Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who will fill the role of The Killer?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He has... skygglappar. You know, the thing they put on the horse so it can't see to the sides.
One of these?

IMG_4995.jpeg

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Could Moder work further forward? He seems to get more freedom in the Poland side than he does with us, and while I’m not sure he’d ever be prolific on his own account, I trust him to find a pass.
Jakub Moder as the main one responsible for finishing and final pass sounds like... no.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Provided he gets through Copa America unscathed, I am incredibly excited to watch Julio Enciso next season...

Always think about how ridiculously good he was in that Wolves game last August - what could have been if it wasn't for that injury...
This.

Enciso played the “killer” role at Newcastle as anyone who was there would know.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Buonanotte is a good candidate yes. I HATE his way of playing football but he will be very, very good, maybe already this season.

Assume you were responding to me here - ‘hate’ is a strong word to describe your feelings about Buonanotte’s football. Was wondering what it is about his play that engenders such a reaction?

Enciso was a Litmanen case: hyper talent from unscouted territories. Him being with us is an anomaly.

But is he "The Killer?" He has Mitomian qualities, but feck knows if he is able to be the control room manager of the attacking play. He has... skygglappar. You know, the thing they put on the horse so it can't see to the sides. Don't think we want that from our Zidane.
Agree re. Enciso. Unless he changes his focus, I can’t see him in a pivot role.
Maybe we'll sign Hartel
Not according to a rumours relayed by a St Pauli fan when I suggested we buy him a few weeks back - apparently very interested in an American Club (St Louis).

Last edited:

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Assume you were responding to me here - ‘hate’ is a strong word to describe your feelings about Buonanotte’s football. Was wondering what it is about his play that engenders such a reaction?
Mainly the endless diving but also his sloppy defending, conceding a lot of unnecessary free kicks. I think he'll get better at the latter part, but he really needs to stop diving or I'll never like him.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Mainly the endless diving but also his sloppy defending, conceding a lot of unnecessary free kicks. I think he'll get better at the latter part, but he really needs to stop diving or I'll never like him.
Thought you probably meant the diving - he showed a remarked improvement there last season imo - was going down less and getting up a lot quicker when he did.

Because of his role, he attracts 2 or 3 defenders nearly every time he’s on the ball, he still needs improve his dribbling around them and how to be quicker to win back the ball fairly when dispossessed but again, I think he’s really improving in these areas.

It will be interesting to see how Fabi uses him and how he responds to his coaching next season.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Could Moder work further forward? He seems to get more freedom in the Poland side than he does with us, and while I’m not sure he’d ever be prolific on his own account, I trust him to find a pass.
If we play 343, I could see Moder excelling in the midfield duo -- which play in a very different way to how they did under RDZ. From what I understand, Hartel played further forward, as one of the front three but more as a number 10 than a boots-to-the-line-winger (eg Mitoma).
If we do play 343, I'm wondering what role Mitoma has in the system. We'll see on all of this. Looking forward to it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If we play 343, I could see Moder excelling in the midfield duo -- which play in a very different way to how they did under RDZ. From what I understand, Hartel played further forward, as one of the front three but more as a number 10 than a boots-to-the-line-winger (eg Mitoma).
If we do play 343, I'm wondering what role Mitoma has in the system. We'll see on all of this. Looking forward to it.
We don't have the players for 3-4-3 at the moment, but we're getting there with Barco signed, so long as Hinshlewood recovers. I think we really need to see the ins and outs before we decide who the 'killer' is, if indeed we have one. Gross staying or going and / or Undav staying or going changes who I'd have in the front seven of that system and where.

Let's say for arguments sake we do go 3-4-3 and don't have too many ins and outs then it would be reasonable to assume a front three of Mitoma, Enciso and Pedro. Enciso there wouldn't be in the Hartel role, it would be Gross or his replacement from the '4'. All the STP lineups I've seen have Hartel playing there and not in the front three? I think that's a waste of Mitoma though and hence why I don't think we currently have the right players for it.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I spent some time watching ten Pauli games from last season to see what we could expect next season, and I'm very surprised. Slow, controlled, lots of creative freedom. A return to being a poor mans Liverpool rather than a poor mans Tottenham. Good stuff, genuinely excited. Of course I want to kill Hurzeler with a rusty plastic hammer due to being younger than me, but lets face it - its impossible not to get at the very least curious.

Anyway, most interesting thing about Pauli was the role of Marcel Hartel, who made a bunch of assists and goals. While most players were into "better controlled than sorry" mode, Hartel was seemingly instructed to look for decisive solutions every time he had the ball: the finishing pass or cross, shooting, dribbling. Involved in nearly everything. 50/50 he loses the ball or it leads to something really dangerous,

Assuming a similar strategy of a "killer player", who would be ours? Mitoma maybe, since he can do everything. But probably better off "feeding" from "The Killer" (getting morbid now).

Gross is the obvious option. But what if he leaves? Who has the qualities to provide that final spark in the final third?
Important point I feel the need to make in response to this. Plastic hammers can't rust.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Never even joined! Saw some photos of Leicester though and thought "ok, thats... a place. Location". Happy though, no one here even knows how to pronounce Leicester, whereas everyone knows about the hipster tourist ghetto that appears to be Brighton. But I'm willing to hear people to describe the city of Leicester in a more positive way.

Buonanotte is a good candidate yes. I HATE his way of playing football but he will be very, very good, maybe already this season.
Leicester's actually quite nice and is highly underrated. Or at least, somewhat underrated.

And Buonanotte really does need to cut out the diving.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
I spent some time watching ten Pauli games from last season to see what we could expect next season, and I'm very surprised. Slow, controlled, lots of creative freedom. A return to being a poor mans Liverpool rather than a poor mans Tottenham. Good stuff, genuinely excited. Of course I want to kill Hurzeler with a rusty plastic hammer due to being younger than me, but lets face it - its impossible not to get at the very least curious.

Anyway, most interesting thing about Pauli was the role of Marcel Hartel, who made a bunch of assists and goals. While most players were into "better controlled than sorry" mode, Hartel was seemingly instructed to look for decisive solutions every time he had the ball: the finishing pass or cross, shooting, dribbling. Involved in nearly everything. 50/50 he loses the ball or it leads to something really dangerous,

Assuming a similar strategy of a "killer player", who would be ours? Mitoma maybe, since he can do everything. But probably better off "feeding" from "The Killer" (getting morbid now).

Gross is the obvious option. But what if he leaves? Who has the qualities to provide that final spark in the final third?
WBG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here