Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who will come to Falmer?

Lush

Mods' Pet
RoyalAli said:

I think that Our large Arsenal Supporting contingent (who have Reading as a 2nd team) stayed away because Arsenal were on TV

This comment by RoyalAli on another thread got me thinking.

When we get Falmer, could a large section of our crowd be made up of people who have Brighton as their 2nd team?

Does it matter - as long as they are cheering for us and putting money into the club?

What do you all think?

Seagullmatt

Feb 8, 2004
Goring by Sea
I can't understand people wanting to support 2 teams. What if they meet in the league or a cup-tie?

I'm Brighton 'til i die as the song says!

Still, any revenue for the club would be welcome and maybe if we play well (could happen) we might win them over to thinking the same as me.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
That's a good question, Lush. It doesn't really matter who comes to Falmer as long as we start filling the seats. It may be that we will attract footie fans from all over Sussex - not just the loyal Albion suporters. I will be there with the stripes and maybe that pink mohican hair do.:lolol:

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
Once we get Falmer we should be able to get back the generation of fans that have missed out due to Goldstone being sold and the gillingscum years.

It will also be easier for fans to turn up, i.e if they get up on a saturday and fancy just turning up to the football rather than having to apply through post for a ticket etc.

But the more fans the better, even if Brighton is their second team. Might mean more moany gits though??!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
You have to be pretty wealthy to support both Arsenal and us, cost of tickets etc.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I was talking to lots of former regular fans today and they were decidely unenthusiastic about Falmer.

The reason are several, they are car addicts and do not like park 'n ride, do not like getting tickets in advance so they are only into pay on the day, and find Falmer an awkward place to get to by public transport.

It is the last bit that could be remedied. Is there enough parking at railway stations on Saturdays and how much does it cost?

These are the people that stopped going to the Goldstone in the eighties because of the poor parking combined with the fences, boring style of football. They never returned. They are thinking about going to the games again, but cannot hack it if there is a hassle getting tickets like Withdean. And who can blame them?

Because Falmer seems to them imminent (probably a minimum of 3 years) they are at least thinking about going. Not a thing that will occur at Withdean.

If the tickets are sorted I would expect sell outs every week (if the current enthusiasm is maintained). If as I expect, they are not easily available as pay on the day, there might be just 12000.

The current enthusiasm seems mainly to have resulted because of the fuss over Hoile's letter. It must have got a lot of media coverage.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Well if it is peoples second team it won't be Arsenal as their new stadium is approved and will be built before ours :(

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
i would be able to make the odd game. havent been to withdean, but visited priestfield and goldstone a few times.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
oh go on then, I'll come if I must!

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Perhaps a few ManUre fans will come on the basis that we play nearer where they live!:ohmy:

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
You know what some of you just bemuse me and make me wonder why i bother to say what im goner say.:glare:

Do you people have memory problems or are you just going by a empty seats at a sess pit of a stadium call WITHDEAN.???

Right im goner say this for the last time,we brighton and hove albion where crap in div 1 last season and got relagated yeahhhhh,we you will also notice that we brighton and hove albion had huge demands for tickets at the sess pit called WITHDEAN last season.

Yes we had demands of over 20-000 a fair few times and yes at the WITHDEAN mmmmm now do you understand where im coming from or shall i spell it out again for your small pea sized brains.

Now we have the fans waiting and yes a few new players will help as a decent team is needed,but as im stating we was shit and played at the worst ground in the country got relagated had steep prices for tickets and had huge demands.

The club doesn't need to have a top football team to have big crowds it needs yes you guessed it a football stadium yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss hooorrraaaayyyyyy.

GOOD BLOODY NIGHT FUCKERSSSSSSSSSSSSS:p

:lolol: :lolol:

CAFC Matt

Jul 27, 2003
Woodindean
Seeing as I live in Woodingdean I will pop along if Charlton ain't playng. But the tickets will have to be about £10-£15. I ain't gonna pay much more

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
berkshire seagull said:
something largely incomprehensible

There will be an initial honeymoon period at Falmer when 'they will come'.

After that, a lot depends on how the Albion are doing in that particular season. A promotion chasing Albion will see decent crowds. It's a sad fact of footballing life that a club will attract a larger crowd chasing promotion in one division that it will fighting relegation in the division above. Capacity permitting, of course.

For that reason, it would be far better that the Albion kick off life at Falmer in Division 2. Which is why our previous promotion to Division 1 was way ahead of schedule.

Quite right, berkshire seagull. The crowds will come flocking in, once we get to Falmer.

perseus is expecting only about 12,000. That doesn't matter, since the finances for the stadium stack up nicely if that is the crowd for "standard" games. What excites me is that a new stadium will be combined with success on the pitch - and that will boost the numbers to the point that the Club is generating additional revenue to strengthen the squad and perform even better.

It'll be an upward spiral.

berkshire seagull himself might even be tempted along.

:)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I only said 12,000 if the tickets are a bit awkward to get or a bit pricey.

If supporters can buy tickets through railway stations (forgive if I have my doubts whether something may go wrong with this scheme: e.g. every time a train goes past the computer does a wobbly).

There are certain number of old fashioned type fans who are not very keen on paying out for tickets in advance for the ordinary matches.

There has been some evidence of fans not turning up for all-ticket games in the past. At least a 30% reduction has been known, although this can be accentuated by fans not expecting to get tickets because of crowds.

Its all in the details. I do not think the supporters over the 12,000 mark can be taken for granted. This is where the details will be important.

18,000 @ £20 ticket = £360,000
12,000 @ £25 ticket = £300,000

I expect the latter. I would want the former.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
After paying what we pay for seats at Withdean, 25 quid to sit in comfort at Falmer with a roof:ohmy: seems a BARGAIN.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Out of all my friends I'd say it's split 50/50 between those who have Brighton as a 'first' club and those who have us as a second. The 'second clubbers' tend to view us the way we view teams like Lewes and Worthing - they are interested in our results and want to see us do well, even attend matches, but for them it's not proper football.

Yes they will come to Falmer, but don't expect to see them there on a wet Tuesday for an LDV game against someone like Swansea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here