Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who Was Our Last MARQUEE Signing?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And Trevor Francis. Record breaking £million signing and established England player. And fellow England star Peter Shilton.

They had already won the league when Francis was signed, and reached rhe European Cup semi final without him. Yes, a good signing, notable for being the first £1M transfer (as if that would ever be beaten!), but building from a position of strength - and Shilton got 90 of his 125 England caps after leaving Forest!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
So why did we take Murray and Zamora back , they had been deemed as past their best. Clough built a European Cup winning team out of no hopers and players past their best....

THPP doesn't include those in the twilight of their careers. Welbeck, Lallana, Upson. Bridge etc... Also not Inc as they are 'past their prime'. Not my thread, so I don't set the rulez...

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Well BHAFC got one full season out of Ben White. Then flogged him on earlydoors. Fair play to the player, and to the club really. Not the same as paying top dollar for a STARLET with a future tho eh?

We sold him for £50m and not bought him for £50m. Definitely not the same.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Dont think weve signed a player since CMS when we all thought we were set for bigger and better things, especially as he rejected bigger clubs to join us

I remember being really excited by that signing at the time, same with Ali J ??? But 'Marquee' ?

Of the great Albion players I can only think of Jimmy Case and Murray (second time) who's signings were exciting at the time and lived up to it (although I seem to recall some expectations around Brian Horton for 30K).

Ward, Lawrenson, Zamora, Dunk, White, Bissouma as far as I can remember all snuck in 'under the radar'. Such is the Brighton way :albion2:

(Keeping an eye on Sanchez, Lamptey and Mwepu)

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Always seemed to me a bit of a CAMEO signing

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
If this had been a West Ham forum they'd have former striker signed from Newcastle: Bryan "Pop Up" Robson

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Players that we have signed that made me truly excited, and to me, made a statement of intent, were CMS and Vicente. Ultimately they both had their confidence undermined by their manager and never quite fulfilled their Albion potential. Although I think that crossbar against Derby is still rattling.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
At the time they were signed, probably only Vicente, Bobby Smith and Bridge would have fallen into the category of a marquee signing. Sadly this averages 1 every 20 years, which means I’ll be fortunate to see another!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here