Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who should take our penalties in the league?

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
All about confidence with Neal though isn't it. His penalty record is still pretty good (11/13) but it was flawless before he joined us (7/7). He's now missed two - Liverpool and Leicester but he also scored a panenka against Man Utd.

He looks shot of all confidence at this moment and his performance and pathetic penalty last night are part of a wider problem of form, confidence and movement. Trossard is exactly the same.

I'm a big fan of showing faith in players quality, trusting in them to lift their heads and rediscover their form. I'm not sure Potter agrees with me and if he continues to drop players that aren't performing (from the squad or penalty duties) then I can't see our players turning it around quickly.

I agree with most of what you say but then the problem I have with Maups is his stupid decision making and total lack of instinct at times. The ball arrives at his feel in the box and yet he seems totally aghast it would have come to him, instead of adjusting his body and turning it in with one touch. Or being put clean through and inexplicably cutting on to his weak foot to tamely roll the shot at the keeper or let the CB get a touch on it. Or, back to the point, having a penalty and instead of making it count (like he did v WHU) he tries to be cute, give the keep the eyes and then blindly fire the ball wide of the other post. At least v Liv he actually kicked it cleanly but V Newport it was scuffed, wide and saved all at the same time. It appears if the finish simply requires one touch he deems it too easy and an insult to his ability and thus makes it as complicated as possible for style points.

So I can totally forgive mistakes and I do applaud his effort to keep trying to be brave in his decisions but at some point there needs to be a time where GP puts a stop to it, like he needs to with defensive concentration, too. The goal conceded V Newport was hilariously predictable. Steele wouldn’t have had to make all those saves if he just put his fist through that cross.

Anyway, where was I? Someone else on Pens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here