher proposition, but this time we are going into it in a better financial position than we ever have before. Our transfer record in will be broken without a shadow of doubt but top 10 would be a decent accomplishment. It's all about renewals of season tickets for 2012/13, luckily Tony Bloom is a shrewd investor and i'm sure if Gus wants someone the funds will be provided to give us a fighting chance against other clubs to land the target.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

I think the majority of new STHs will expect the same as this season so will be interesting to see how the cope with mid table mediocrity.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Ankergen, statistically the second best 'keeper in the league (by a mile), only let in 1 more goal than Kelvin Davis. Oh, also, please note, he's a Champion. Yeah, he's absolute shit, get Nicky Rust back :facepalm:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think Ankergren will be good enough, not so sure about Brez though.

Anyway forget them as Tony will by Neuer for us.

Lush

Mods' Pet
May have been clumsily put by Guerrero, but I don't think Casper or Brez is good enough for the Championship either. Gus's ability however is beyond question :)

It seems to me that you need at least a couple of players who have been there and done it before, and fairly recently. The same kind of principle when Micky brought in Cullip/Oatway/Watson/Brooker/Carpenter etc. I'd like to see a goalkeeper who is proved at Championship level and isn't quite so fazed by big powerful centre-forwards bearing down on them.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
Really not sure about Ankergren. His distribution can't be faulted but why did Leeds drop him when they moved up?

Mammoth

Kickin' back
Jan 28, 2011
Manchester Ship Canal
As we've seen with Adam, putting someone better next to them will raise their game. Gus knows this, and he will work out who to chop and change for maximum impact.

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
Simon Grayson obviouisly didn't think Casper was up to the Championship and he is no mug as a manager.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here