Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who was the Albions first openly Gay player?

maxnug

Jun 9, 2008
Mate who worked at albion last year informed me that Liam Dickinson was a raging bender. He was informed by a certain Paul Rogers who was his boss at the time!

He was also told that Elphick was really arrogent and thought of himself as a big-time-charlie.

Don't shoot the messenger!

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
There have never been any. Openly, I mean. Never.

Pretty sad reflection on football, to be honest. Few other workplaces exist in this day & age where nobody would dare come out.

Maybe they are less concerned with potential abuse from neanderthal homophobes and more concerned with the eternal patronising rhetoric they would get from the pious smug self self satisfied liberal minded Herberts who think that other peoples sexual preference is an essential matter of public interest.

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
This isn't a wind up.
Ian Bishop (Ex West Ham) and Lennox Lewis were regulars around the Gay club scene in Brighton around 12 years ago.As an item!!!

I can understand why players who are Gay wouldn't come out,but surely if the same rules applied to the treatment of Gay players as the treatment of ethnic players.It could be nipped in the bud. :shrug:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
This isn't a wind up.
Ian Bishop (Ex West Ham) and Lennox Lewis were regulars around the Gay club scene in Brighton around 12 years ago.As an item!!!

I can understand why players who are Gay wouldn't come out,but surely if the same rules applied to the treatment of Gay players as the treatment of ethnic players.It could be nipped in the bud. :shrug:

But the ethnicity of a player is not a coming out scenario it is irrefutable and therefore rightly has rules and regulations in place to protect against prejudice !!!

Whereas the sexual preference of an individual player shouldn't need to become public knowledge and therefore need the same protection.

I really do not see it as an issue that needs patronising support from concerned mostly heterosexuals about the sexual acts of another human being.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Why would you think that anyone has some kind of distorted obligation to tell anyone of his own sexual preference.

I would imagine it is more a case of not being able to live a homosexual existence for fear or abuse and reprisals as opposed to simply wanting to shout from the rooftops.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Oh dont be daft.

What exactly is homosexual existence then ???

Im not being daft in the slightest. The 'norm' is to turn up with a girlfriend. Gay people have to 'come out' as they are not naturally inclined to the opposite sex.

Can you imagine the ripples if a player brought his boyfriend to some sort of public function?

A homosexual existence in the sense of being tru to oneself. I can't see any footballer coming out in the near future. There is abuse or those that bury their heads and insist it is their prpblem.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Im not being daft in the slightest. The 'norm' is to turn up with a girlfriend. Gay people have to 'come out' as they are not naturally inclined to the opposite sex.

Can you imagine the ripples if a player brought his boyfriend to some sort of public function?

A homosexual existence in the sense of being tru to oneself. I can't see any footballer coming out in the near future. There is abuse or those that bury their heads and insist it is their prpblem.

Come out to who ?? 'Norm' whats that ?? 'Tru to themselves' what ??

Plenty of professional footballers choose to go to public functions without a girlfriend or wife, sometimes going with mates and colleagues.

Quite frankly who knows or cares whether these mates then turn out to be their lovers.

Why oh why homosexuals should somehow have a exclusive rights to be 'tru to themselves' god only know !!!

Its a fixation by some within the heterosexual world at the sexual act that defines them.

Of course there is some prejudice and homophobia, but I am not willing just yet to become too concerned at what professional players sexuality might be and nor should you.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Come out to who ?? 'Norm' whats that ?? 'Tru to themselves' what ??

Plenty of professional footballers choose to go to public functions without a girlfriend or wife, sometimes going with mates and colleagues.

Quite frankly who knows or cares whether these mates then turn out to be their lovers.

Why oh why homosexuals should somehow have a exclusive rights to be 'tru to themselves' god only know !!!

Its a fixation by some within the heterosexual world at the sexual act that defines them.

Of course there is some prejudice and homophobia, but I am not willing just yet to become too concerned at what professional players sexuality might be and nor should you.

A lot of people would care if their mates turned out to be lovers otherwise we would have plenty of gay footballers.

I think you are underestimating the huge ordeal someone goes through by coming out, particularly when it is in the public eye and a traditionally homophobic institution.

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
A lot of people would care if their mates turned out to be lovers otherwise we would have plenty of gay footballers.

I think you are underestimating the huge ordeal someone goes through by coming out, particularly when it is in the public eye and a traditionally homophobic institution.

If you can't be Gay in Brighton,where can you be?
:tantrum:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

I don't quite understand the first bit.

I fully understand the likely angst of having to accept a sexuality that might cause some heartache and confusion to those closest to you, but I just do not care nor feel it necessary to feel that professional footballers should feel obligated to tell you or I that he is gay.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here