Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

who went to Brighton / Notts county

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Was my first time at Wembley to see football, as the only other time was to see Springsteen on the Born in the USA tour in '85

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I was there. Stayed in St Albans overnight then travelled down with my brother-in-law to meet my brother and his two sons there.

can remember being gutted when things started slipping away, but then accepting and enjoying the Wembley experience when it became obvious we weren't going to come back.

Still got the scarf bought on the day

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Yes I was there! Lived in London then. Went to Victoria station to see the tsunami of fans flooding into the capital, it was a wonderful sight which I will never forget. Sat in the Olympic terrace which sat just under the roof all the way round, fantastic view and paid £32 for the privalege! I remember County not selling out and only having 17,000 fans there and we picked up a lot of their allocation I thought we had 40,000 plus there. Just one game too far in a wonderful season I was 16 in the December before so went to the most away games ever that year. Still Happy Memories.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I went. Notts should never have had a corner that led to the goal. Dean Wilkins in tears after. The worst coach journey home I have ever experienced. Would love to go back to the new Wembley and put it behind me.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Was obviously a choker not winning, but it should be noted that we have a 100% record of winning play-off finals since then :thumbsup:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
We did an 'Amex' that day and walked out with about 15 minutes remaining and found ourselves walking back down Wembley Way with scores of other very dejected Albion fans.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yep. My overriding memory is a bizarre one. Walking up Wembley way with a bunch of notts county fans. They were pushing a wheelbarrow with an inflatable whale, singing " I had wheelbarrow, the whale fell off, repeat. Weird. Up there with the shift test days ever.

Billythefish

Mar 21, 2013
I was there , that corner - that pink kit - Deano hitting the bar and the ginger haired assassin Tommy Johnson on top of his game ! The end to one of the best seasons ever !

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Yep. My overriding memory is a bizarre one. Walking up Wembley way with a bunch of notts county fans. They were pushing a wheelbarrow with an inflatable whale, singing " I had wheelbarrow, the whale fell off, repeat. Weird. Up there with the shift test days ever.

Nice version, thought the 'wheel' one I heard was bizarre...Tommy Johnson was easily best player on the park & made the difference...reckon we have many more possible options for someone to steal the show than we had then

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I was there. I felt we'd over-achieved just by reaching the play-offs (although Wilkins free kick to win the last match is one of my favourite Albion moments) but I honestly thought we'd beat Notts County. At the end I was consoling myself with the fact that we'd only have come straight back down anyway, even with the extra one million pounds. (That what they reckoned the income difference between the top two divisions was worth in those days!)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yep. 2 abiding memories...

1. Singing 'Always look on the bright side of life' as we made our way from the ground.

2. I'd told my then girlfriend that there was no trouble at football any more. As we sat in the Wembley car-park, post match, a fight broke put that resulted in an Albion fan throwing a County fan across the bonnet of our car.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I got home, rewound the video and taped something/anything else.

Remember that kids!!!?!

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I was there

You just knew when Brighton turned out in that away kit, it wasn't going to be their day !!!!!

It was a funny season. BHA played pretty awful for most of it and won a lot of games they should've lost. Pompey at home was a classic example....0-2 with about 3 mins to half time and being slaughtered only to go in at 2-2. Brighton won 3-2 as indeed they did with quite a few of their games that season.
Digweed's penalty save was class after Crumplin had fouled an Ipswich player and then Wilkins' free kick.
The home leg against Millwall was great, best i'd ever seen Codner play. Think he scored a couple too.
The final was a damp squib. Notts county were a good side but i think Byrne and Small had their minds on big money moves. Pretty certain Nelso had gone to Charlton by then.
Good day out in the sun, ive got some photos somewhere, shame about the bloody kit though !!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here