Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who/what has truly inspired you in life?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The passing reference to Douglas Bader in another thread got me thinking about this. I read the Paul Brickhill biography of Bader when a kid, and couldn't stop re-reading it. A guy who was cut down in his prime, told he'd never walk again but overcame huge difficulties to remain a superb pilot and became a bally war hero. Marvellous.

There are so many. Currently I'd nominate Paul Hunter whose attitude to what he is going through is breathtaking. Not an ounce of self-pity. And I did find what David Walliams did pretty amazing, I have to say.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
James Jamerson, Motown bass player

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This lday

Jane Tomlinson

An inspiration to all
Jane Tomlinson has terminal breast cancer, but she has proved that anything is possible with her achievements and fundraising.

We find out more about this remarkable Leeds woman.

About Jane
Since being told she was suffering from incurable cancer, Jane Tomlinson has inspired a nation, she's run a wide variety of races, including the London Marathon, London Triathlon, Great North Run and a number of cycle challenges.

Jane has raised over £1m for the Jane Tomlinson Appeal, which helps various charities including Hannah House in Rothwell, Macmillan Cancer Relief, The Paediatric Acute Services at Leeds NHS Trust and SPARKS.

Jane Tomlinson is from Rothwell and was diagnosed with breast cancer when she was just 26 years old.

A tumour in Jane's lung grew so large that it made her breathless.

Then in August 2000 a scan revealed multiple secondary cancers. Jane's diagnosis was terminal.

But despite the odds, Jane is determined to prove to others who are touched by cancer that life goes on and anything is possible.

Jane's achievements include:

- On Thursday 29 June 2006, Jane set off on her biggest fundraising challenge yet - to cycle 4,200 miles across America

Read the blog of Jane's US bike ride, written daily by her husband Mike

- On Friday 28 January 2005, Jane announced that her fundraising had topped her £1m target.

- In June 2004, Jane and her brother completed a mammoth 2000 mile, five-week tandem bike ride from Rome to Leeds.

See the full diary of Jane's Rome to Home bike ride

- Jane was recognised with a MBE in the Queen's Birthday honours list in June 2003.

- In August 2003, Jane completed one of her most gruelling sporting challenges - the Ironman UK Triathlon.

- Jane cycled from John O'Groats to Land's End on a tandem with her brother Luke Goward. The event began on 21 March and finished Friday 11 April 2003.

- In December 2002 Jane was honoured in the BBC Sports Personality of the Year.

- In August 2002 Jane crossed the line in the first half of the field in the London Triathlon.

- She was the winner of the Women of Achievement Awards in Leeds in May 2002 in recognition of her courage in running the London Marathon.

- In April 2002 Jane completed the London Marathon.

- Jane completed the 2002 Great North Run in Newcastle in one hour 51 minutes, four minutes ahead of her husband Mike.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Trufflehound said:
jaffa cakes...
I get FREE jaffa cakes where I work...which is dangerous

EDIT: the availability of jaffa cakes to my fat girth, I mean, not that my work is dangerous.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
" Steven Spielberg "

Good call

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Well one of my best mates has had a pretty hard life and I reckon what he has made of it is inspirational. His Mum died when he was 6 (she was a violinist) and he took up the Violin, to carry on her heritage as it were. His Dad re-married and my friend didn't get on with the stepmother. Eventually, he got kicked out of home and had to live at work for a few nights. But he found himself a flat, did more hours at work and worked even harder at the Violin, with a lot of help from his amazingly supportive teacher. A couple of years down the line, he's now got in to the Royal Welsh Music College in Cardiff and is heading there this September.

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Teddy Maybank

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
BarrelofFun said:
Steven Spielberg :dunce:

Quite possibly Steven Hawking. He has proved that if you really want to, you can do anything and let nothing get in your way.

apart from when his wife left him out in the rain and uncoupled the battery leads on his wheelchair

I know you mustn't laugh but that was f***ing hilarious

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

I cant think of anyone who "inspired me" Perhaps Freddie Trueman when I was gropwing up.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Dies Irae said:
apart from when his wife left him out in the rain and uncoupled the battery leads on his wheelchair

I know you mustn't laugh but that was f***ing hilarious

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

I cant think of anyone who "inspired me" Perhaps Freddie Trueman when I was gropwing up.

You are right, you shouldn't laugh. :D Pretty harsh of her.

I was going to say something, but I dare not stain my reputation. It is for me, myself and....me.

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What a crap response. The only thing worse would have been a thread full of people saying Dick Knight...

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Punk Rock: Nothing has every influenced decisions in my life than my music. When I got into it I then realised I did'nt have to live an ordinary life. I got hooked on the lyrics, listened to the meanings and got swept away with the many facets of punk rock music. If it was'nt for lyrics like "live out every hour like it was your last you'll live much better that way" & songs like "Every Single Day" (Pennywise) then I would be no-one like myself today.
I have many things to be thankful for from Punk Rock, getting over girls, doing what I wanna do, living life to the best of my ability...I cant begin to think what might've happened if I never heard Punk Rock.....I thank you :)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here