Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who Thinks American Football is Boring ?

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
I used to not like it, but I actually admire some of the strategy and plays in it now. It does annoy me when people have an opinion on it without having seen it and have no grounding.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I used to not like it, but I actually admire some of the strategy and plays in it now. It does annoy me when people have an opinion on it without having seen it and have no grounding.
Indeed. When I was growing up it we absorbed, almost by osmosis, the idea that American team sports were stupid and 'unmanly'. They played baseball, a speeded-up version of rounders (a girl's game), basketball, which was a type of netball (a girl's game), and when they DID play a proper sport like rugby they got all padded up in case they got hurt! Then when Channel 4 first started showing and explaining it in the early 1980s after initially sneering I realised it was a fascinating, multi-faceted sport. So much so that in many ways I now prefer it to 'our' football, certainly I can watch an NFL game in which I have no interest in the result and thoroughly enjoy it, whereas I wouldn't dream of watching say Bolton v Blackburn even if it were the FA Cup final.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its good when watching highlights. but live...:yawn: they need to edit the full length game down to to just the 1hr of actual play for TV, maybe have a break evey 15 min for getting a beer.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
no i would not say it is boring , same with afl,(aussie rules) if you take an interest and learn the rules then you can appreciate the skill , judgement and athleticism involved the top level midfielders in afl can run upto 17-18 kms over the course of a game........effing phoenomenal i reckon.....the nfl players are top athletes have you seen the nfl dreamteam advert....????

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I can watch an NFL game in which I have no interest in the result and thoroughly enjoy it, whereas I wouldn't dream of watching say Bolton v Blackburn even if it were the FA Cup final.
I tend to agree these days. The same applies to the big rugby matches (either code), the AFL Aussie Rules grand final or Gaelic football.

Being honest with myself, two tediocre Lancashire outfits contesting a football final holds little interest with me and it's probably because there is too much soccerball available these days.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
the nfl players are top athletes have you seen the nfl dreamteam advert....????

I bloody love NFL so i'm not taking the piss here but if you mean the Fantasy Football ones, i don't know what one you've seen but there's loads, and you do know they're all fake right? Obviously they are still incredible athletes but not quite THAT good!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I'm not a fan of American football, but I've got a couple of mates that love it. I have come to the conclusion that its a bit like formula one - you need to know whats going on. If you don't it'll be boring. However if you can make the effort to understand it, its probably quite enjoyable.

I like the cheerleaders thougn :love:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
As well as being an NFL fan, I also love baseball - but I'm always having to defend it against the accusation that it's just "grown-up rounders."

Well, what's wrong with that? Remember playing rounders when you were young? Good fun, wasn't it? And here's the thing: baseball is even better. Plus they bring food and drink to your seat. As they say in the US, what's not to like?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
As well as being an NFL fan, I also love baseball - but I'm always having to defend it against the accusation that it's just "grown-up rounders."

Well, what's wrong with that? Remember playing rounders when you were young? Good fun, wasn't it? And here's the thing: baseball is even better. Plus they bring food and drink to your seat. As they say in the US, what's not to like?
Ahh, now baseball, that IS rubbish .....:p

No, I know that there are quite a few people on here who like baseball and so fair enough. I've TRIED to get into baseball, really I have, ditto Aussie Rules, but as sports they just leaves me cold. However, as I say, if you like them then fair play to you.

I think there are a number of factors that influence why you like or dislike a sport: culture, upbringing, and sheer blind prejudice being three. There's also the ancillary package (cheerleaders etc for American sports), or having a pie and a pint at football. And these factors can change; I know I'm not alone when I say I've gone off 'our' football a bit and one of the reasons is the all the myriad competitions and the saturation TV coverage. I'd also rather pay a few quid and stand on a terrace under a tin roof as opposed to paying lots of quid for a state-of-the-art seat and a prawn sandwich. For American football I think the reverse.

Anyway, since the dawn of time in order to amuse ourselves humans have thrown things, kicked things and hit things with sticks. To say one particular codified version of kicking, throwing and/or hitting with a stick is intrinsically better than any other is obviously absurd.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Agree Brovian baseball and Aussie Rules leave me cold. The baseball games I went to Stateside (Baltimore Orioles) seemed more like excuses for people to meet up, catch up and have a beer, the game a nice visual backdrop, but not something that grips you, or at least not the Yanks around us where we used to sit.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Ahh, now baseball, that IS rubbish .....:p

No, I know that there are quite a few people on here who like baseball and so fair enough. I've TRIED to get into baseball, really I have, ditto Aussie Rules, but as sports they just leaves me cold. However, as I say, if you like them then fair play to you.

I think there are a number of factors that influence why you like or dislike a sport: culture, upbringing, and sheer blind prejudice being three. There's also the ancillary package (cheerleaders etc for American sports), or having a pie and a pint at football. And these factors can change; I know I'm not alone when I say I've gone off 'our' football a bit and one of the reasons is the all the myriad competitions and the saturation TV coverage. I'd also rather pay a few quid and stand on a terrace under a tin roof as opposed to paying lots of quid for a state-of-the-art seat and a prawn sandwich. For American football I think the reverse.

Anyway, since the dawn of time in order to amuse ourselves humans have thrown things, kicked things and hit things with sticks. To say one particular codified version of kicking, throwing and/or hitting with a stick is intrinsically better than any other is obviously absurd.

I'm sorry, but that just doesn't stand up to Withdean Wombat's thoughtful and cogent argument to the contrary.......:wrong:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Agree Brovian baseball and Aussie Rules leave me cold. The baseball games I went to Stateside (Baltimore Orioles) seemed more like excuses for people to meet up, catch up and have a beer, the game a nice visual backdrop, but not something that grips you, or at least not the Yanks around us where we used to sit.

To be fair, the Orioles would put anyone off baseball.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
All American sports go on too long. NFL highlights are alright (as are NBA and even College football) but a full game, no ta.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here