Votes: 56 50.5%
  • Thatcher 1979 - 91 ?.

Votes: 55 49.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
Blair for me, however I did vote for both of them (not at the same time obviously)

In 79 Maggie was like a breath of fresh air, took on the Unions and reduced our income tax. BUT after 4 years She started to beleive her own hype and thought only she was allowed to make any decisions to run the Country.

Look at all those 80's privatisations, ok BT should not be Govt owned but Gas, Water & Electricity were all profit making prior to privatisation so all She did was put all that money into the hands of a priviledged few shareholders and money that should have been ploughed back into the industries went into rich mens pockets.

Blair has precided over the biggest investment programme for Transport/NHS in history, but it will still take years for this investment to start making big differences.

Big G said:
London Irish....ive always thought you were a bit of twat with your rantings and even ive made the occasional wanker comment about lefty's but you really have excelled yourself with that picture.....well done mate, you really are a cvnt!
If it got up your nose Big Goon, then it did its job superbly :wave: :clap:

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Was privatisation that bad? If they wernt privatised you would have to fund all modernisation out of your taxes!

Yes prices may have risen but as a free market you can shop around.

If British Rail still ran the railways do you realy think there would be brand new trains on the track!

And as for the economy our industry which is in the manufacturing industry is in its worst ever recession down almost 15% on two years ago, far worse than any downturn under the tories.

And as for spending on health, as someone who is a supplier to the NHS, PCT levels of staff have trebled under this government but all the staff actually do is write minutes for meetings!

London Irish that is totaly pathetic and sums up the left side of politics, if you cant debate the issues result to utter bollox!

Thow it has to be said politics at present is a total shower and that goes for all sides!

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Barnham Seagull said:
Was privatisation that bad? If they wernt privatised you would have to fund all modernisation out of your taxes!

If British Rail still ran the railways do you realy think there would be brand new trains on the track!

Given that the train operating companies are subsidised by over £1bn a year by the taxpayer, the least they could do was give us some new trains.

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
Barnham Seagull said:

Yes prices may have risen but as a free market you can shop around.

And as for the economy our industry which is in the manufacturing industry is in its worst ever recession down almost 15% on two years ago, far worse than any downturn under the tories.

And as for spending on health, as someone who is a supplier to the NHS, PCT levels of staff have trebled under this government but all the staff actually do is write minutes for meetings!

London Irish that is totaly pathetic and sums up the left side of politics, if you cant debate the issues result to utter bollox!

Thow it has to be said politics at present is a total shower and that goes for all sides!

For the Utilities I dont think they have modernised ! certainly not the Water which still uses the Victorian pipe system.

For BR privatisation increased the subsidy about 300% because they created loads of smaller different Companies which all needed their own structure.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The Large One said:
As opposed to directly taxed into poverty by Thatcher.

At least they were honest about it. :lolol:

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The Large One said:
Immigration was much higher in Thatcher's day. It's only with a Labour government that the Tory-based tabloids and broadsheets decide its an issue - and the brain-dead fall for it every time.

Britiain's immigration policy is actually pretty sound. It's the people trying to abuse the system and enter the country illegally who are making the news by trying to make it unworkable. But people confuse the immigration with illegal entry, but that's very easy to do if one reads the Daily Mail.
#

Spot on. Immigration is fine its the 'illegals' that are the problem and it is a problem.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Its a real split down the middle.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Big G said:
Yes thats right....moron!

Not too bright are you? As reflected in your inability to discuss without resorting to insults.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
Bwian said:
Not too bright are you? As reflected in your inability to discuss without resorting to insults.

I'll be sure to add a nice big smiley face next time so you know i was only taking the piss!!!!!

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Yes privatisation had some difficulties in the begining and is still overcoming them but in the long run it will be a much better situation!

Yes much of utility and transport networks in this country are victorian, in countrys like France and Germany their infrastructures were distroyed during the war and were rebuilt, fortunately this fid not happen to the same scale in this country so we are left with an out dated network.

What I can say is it would be a huge burden on the tax payer if all investment was to be funded by the government surely its only sensible to get the private sector involved.

On a brighter note a least we dont live in Iraq etc and its good we can debate these issues without worring if we are going to get a meal in the next day!

Clapham Old Mug

Aug 6, 2004
Clapham
Unless you experienced what a complete and utter economic and social mess the UK was in before Thatcher, you really can't really make a judgement. Thatcher may have gone on well past her sell-by date, but in the first half of her premiership she really did manage to drag the country out of a large and growing hole and onto the reasonably acceptable plateau it's on now. Blair's just had to keep oiling the wheels.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Difficult to judge really because I would be forming an opinion on how the country was run in different parts of my life.

I am 34 now I earn a reasonable wage, I own my own house, I am married and not long had my first child.

When Thatcher was in power I was 9 years old, although I left school when I was 16 in 1988 I found a job straight away and lived at home with my father.

Two different times in my life so cannot add any value to this argument and I would suggest that the only ones who can are those who lived their adult life through both political eras.

1066gull

Baring in mind I wasn't alive or too young to remeber, I'd say Blair.

Barnham Seagull said:
[
What I can say is it would be a huge burden on the tax payer if all investment was to be funded by the government surely its only sensible to get the private sector involved.

It could be more sensible, countries such as Sweden, seem to be able to run bloody good social and public services to a far higher quality than us.

Spain has some privatised services but its Railways are excellent.

Across Europe you find good public and privatised services.

Personally I was against the privatisation, my family etc had paid their taxes to build up these services whether they were the trains, post office, telecoms, gas. It was their money. This money could have stayed in their pocket or gone on the NHS.

The utilities were undersold to a minority of grabbers.

Have they improved I would say all with th exception of Telecoms have not. And we all know that over the last 20 years Telecoms has probably had the biggest industrial and market change of all major industries, So who really knows what would have happened, if it had stayed public?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here