Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who will get Offered a new contract come january 05

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Uncle Buck said:
Do not put him in the comfort zone before we are safe.

Not before the end of the season then?

Thats quite a small minded attitude. Why would you want to get rid of him just because he had a poor start to the season? It wouldn't change the fact that he was a good manager.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Rangdo said:
Not before the end of the season then?

Thats quite a small minded attitude. Why would you want to get rid of him just because he had a poor start to the season? It wouldn't change the fact that he was a good manager.

Why small minded? Surely just the incentive of keep us up and a better deal is yours. It is hardly likely anyone will poach him. He has done well so far, but is not the genius some people make him out to be and I am guessing is viewed as either damaged goods or disloyal by many in the game.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Uncle Buck said:
Why small minded? Surely just the incentive of keep us up and a better deal is yours. It is hardly likely anyone will poach him. He has done well so far, but is not the genius some people make him out to be and I am guessing is viewed as either damaged goods or disloyal by many in the game.

Small minded because you're not looking at the bigger picture. By saying that we would want to get rid of him just because he had a poor start to the season you are looking for some kind of quick fix. He got us promoted in his first season and has done brilliantly this season regardless of if we get relegated or not. We have no money so he has achieved everything through his ability and will only now get a chance to build his own squad by clearing out the crap that he was lumbered with and you would want to offload him because he lost a few games.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Rangdo said:
Small minded because you're not looking at the bigger picture. By saying that we would want to get rid of him just because he had a poor start to the season you are looking for some kind of quick fix. He got us promoted in his first season and has done brilliantly this season regardless of if we get relegated or not. We have no money so he has achieved everything through his ability and will only now get a chance to build his own squad by clearing out the crap that he was lumbered with and you would want to offload him because he lost a few games.

What I am saying is there is no point is rushing in to offer him a new contract (likely to be a better package than the current one) until we know what division we were in.

He got us promoted, I agree, however when Coppell left we were 2 (or was it 3) points clear at the top of the division, with a game in hand and I suspect we would have walked that league, as other than the Rushden game, we had not exactly set the world on fire, so had more to come. Post Coppell the wheels came off a bit and they did well to get us into the play off's, but having been clear at the top of the league, a 4th place finished could be viewed as failure.

Now I agree he has done well to date this year, although some of his formations leave a lot to be desired and the playing of people out of position and freezing out of players when we have a paper thin squad is infuritating, but he generally has us punching above our weight. However I do not see the need to rush into offering him a deal. I would be far more concerned at getting players like Kuipers, Knight and Cullip signed up and players such as Hinsh and El-Abd on deals that will encourage them to see out their footballing education at the Albion.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Uncle Buck said:
What I am saying is there is no point is rushing in to offer him a new contract (likely to be a better package than the current one) until we know what division we were in.

Surely it's better to agree a new contract - with performance related conditions?

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Hows it going to work with the players not offered new deals?
Are they going to put themselves out if put in the team? hardly an ideal situation if we're fighting relegation

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Uncle Buck said:
However I do not see the need to rush into offering him a deal.

It's not rushing into anything. If he's a good enough manager then we want to keep him whether regardless of whether we renew the contract now or at the end of the season. If we keep him under contract then we stand to benefit if someone steals him ala Coppell.
Waiting will do nothing except piss him off and make him liable to accept other offers.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Uncle Buck said:
Possibly or just wait
Thats all very well but if we want to keep him and someone better comes along theres nothing to keep him here if we haven't even offered him a contract.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Don Tmatter said:
Hows it going to work with the players not offered new deals?
Are they going to put themselves out if put in the team? hardly an ideal situation if we're fighting relegation

I am guessing that they will be told that they can find new clubs this season, however we will honour their contracts. It could be that they play out of their skin as they will need to find employment next year, so could work in our favour.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Uncle Buck said:
I do not see him going anywhere. He has not been mentioned or linked with any of the jobs out there.

At the moment. But it only takes a good run and then a better club to lose their manager (which seems to happen on a weekly basis).

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Nobody will take MM on at present. Despite all his wonderous achievements (honestly I like the guy I am not being sarcastic) we have only taken 3 points from the last 18. Plus I agree his track record on the loyalty front does not make him an appealing propsect. I would say his best assett is he is honest, he admits it when he gets it wrong.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I wouldnt offer Butters a new deal, we should be looking at Virgo and Hinshelwood to be battling i out to play alongside DC next season.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Marshy said:
I wouldnt offer Butters a new deal, we should be looking at Virgo and Hinshelwood to be battling i out to play alongside DC next season.

Wise words

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here