Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Who was your favourite Python ?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Palin. Jones was nice too. And Gilliam. Idle, too. and Chapman. I was also a fan of DNAYS, with Denise Coffey and, yes, David Jason.

Cleese however, despite the genius of his comedy, now sounds like a pompous old tit, and100% grizzling gammon, and I can't warm to him at all. He's the Paul McCartney of the Pythons; only a matter of time before he wants the writing credits changed to Cleese et al.

Apologies if that's a bit harsh.
No, 100% agree. Cleese was my favourite Python at the time, followed by Idle. As you say he's just become an embarrassment now, almost a parody. Watching in retrospect I find that I much prefer the Palin and Jones stuff - inasmuch as I still find any of it funny. Of the spin-offs it's Rutland Weekend Television, Fawlty Towers and Ripping Yarns in that order.

And a GREAT shout for Do Not Adjust Your Set, possibly my favourite TV show of all time. I was about 10/11 when it was broadcast and I thought it was beyond brilliant. Those adventures with the evil Mrs Black were incredible.

EDIT: And I loved an interview I read with David Jason about that DNAYS team. Obviously a lot of them (including Neil Innes from the Bonzos) went on to do something with Python - but not Jason.. He said "It was like being in the Beatles. And I was Pete Best."

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Palin all the way .........He is/was the most silly, but with a quintessential Englishness about it all.............and I thought rose above the others at the O2 shows.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Cleese however, despite the genius of his comedy, now sounds like a pompous old tit, and100% grizzling gammon, and I can't warm to him at all. He's the Paul McCartney of the Pythons....

And I loved an interview I read with David Jason about that DNAYS team. Obviously a lot of them (including Neil Innes from the Bonzos) went on to do something with Python - but not Jason.. He said "It was like being in the Beatles. And I was Pete Best."

So who does that leave as Ringo? Palin or Idle?

This video shows that Idle also does a more than passable impression of McCartney and like Cleese has also earned something of a reputation as being "difficult", particularly in the two royalties disputes, first with Holy Grail producer Mark Forstater and then with Neil Innes over Spamalot.

Incidentally The Rutles' drummer John Halsey was the drummer on Lou Reed's album "Transformer"

https://youtu.be/amiBTezWKqQ

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No, 100% agree. Cleese was my favourite Python at the time, followed by Idle. As you say he's just become an embarrassment now, almost a parody. Watching in retrospect I find that I much prefer the Palin and Jones stuff - inasmuch as I still find any of it funny. Of the spin-offs it's Rutland Weekend Television, Fawlty Towers and Ripping Yarns in that order.

And a GREAT shout for Do Not Adjust Your Set, possibly my favourite TV show of all time. I was about 10/11 when it was broadcast and I thought it was beyond brilliant. Those adventures with the evil Mrs Black were incredible.

EDIT: And I loved an interview I read with David Jason about that DNAYS team. Obviously a lot of them (including Neil Innes from the Bonzos) went on to do something with Python - but not Jason.. He said "It was like being in the Beatles. And I was Pete Best."

:lolol:

And of course we had the actual Bonzos on DNAYS. Yes, my favourite kids programme at the time too (although Dr Who, Lost in Space, The Avengers, Land of the Giants and Tales from Europe (Singing Ringing Tree, anyone) were also great 60s faves).

Nostalgia, however, isn't what it used to be. Fact.

:wink:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here