Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who the hell is Paul McCarthy?

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
He would have gone to Crawley in the summer but stupidly chose to go to Hornchurch instead.

Where is he now?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Tim Carder's book says no goals.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Wash your mouth out for not knowing who Paul McCarthy is !

And saying your only 17 is no excuse.
I bet you know who John Byrne and Mick Small are.....

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
I tell you now that Paul McCarthy has score for us. Remember the Bournemouth game at home under Brafy. #-1 down and Rust had been lobbed again for about the third successive game. Chappers thumps in a 30 yarder to make it 3-2 and then that almighty scramble in the sixyard box, their keeper had just gone off injures and then the ball pops up to super Macca and he nods it in, in front of the North Stand and the whole place erupts and goes f***ing bananas.

Possibly one of the best Saturday afternoon atmospheres at the Old Lady Goldstone in the last ten years of football there.

Great day, and I pulled a stunner in Swifts that night.

H2O

Jul 27, 2004
Hove
Digweeds Trousers said:
I tell you now that Paul McCarthy has score for us. Remember the Bournemouth game at home under Brafy. #-1 down and Rust had been lobbed again for about the third successive game. Chappers thumps in a 30 yarder to make it 3-2 and then that almighty scramble in the sixyard box, their keeper had just gone off injures and then the ball pops up to super Macca and he nods it in, in front of the North Stand and the whole place erupts and goes f***ing bananas.

Possibly one of the best Saturday afternoon atmospheres at the Old Lady Goldstone in the last ten years of football there.

Great day, and I pulled a stunner in Swifts that night.

im sure he has scored for us who always used to come up for corners sure he got a few from headers!!
Stunners in swifts:ohmy: when was that!!:lolol:

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
Paul, Paul, Super Paul!!

He DEFINITELY scored at least once for the Albion, away at Orient as Dancing Ninja said, I remember him crashing a header into the net right in front of us. If memory serves me correctly, Matthew Edwards scored twice in a 3 - 1 win, before Orient were even considered as minor rivals!

Pretty sure they scored with a free-kick that deflected into the net off Dean Wilkins' arse.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I'll say it again...

Good God.

The ignorance belies belief itself.

How can anyone forget Paul McCarthy, much less never heard of him?

What about that amazing game against Bournemouth when Edwards put us 1-0 up, the ref got subbed and we went 3-1 down. In the 81st minute Ian Chapman smashed one in from 30 yards, Macca goes up front and nets a last minute leveller.

Or the 2 bullet headers he got in consecutive weeks against the Welsh - Swansea, then Cardiff...

Or the time we had all strikers out and he played up front against Swindon...

Or the handball penalty he gave away at Bolton...

He even makes Roy Keane's book as being one of his best mates...

FFS he was also Captain for a while...

Last edited:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Paul McCarthy has just signed for Gravesend.

Quality player for us and a schoolboy pal of Roy Keane.

He did waddle rather than run though.

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
He was a great centre back for us. Never blessed with pace,n and not exactly Baresi on the ball, but he was as steady as you like. I'd have him up there with Cullip and Fozzie as the best defenders I've seen play for us. Sad day when we had to sell him to Wycombe.

D

Deleted User X18H

Dancin Ninja BHA said:
Blimey, that's taken me back!!

At that time we were in a higher division than Bolton and thought winning there wouldn't be a problem......! However, we were rubbish that day, and McCarthy did give away a ridiculous penalty

My memories of that day are the murky, misty conditions the game was played in, the fact you couldn't see one of the corner flags because a sodding great supermarket was attached to the back of the away stand (I kid you not!!) and Albion fans kicking off with one another when we were losing!!!

Not one of the better journeys home after watching Brighton away, not sure if Bolton has changed much over the last 10 years (hope so) as what I can remember, the town was depressingly crap and run down :(
Coming back from Boundray Park with Radio two as it was then 'it was a game of shirts Bolton in plain white Brighton in plain crazy'- Stuart Hall I think.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Joined us a a schoolboy at the same time as Roy Keane. Keane got homesick and went back home after a fortnight and was eventually brought back to England by Forest but Paul stayed. I think that is all true and my memory is not playing games with me.

Jul 20, 2003
hove born&bred said:
Coming back from Boundray Park with Radio two as it was then 'it was a game of shirts Bolton in plain white Brighton in plain crazy'- Stuart Hall I think.

A lot of games were frozen off that day so there was a fair bit of coverage on the radio on the way home

I seem to remember the phrase 'giant killing' being used

:ohmy:

Jul 20, 2003
I think he was captain for the Republic U21 team

anyway

6 league goals for us from 180 starts

career stats:

players_details.sd

Jul 20, 2003
the full harris said:
He even played up front once, at home to swindon who went up that year ..........

It was either play him up front or rely on Phil Andrews to lead the line

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Since when did Bolton play at Boundary Park... It was Burnden park in my day!

Also re Phil Andrews... he wasn't picked due to alleged recreational issues involving substances allegedly allegedly etc. either that or he was just crap.

Personally I met him in the bookies once and he was out of his box on something

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here