Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who was our leading goalscorer in 2004, open play? Surprise result inside

Re: Re: Who was our leading goalscorer in 2004, open play? Surprise result inside

Harry Lime said:
Im not sure about the rest of your figures but that 1 is certainly wrong as Robinson has only ever started 2 matches - Grimsby and Coventry. Its hardly fair to say 1 in 12 as a lot of his sub appearances have only been for a few minutes. There would have been another minute if we hadnt scored against Gillingham!

Leon, on the other hand, has started most of the games this season and contributed 1 penalty, 1 goal in open play and 1 penalty miss. I dont think 2 goals in half a season would be that difficult to replace. We could use the wage savings to find a really decent target man, not the donkey McCammon.

Stockport away? My Swindon play-off programme is rain-soaked cardboard and mush but it seem to show Jake started that game.

I have no argument with your general point that Jake has had little game-time. But I'm not really interested in a statto argument about how you count sub appearances, with common sense you can obviously interpret the above figures accordingly - everyone knows the game-time that Jake has had.

Last edited:

Re: Re: Re: Who was our leading goalscorer in 2004, open play? Surprise result inside

samparish said:
And as KG says, goals from set pieces are also not open play.

....and neither am I particularly interested in a statto debate about what constitutes open play, whatever definition you care to use, it makes little practical difference to the general lessons that are borne out, the stats above are a starting point for a discussion, not an end point.

There is a popular definition that exclude from open play those goals scored direct from free kicks and corners, in this defintion open play starts once the free kick or corner is touched by another player. But I must say I'm sceptical of one that designates open play as starting when something happens after that (another player touches it? or an opposition player? what exactly?) but it's an angels-dancing-on-a-head-of-a-pin argument, and need not detain us.

I think there were just two goals scored direct from free kicks in 2004 for us, not a great return. Virgs against Cov and Darren's against QPR.

It shows that after a decent 2003, Chippie's free kicks in range of goal went off the boil a bit. Leon replaced him in about March (I think?) and did no better except for that great effort in the Cardiff final.

Although we may remember Darren Currie somewhat misty-eyed as a great expert as scoring direct from free kicks, he too often disappointed, he had that purple patch in the QPR game but nothing much else.

Be interesting to see who takes them from now on, Chippie or Leon. The only thing I'd say is give Virgs the ones in the last 5 minutes, his favourite time period :D

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here