Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who Thinks American Football is Boring ?

Oct 25, 2003
i do like my NFL- don't know much about it but i'm learning

as mentioned before, i can quite happily sit down and watch a match between two random NFL teams, but i struggle to do the same with SOCCER

wish there were better highlights available on the BBC, as there is demand for it

also wish there was a decent league over here that people can go and see, it'd get kids into it and i reckon the sport would take off BIG STYLE if there was a decent english league

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Truth is, I much prefer the game to our football. Similar to Brovians point about a Bolton game, I've come to realise that other than Brighton and England games where I have a huge emotional attachment to the outcome, I really can't watch much of a live game without flicking over and watching something else for a while.

Whereas NFL, I watch game after game from start to finish, including college football, and although I support the Cowboys, I am glued to all games from start to finish, whether the Cowboys are playing or not.

Answer must be, that the sport is far more watchable for me than our football.

Incidentally, the Conference Finals were this weekend, and for the uninitiated that is the final four stage, so the top 4 teams in the league. Over the last 3 years, 12 different teams have played in the Conference Finals!!! 12 different teams in the top 4 in 3 years, blimey, you must have to go back a decade for 6 (let alone 12!) different teams at the top of the Premiership. I wonder why the Premiership has bored me to tears lately?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Answer must be, that the sport is far more watchable for me than our football.
I don't think that's true at all. My guess is that SOCCER coverage is completely saturated nowadays. There is simply too much of it on, and most of what constitutes top level football revolves around the "big 4" and pretenders to their crown.

Incidentally, the Conference Finals were this weekend, and for the uninitiated that is the final four stage, so the top 4 teams in the league. Over the last 3 years, 12 different teams have played in the Conference Finals!!! 12 different teams in the top 4 in 3 years, blimey, you must have to go back a decade for 6 (let alone 12!) different teams at the top of the Premiership. I wonder why the Premiership has bored me to tears lately?
No arguments here though.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I find NFL incredibly frustrating to watch (like most American sports), if it was just a straight out game I would probably really enjoy it but there are just far too many timeouts that completely take away any flow to the game.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I find NFL incredibly frustrating to watch (like most American sports), if it was just a straight out game I would probably really enjoy it but there are just far too many timeouts that completely take away any flow to the game.

Once you get into the game though, the stop start nature actually builds the excitement. You wait for the play to start and you're looking for the way the teams have lined up, and where the mismatches are. You see an offense with a TE lined up against a LB, or a defence showing blitz then dropping back into coverage before the snap. It's like seeing a field being set in cricket.

Works for me anyway.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Once you get into the game though, the stop start nature actually builds the excitement. You wait for the play to start and you're looking for the way the teams have lined up, and where the mismatches are. You see an offense with a TE lined up against a LB, or a defence showing blitz then dropping back into coverage before the snap. It's like seeing a field being set in cricket.

Works for me anyway.

I guess it appeals to the American market, it gives them time to go and get some more snacks between plays.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex

Works for me anyway.

Exactly - You really need to know the rules, to appreciate some of the stops in play.

It's a fascinating game and I for one love it. Saw a live game in the States for the first time this year. Superb experience!

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Anyway, since the dawn of time in order to amuse ourselves humans have thrown things, kicked things and hit things with sticks. To say one particular codified version of kicking, throwing and/or hitting with a stick is intrinsically better than any other is obviously absurd.

Abso-bloody-exactly

American Football really really doesn't interest me. Same goes for Rugby (any code), just leaves me cold. But, like music, there's always something in everything that engages people.

I still think the individual skill of footballers lifts it head and shoulders above it's more physical cousins. But that's just me.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I like American Football, but struggle with baseball and basketball.

Basketball seems to just be an endless 'one-team-goes-up-and-scores, then-the-other-team-does-the-same' recurring ping pong for, like, EVER. Occasionally one of the teams fails to score. Then eventually, after hours of this, you end up with a score of 103-99. Thrilling. Only the last few minutes are meaningful, you might as well reduce the game to that and be done with all the metronomic scoring beforehand.

Baseball. Well, there's just got to be something plain WRONG with a sport where each team plays 658 regular season games just so they can work out who should win a division. Don't some teams play four times a day, seven days a week? Or is it five times? Just shows the whole thing up to be a fairly random lottery really.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You see an offense with a TE lined up against a LB, or a defence showing blitz then dropping back into coverage before the snap.

WHOOSH2.gif

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

If the players played without breaks, there would be multiple fatalities. You can't play with that flat-out intensity for extended periods.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I like American Football, but struggle with baseball and basketball.

Basketball seems to just be an endless 'one-team-goes-up-and-scores, then-the-other-team-does-the-same' recurring ping pong for, like, EVER. Occasionally one of the teams fails to score. Then eventually, after hours of this, you end up with a score of 103-99. Thrilling. Only the last few minutes are meaningful, you might as well reduce the game to that and be done with all the metronomic scoring beforehand.

Baseball. Well, there's just got to be something plain WRONG with a sport where each team plays 658 regular season games just so they can work out who should win a division. Don't some teams play four times a day, seven days a week? Or is it five times? Just shows the whole thing up to be a fairly random lottery really.

Basketball, I'll grant you, is desperately dull in my opinion, and I've been to NBA games. Major League Baseball teams occasionally play two games in a day to make up for postponements, and there are 162 games per team in the regular season.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008

The timeouts let them get the adverts on. Which is why footie will never take off in the States - the main networks will not wait 45 minutes for an ad break. When the networks did screen the 98 World Cup they used to go to split screen every 5 minutes to show the adverts which was incredibly annoying.

Live baseball is worth going to once for the ‘fan’ experience – the whole thing is just so slick and well run. Even in lower leagues there’s no queuing for the bogs or snacks – a few English clubs could learn a trick or two from them.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
If the players played without breaks, there would be multiple fatalities. You can't play with that flat-out intensity for extended periods.

Fatalities you say, now that would get me interested :whistle:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here