Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
i really don't get the dutch, they always have a decent team yet can't fail to self implode

It's quite easy: football pitches just aren't built large enough to accommodate eleven Dutch egos all at the same time.

They have decided that van de Sar's save last week is a sign that they are going to win - because it harks back to van Breukelen's save that won PSV the European Cup in '88, just before the national side went on to win the Euros.

The last time they were this convinced was during their "great surge to inevitable glory" in Italia '90 - still one of the greatest comedy moments of my life.

I can't wait for them to get knocked out - if only to rid the streets round here of the god-awful bright orange bunting that has already started appearing everywhere.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Is there a Euro's this year? I thought they'd cancelled it ???

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Forget last post - Oddschecker is an unreliable as ever. The only two firms offering 13-2 Spain have now fallen into line at 6-1.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Not STRICTLY true though is it?

Accepting of course that England don't deserve to be there as they had their chance and spunked it, the fact is that having joint hosts does make it that little bit harder to qualify. Its all very well if those joint hosts were say France and Germany who were two likely qualifiers anyway, but when ONE EIGHTH of the available places are taken by Switzerland and Austria, its not ideal.

[Not that next time will be much different - Poland and Ukraine]

It's NOT FAIR. I'm so sorry. It must be a very difficult time for all concerned and I have every sympathy.

Pffftm...amwaahahahahahahaaaaaa

fanmeile_menschenmenge_29.jpg

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I need none of your mock sympathy, my friend. I wasn't refering to En-ger-land, who as I pointed out DID NOT DESERVE TO QUALIFY.

I'm looking forward to it just as much as if England were there. We will be able to concentrate on, and enjoy, the actual football, rather than having to put up with our media WANKING themselves SILLY every time Rooney sneezes, or somebody's girlfriend wears a vest top or buys a pair of shoes.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Holland won't get out of their group.

And I don't understand why Germany have been made favourites. They over achieved at the last world cup when they were on home soil and are under a fairly untested coach this time round. When Sven left us we promoted his assistant and look at the cock up that proved to be. Why should Germany manage to do a better job of it with Löw?

I think Spain, France and Italy are the best teams in the tournament and really do think it's about time Spain did something with all their top quality players. Problem is that that's been said so many times before that you just wonder if they're ever going to live up to their potential (which as far as I'm concerned has been far greater than that of England over the past 4 major tournaments at least).

Think surprise of the contest will be Croatia but reckon Italy will be in the final

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I need none of your mock sympathy, my friend. I wasn't refering to En-ger-land, who as I pointed out DID NOT DESERVE TO QUALIFY.

I'm looking forward to it just as much as if England were there. We will be able to concentrate on, and enjoy, the actual football, rather than having to put up with our media WANKING themselves SILLY every time Rooney sneezes, or somebody's girlfriend wears a vest top or buys a pair of shoes.

No, I know - I'm only messin'.

Are posts going missing? I thought I'd already replied to this? Are the MODS are removing Germany-supporting posts on NSC??! :angry: *paranoid*

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Croatia will miss Eduardo hugely, and as a result will not score any goals.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Holland won't get out of their group.

And I don't understand why Germany have been made favourites. They over achieved at the last world cup when they were on home soil and are under a fairly untested coach this time round. When Sven left us we promoted his assistant and look at the cock up that proved to be. Why should Germany manage to do a better job of it with Löw?
I think there is a widespread perception in Germany that Löw was the real tactical genius and grafter behind Germany's "overachievement" in 2006, while Klinsmann focused on all his positive energy and team-building California bollocks. We'll find out but Germany's record since 2006 has been formidable, much better than it ever was under Klinsmann.

That generation of young players should - should - be well-poised this time, while 2006 was clearly a tournament too far for them.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Because they ROMPED through qualifying with ridiculous ease, Low was a much bigger part of their success than McClaren ever was for us, they're not on home soil but they're close :lol:

They don't have the greatest individuals but at tournaments they always put it together, Euro 2004 is the only one I can think of that they've failed in.

I'd say them or Italy. Spain have loads of talent, but Aragones is not very good, they try and play all their ridiculous amounts of class central midfielders in the same team which doesn't really work, they have one winger in their squad. They do have the best front two in the tournament, but an injury to one of those would mean they have to play Milito :lol:

France have a decent squad, but just never look quite convincing for me under Domenech. Portugal will rely heavily on Deco and Ronaldo, their only two top class attacking players (Nani and Quaresma are talented but inconsistent), their strikeforce is unconvincing so they will need goals from Ronaldo.

I think Italy will win it. They have the strongest squad on paper, and they have the experience.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Germany for me, despite the distinct advantage of being at home in the last World Cup they were starting to play some really attractive football, if they can continue that improvement then they should be in with a very good chance.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I would love to see Spain win, far better than the usual suspects (France, Germany and Italy), but they never seem to produce the goods when it really matters.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
I’ve spent lunchtime looking for some value in the Euro 2008 market.

France to win at 8-1 is a great bet. If they make it out of their admittedly tough group that price will disappear. Can be laid off as a bet to nothing.
I’m laying Spain. Regardless of first or 2nd in their group and they play something like QF France, SF Italy & then Germany to win it. I can’t see them being able to do that or it is at least more than 6-1 to do so.
Holland (tough group & self imploding) & Czech republic (past it) are 2 more to lay.
Austria at 11-10 to score 0-2 points is a great saver bet. Germany, Croatia and Poland are all better and with Germany in their last game they won’t get any free points (Although I am old enough to remember Germany & Austria stitching up Cameroon at the 82 World Cup). Still, even the Austrians realise their team is toilet.
Germany have a great route to the final. Czech Republic and maybe Portugal. Much easier than the other side of the draw. Not a value bet but worth backing Germany V France final at 12-1 and Germany V Italy at 10-1

I think I’m actually looking forward to this a bit more without England to worry about.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Spain for me

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Italy.

They managed to win WC2006 by overcoming both Germany and France, they are a tough nut to crack and no other side looks particularly dominant.

As for Spain, they fail to deliver time after time. Like the Dutch, they seem to lack that team spirit that gets you through tight ties, that ability to dig deep.

This is quite a depressing thread because it highliights the fact the tournament was there for the taking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here