Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Who taps us on the shoulder and says "time you stopped driving old fruit"?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I did earlier in the thread but it ruins the anecdotes of dopey old pensioners.
But young drivers generally improve, or at least become somewhat more responsible.

My grandmother (well into her 80s at the time) was happily driving the very short distance from her flat to the Morrisons in Seaford, until she was forced to move to a different flat on the other side of the town centre. Not long after this my uncle recieved a call from a pub somewhere near Brighton asking if he could come and pick up a confused old lady who'd just come in saying she'd got lost on the way to the shops. It rapidly became apparent to all concerned apart from her that she definitely shouldn't be driving.

There's no point getting het up about people generalising about "dopey old pensioners". It happens to people.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think this is long overdue

I am 64 and my reaction time, eye sight and general health are not what they were when I was 17 however I do think my decision making is better decreasing my acceptance of risk.

I have only taken one driving test in 45 years although I did undertake a driving assessment for work probably 20 years ago.

cars have become far more technical and generally much safer with electric cars being as far removed from a 1970’s cortina as it could be.

My Dad in old age was a danger to himself driving, less so to others as he was so slow I don't think him hitting anything would have done much damage, I and others advised him to stop driving which understandably he was reluctant to take as being without transport would Massively reduce his world .
In the end the decision was taken by the fire brigade who attended a car incident involving my dad no one was injured and his car had very minor damage I am convinced that having spoken to my dad still sitting in the car at this stage that they made the decision for him as such they cut his car into bits in my opinion as a training exercise to free him when he was not trapped in anyway.

I think we should have to sit a driving refresh course including use of safer driving aids and driving assessment at retirement age which include proof of an eye test and appropriate glasses to drive safely.
Our cars need a yearly MOT so should the drivers
As a newly qualified OAP I applaud your sentiments. Perhaps a triage OAP test that is linked to a degree to the car owned (no point testing someone on use of radar-assisted parking if they don't have it) or very simple-generic would be useful. Reaction times, eyesight, route planning (including programming the sat nav) and maybe a quick spin involving an intersection and a mini roundabout. Done every year. There shouldn't need to be escalation to a full test, but a fail should require a swiftly implemented retest and two fails should mean 'time to pack it in mate, give us your keys'. I'd be happy to do that.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But young drivers generally improve, or at least become somewhat more responsible.

There's no point getting het up about people generalising about "dopey old pensioners". It happens to people.
Het up? I thought this was a debate? My fault, I’m sure.

So, we can generalise about old people, but not young people, who speed, crash, drink, take drugs, or kill people?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Het up? I thought this was a debate? My fault, I’m sure.

So, we can generalise about old people, but not young people, who speed, crash, drink, take drugs, or kill people?

You can take what I write as you please.

Similarly, you're free to make generalisations about young people. As you consistently have been doing.

Nobody's denying that young drivers are statistically more likely to cause an accident/death. But that doesn't alter the fact that most of us reach the point where we clearly shouldn't be driving a car. If we don't it's either because we've died first or given up the keys before it got to that point. There's no need to make the comparison.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You can take what I write as you please.

Similarly, you're free to make generalisations about young people. As you consistently have been doing.

Nobody's denying that young drivers are statistically more likely to cause an accident/death. But that doesn't alter the fact that most of us reach the point where we clearly shouldn't be driving a car. If we don't it's either because we've died first or given up the keys before it got to that point. There's no need to make the comparison.
Indeed, most older drivers do give up. The insinuation in this thread is many old people are too stupid, or stubborn to give up, and someone has to tap them on the shoulder to make them behave.
It’s even in the title.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Indeed, most older drivers do give up. The insinuation in this thread is many old people are too stupid, or stubborn to give up, and someone has to tap them on the shoulder to make them behave.
It’s even in the title.
Plenty do, and all power to them.

Unfortunately some don't realise what's happening to them (and there's a difference between "gradual slowing of your reactions to the point that you yourself have concerns" and dementia of whatever form) And that's sadly the case for a sizeable number of people, and at some point somebody should step in one way or another.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The difficulty with making older people take retests is that the driving test is not designed to see if people have the required technical ability and experience. It is designed to see if people with no experience at all, have the technical ability.

Younger people are more likely to have the technical skills but also more likely to be stupid with it. A driving test will not confirm whether the learner driver is going to drive at 60mph or more on little country lanes.

Older people are often less technically skilled but have the experience to know what they can't do. And in many cases, unfortunately not all cases, they will cut down. My mother gave up motorway driving, then gave up night driving, then gave up driving on unfamiliar roads, before she gave up altogether.

Mind you, she still has her licence which we have renewed three times since she gave up driving. She gave up foreign travel as well and it's cheaper to renew a driving licence than a passport. There is nothing on the medical declaration that automatically disqualifies her, she's just too old.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It’s even in the title.
That wasn't why I started it or, as I have read the replies, how people have generally responded. It is about how to keep people safe and how to pick up people who, as they get older, lose their driving faculties, don't realise, and don't have someone close to pick this up.

The age versus driver risk graph is W shaped, with reckless yoof at one end, and the increasingly impaired elderly at the other, with of course the dick-head middle aged (mostly) male risk taker in the middle. I survived the first two experiences (just - I ditched the GTI after some reckless old-boy-racer scrapes in my 50s) but am now staring (or not, in fact) at the final challenge. Mrs T may have trouble discriminating between my inherent risk taking and my cerebral decline. By whom, and how else will my inadequacy be picked up and disarmed? That's the question.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The difficulty with making older people take retests is that the driving test is not designed to see if people have the required technical ability and experience. It is designed to see if people with no experience at all, have the technical ability.

Younger people are more likely to have the technical skills but also more likely to be stupid with it. A driving test will not confirm whether the learner driver is going to drive at 60mph or more on little country lanes.

Older people are often less technically skilled but have the experience to know what they can't do. And in many cases, unfortunately not all cases, they will cut down. My mother gave up motorway driving, then gave up night driving, then gave up driving on unfamiliar roads, before she gave up altogether.

Mind you, she still has her licence which we have renewed three times since she gave up driving. She gave up foreign travel as well and it's cheaper to renew a driving licence than a passport. There is nothing on the medical declaration that automatically disqualifies her, she's just too old.
Indeed. That's why I proposed something different. See post #83

Jun 21, 2011
Blimey, I'm sorry to hear how young he is. Dementia is horrible enough at any age, but getting it in his 50s is awful.
While the diagnosis was no shock, he started displaying symptoms in covid it was scary how quickly he got worse. We found him several support groups since that he attends including one run by BHA Foundation with Guy Butters that he enjoys.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
No one mentioning drivers at the other end of the age scale, who are arguably more irresponsible than us "oldies" ?
PS Japan are planning a deal where drivers over 70 are being offered a deal, where they hand over their licence, in excchange for the government to pay 50% of their funeral costs !
No, because it’s a thread about the menace of old drivers who continue to well beyond their ability to react as they did when younger or even see ahead properly.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
It’s even in the title.
Definitely stubborn. Many are, as people experiences including mine are being told. Yours to label stupid too if desired. I think you’re being a bit precious and maybe it’s touched a nerve. It’s an issue, hence people are contributing to the debate.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
And being check tested every three years.
Since I gave up being an ADI, even my driving has deteriorated somewhat....not much cos I'm brilliant at everything, but enough for me to tut at myself
I would go as far as saying every 3 years (I'm an ADI) but the photo licence is renewed every 10 years and I would suggest that there should be a retest at that point. I would also require all cars to be fitted with telematic unit and that would be linked to the cost of your insurance. As regards insurance, if you are found to be driving a car (that isn't stolen) without insurance, the car is seized and if within 14 days you can't prove that there was an administration error, the vehicle is crushed (or auctioned), whether you are the owner or not.

If you're caught without insurance then the minimum fine should be twice the equivalent basic insurance premium or 10% of your last years earnings, whichever is greater.

Unfortunately, there is an agenda in some groups to try to demonize any government as anti motorist and most politicians of any party are unlikely to be seen to rock the boat!

As for this thread, once you are 70 you should be subject to a medical relating to your suitability to carry on driving every 3 years. That said, you have a requirement at any age to report to DVLA any notifiable condition DVLA - Notifying conditions

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I would go as far as saying every 3 years (I'm an ADI) but the photo licence is renewed every 10 years and I would suggest that there should be a retest at that point. I would also require all cars to be fitted with telematic unit and that would be linked to the cost of your insurance. As regards insurance, if you are found to be driving a car (that isn't stolen) without insurance, the car is seized and if within 14 days you can't prove that there was an administration error, the vehicle is crushed (or auctioned), whether you are the owner or not.

If you're caught without insurance then the minimum fine should be twice the equivalent basic insurance premium or 10% of your last years earnings, whichever is greater.

Unfortunately, there is an agenda in some groups to try to demonize any government as anti motorist and most politicians of any party are unlikely to be seen to rock the boat!

As for this thread, once you are 70 you should be subject to a medical relating to your suitability to carry on driving every 3 years. That said, you have a requirement at any age to report to DVLA any notifiable condition DVLA - Notifying conditions
Why not just include the driver in the crusher along with the car? That’ll learn ‘em.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I’m almost 76, and in the process of my second three year renewal, it’s difficult doing shopping without a car, with medical reasons why I can’t do heavy lifting. Fortunately my other half does that. I know my limitations now, and only drive locally, as I have problems with night driving due to cataracts regrowing. I will be having laser treatment soon.
Hello there, you are the same age as me, I am 76 next month and am in the process of renewing my d/l. I had an Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm repaired at the RSCH last year and am now fit as a fiddle. However, as the aneurysm was just over 6cm., I had to inform the DVLA last year, before it was repaired. I was allowed to continue driving and after repair they issued me with a one year licence, which is soon to expire, so I recently applied for my renewal only to be told by the DVLA that they want to speak to my surgeon to ensure my fitness to drive. I expressed some surprise as he had confirmed last year that my aneurysm had been repaired and all was well. Anyway, I rang my surgeon’s secretary to give her the heads up to expect a letter from the DVLA and she too was surprised at this, saying that they would be inundated if the DVLA did the same for all those patients who had the same procedure as myself! Perhaps I have just been unlucky, but it is a bit of a pain at the best of times dealing with the DVLA!
Good luck with your laser treatment.👍

Last edited:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
It has been an interesting read going through all the posts on this topic.
As an older driver, I take on board all the comments regarding us old buffers and I hope I shall be sensible enough to ‘hand over the keys’, when the time is right to do so. I used to drive quite considerable distances in my working life without thinking about it, but I know that would be quite beyond me now and I wouldn’t attempt to do so. Likewise, I am never in a hurry these days so there is less pressing the metal to the floor and I have also adopted a more defensive method of driving by better anticipating what the other drivers on the road may do and what actions I may have to take.(maybe like a wise old midfielder whose legs may have gone a bit, but the footy brain compensates for the lack of pace, if that makes any sense!)
My old man used to love driving and his time goes back to before the driving test was in place! He used to drive extensively in this country and also all over Europe on holidays when he was capable of doing so; however, post that time, he did carry on pootling around locally and he carried on for too long until we ‘persuaded’ him to pack up. He was the most stubborn old bugger I think I’ve ever known. I hasten to add that I haven’t inherited that gene. Phew!😁

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here