Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who Starts up front next season?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Not sure if you have seen this;

KNIGHT BLOW FOR BRIGHTON
Click here for more Nationwide Two news

Brighton's play-off hero Leon Knight is set to miss the start of the 2004-05 Division One season after he was given a three-game ban.

Knight's penalty had earned the Seagulls a 1-0 play-off final victory over Bristol City in Cardiff.

But the 21-year-old will serve the suspension after the FA found Knight guilty of violent conduct during the 2-1 defeat at Sheffield Wednesday in March.

Officials at Soho Square made their decision last week following a personal hearing at which Knight was represented by Albion reserve coach Dean White, although the disciplinary panel's decision was not announced until after the play-off final.

Meanwhile, Richard Carpenter, who scored Brighton's consolation goal in that Hillsborough encounter, is also expected to miss the start of the next campaign while recovering from knee surgery.

A series of injections had seen Carpenter through the promotion push.

But now the 31-year-old is set to go under the knife with surgeons predicting a rehabilitation period lasting at least three months.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Lee and Iwelumo, that'll have Leeds scared rigid.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
im sure we are looking to strenghen up front anyway cos leon and chris need competition but even if we do maybe we may look to bring someone in on loan to cover for leon suspension afterall this time last year who would av guessed we'd open the season with leon and henderson upfront and mcphee on the bench

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
scarfer1 said:
i've heard a rumor that Benjamin is on his way back? i for one would be happy to see him again.
I too have heard that but not from anyone i would call trustworthy... Would be great to have Knight, Benji & Lumo up front next season!

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
City have released Tony Rougier and West Ham, Brian Deane...... two big men up front???

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Bit of realism here chaps - Iwelumo is a lumbering centre forward he didn't really look that good for Div 2 and certainly didn;t look like a Div 1 player.

He may be a bit-part player next season but if he is our main alternative to Leon then we can forget about staying up.

Could be worse though - we could be relying on David Lee:D

kevinsmith

Jan 25, 2004
Portslade
I have heard that Neil Mellor was all set to go to Crewe on a years loan prior to GH departing. However he has told someone connected with the club he would love to play for the Albion.

Bet we could not afford his wages?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
thedonkeycentrehalf said:
Bit of realism here chaps - Iwelumo is a lumbering centre forward he didn't really look that good for Div 2 and certainly didn;t look like a Div 1 player.

Agree with you there. Haven't been impressed by his overall performance. Would rather he was a back-up with a decent new signing taking the main spot alongside Knight.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
kevinsmith said:
I have heard that Neil Mellor was all set to go to Crewe on a years loan prior to GH departing. However he has told someone connected with the club he would love to play for the Albion.

Bet we could not afford his wages?

I can't believe that Mellor would be on that much? He's only a kid, and I'm sure Liverpool would help out in order to get him regular first team football.

Anyway, yeah I heard he was going to Crewe as well.

I would pair New signing with Loan signing. But in my dreams.

Lumo and Piercy.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
mellor was going to crewe but dario gradi said it had fallen through due to houllier getting the tin tac

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
we've had a couple of threads on here about the rouge being released

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here