Votes: 111 36.2%
  • Me

Votes: 13 4.2%

• Total voters

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I voted for Warren Aspinal, that guy's reading of a game is second to none. I like the way he calls the substitutions way before the manager makes them, shame he 's not more involved in the club.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Potter got us more points in the EPL last year than Hughton ever did.

His line up against the Arse was explained in today's press conference. Have a listen and you'll go 'oh, OK then :shrug:'.

:thumbsup:

What have you (and a hell of a lot of others on here) got against our most successful manager ever?
Fair enough defending Potter, but the whataboutery on Hughton is pathetic, absolutely pathetic.

So quick to forget those brilliant seasons getting to the “promised land”.
It’s pretty disgraceful, as was his unceremonious sacking

Someone else moaned that Chris Hughton had only been able to get a job at the bottom end of the Championship, since being chucked out.

Forgetting of course, that he took on our club, when we were at the bottom end of the Championship. And finished up being chucked out after getting automatic promotion, keeping the club up twice, and with a better points per game in the EPL than our current manager.

Hughton had a dreadful run of results, but started at Xmas that year from a position of strength. The squad was light, mostly Championship players with a few cheap imports that made the grade, and some expensive ones that didn’t.

Now, the squad has been built having had two seasons in the EPL, with a few (relatively) cheap imports. It’s worth remembering that Hughton didn’t have the benefit of Webster £20m, Maupay £20m, MacAllister, Lamptey, Trossard £15m, Llallana and Welbeck.
He had an ageing Murray and Bruno, Duffy and Montoya and Ryan.

And yet we are worse off at this moment than we have ever been, with some very tough games to come.

I don’t blame Potter, I felt sorry for him when he was appointed, as he was always destined to be operating in and around the relegation zone with the funding available. As was Hughton

So why can’t we leave off the Hughton slagging?

He achieved dramatically more than Potter has for this club.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What have you (and a hell of a lot of others on here) got against our most successful manager ever?
Fair enough defending Potter, but the whataboutery on Hughton is pathetic, absolutely pathetic.

Someone else moaned that Chris Hughton had only been able to get a job at the bottom end of the Championship, since being chucked out.

Forgetting of course, that he took on our club, when we were at the bottom end of the Championship. And finished up being chucked out after getting automatic promotion, keeping the club up twice, and with a better points per game in the EPL than our current manager.

Hughton had a dreadful run of results, but started at Xmas that year from a position of strength. The squad was light, mostly Championship players with a few cheap imports that made the grade, and some expensive ones that didn’t.

Now, the squad has been built having had two seasons in the EPL, with a few (relatively) cheap imports. It’s worth remembering that Hughton didn’t have the benefit of Webster £20m, Maupay £20m, MacAllister, Lamptey, Trossard £15m, Llallana and Welbeck.

And yet we are worse off at this moment than we have ever been, with some very tough games to come.

I don’t blame Potter, I felt sorry for him when he was appointed, as he was always destined to be operating in and around the relegation zone with the funding available. As was Hughton

I suspect I was replying to someone who brought up Hughton. I don't have anything against Hughton. Not my narrative :shrug:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

Ffs. Let him go man. Or go support Forest. Meanwhile, In the real world, Potter out pointed your hero at his first prem attempt. And with similar funding BTW...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Ffs. Let him go man. Or go support Forest. Meanwhile, In the real world, Potter out pointed your hero at his first prem attempt. And with similar funding BTW...

No reasons to do comparisons like that. GP saying he helped the team getting the most points in the PL years so far was simply his way of saying "we´re not as shit as some say" rather than "Im much better than CH".

They had different missions, if Ive read up correctly.

TB says that in the long run he hopes the club could become a top 10 club in the PL. He also said that the club might get relegated somewhere in this long-term ambition.

CH had the job of saving the team in the Championship. He did. He also had the job of giving the club a stability that wont pretty much ever take it below Championship. He did. He even did a little bit better than that, taking the club into the Premier League. While there, he had the job to save the club in the PL, allowing the club to get some fat paychecks to hire people, improve facilities etc. He did.

Potter got a different set of objectives. Give the club a modern style of playing. Give the club use for those new fancy facilities and possibilites by introducing young players. Give the club a new, more viable and elite football level adapted identity on the pitch.

You could say CH had results based objectives securing the opportunity to go do more adventerous stuff. He did it in excellent fashion. Potter got more identity based objectives, so far carrying them out in a decent manner. TB will probably judge them a lot based on these things. CH going down without giving young players etc. a chance would have been the end for him. Potter staying up but doing things in the CH manner would probably have had him sacked at the end of last season. Instead even a relegation could possibly be tolerated as long as GP fulfills the objective to change the on-pitch identity.

In the long run both of these men did and have done a lot to make Brighton get closer to the long-term target. The manager finally reaching that could possibly be an entirely different one, building on what CH established and GP expanded on. Or it might be GP going all the way, who knows. Either which way the shouldnt be compared. CH shouldnt get a lot of shit because his team was "boring" and GP shouldnt get a bunch of shit because the "results/league table placements are not progressing". They did/are doing what they were brought in to do.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015

Do we really need to do this again?

Hughton took over the club at the bottom of the Championship - got promoted and kept the club in the PL for two season - Potter came in, had an already existing base to build on, had the benefit of £70m+ of new players and gained ONE point more than Hughton did in his first PL campaign. While it is an improvement - it is a very slight improvement. Would you be arguing that Potter is a better manager if he gets one point more than Hughton did in 18/19 and Brighton get relegated anyway?

Hughton is gone - his legacy is clear - Potter's legacy still has to be determined and if the club get relegated this season then that is what Potter will be remembered for - not for getting ONE point more than Hughton last season.

Now - I am still skeptical about whether Potter is any good as a PL manager. In my view the jury is still out . I hope is does turn out to be the next PL whizzkid - but let's see how things pan out before suggesting that he is remotely as accomplished a manager as Chris Hughton.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

Hughton took over the club at the bottom of the Championship - got promoted and kept the club in the PL for two season - Potter came in, had an already existing base to build on, had the benefit of £70m+ of new players and gained ONE point more than Hughton did in his first PL campaign. While it is an improvement - it is a very slight improvement. Would you be arguing that Potter is a better manager if he gets one point more than Hughton did in 18/19 and Brighton get relegated anyway?

Hughton is gone - his legacy is clear - Potter's legacy still has to be determined and if the club get relegated this season then that is what Potter will be remembered for - not for getting ONE point more than Hughton last season.

Now - I am still skeptical about whether Potter is any good as a PL manager. In my view the jury is still out . I hope is does turn out to be the next PL whizzkid - but let's see how things pan out before suggesting that he is remotely as accomplished a manager as Chris Hughton.

This is the problem. The budget WAS similar. The points total WAS bigger, and was achieved whilst transforming us from a team playing the most boring football I have ever seen to somewhere near the best I have seen us play. In addition, Potter actually gave youth a chance, which your beloved failed to do. Other than that, I agree with you.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
No reasons to do comparisons like that. GP saying he helped the team getting the most points in the PL years so far was simply his way of saying "we´re not as shit as some say" rather than "Im much better than CH".

TB says that in the long run he hopes the club could become a top 10 club in the PL. He also said that the club might get relegated somewhere in this long-term ambition.

CH had the job of saving the team in the Championship. He did. He also had the job of giving the club a stability that wont pretty much ever take it below Championship. He did. He even did a little bit better than that, taking the club into the Premier League. While there, he had the job to save the club in the PL, allowing the club to get some fat paychecks to hire people, improve facilities etc. He did.

Potter got a different set of objectives. Give the club a modern style of playing. Give the club use for those new fancy facilities and possibilites by introducing young players. Give the club a new, more viable and elite football level adapted identity on the pitch.

You could say CH had results based objectives securing the opportunity to go do more adventerous stuff. He did it in excellent fashion. Potter got more identity based objectives, so far carrying them out in a decent manner. TB will probably judge them a lot based on these things. CH going down without giving young players etc. a chance would have been the end for him. Potter staying up but doing things in the CH manner would probably have had him sacked at the end of last season. Instead even a relegation could possibly be tolerated as long as GP fulfills the objective to change the on-pitch identity.

In the long run both of these men did and have done a lot to make Brighton get closer to the long-term target. The manager finally reaching that could possibly be an entirely different one, building on what CH established and GP expanded on. Or it might be GP going all the way, who knows. Either which way the shouldnt be compared. CH shouldnt get a lot of shit because his team was "boring" and GP shouldnt get a bunch of shit because the "results/league table placements are not progressing". They did/are doing what they were brought in to do.

That seems more reasonable TBH

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Very good and accurate post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Excellent post and I can see why you're vying with Eddie Howe for second spot in the poll :thumbsup:

I still find it absolutely incredible that a diet of Puff and Pizza produces posts like this whilst a diet of Puff and Porn produces [MENTION=21401]pastafarian[/MENTION]. Just goes to show it's all about getting the right ingredients :wink:

Last edited:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

no, we don't; plainly, you do. how many years have you been banging this same flippin' drum? please stop, you dullard.

i just checked, notts f. in the drop zone, have the forest fans fukced you off?

maybe hughton is not the messiah.....?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Good post and agree with, all bar the point above. Potter has a fair bit more to do to fit that description, but lets hope he does

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Let it go. The overwhelming majority of us are Brighton fans, not manager fans. Players and managers come and go.
The King is dead, long live the King.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Hughtom is gone - his legacy is clear - Potter's legacy still has to be determined and if the club get relegated this season then that is what Potter will be remembered for - not for getting ONE point more than Hughton last season.

Undoubtedly true. Lets hope Potter has more time to create a legacy.

UTA

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
no, we don't; plainly, you do. how many years have you been banging this same flippin' drum? please stop, you dullard.
And now we get the insults - I am not the one who keeps bringing up the topic.

just checked, notts f. in the drop zone, have the forest fans fukced you off?

maybe hughton is not the messiah.....?
Yep - Forest are in the relegation places in a very competitive division - Hughton has a really tough job on his hands - a bloated squad with 35 players and no striker. Like Brighton, they are struggling to score goals - despite playing attacking football. I think he will turn things around - but the Forest owners are quite fickle so we will have to wait and see if he is given the opportunity.

Anyway -

Brighton's current form - LDDDL
Forest - LWDDD

Since Hughton took over at Forest - 4W, 7D, 7L - 14G - 19 GA

In the same time - Brighton - 1W, 7D, 4L - 10GF - 15GA

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Let it go. The overwhelming majority of us are Brighton fans, not manager fans. Players and managers come and go.
The King is dead, long live the King.

Tell the people who feel they need to keep bringing it up - and yes they do - doesn't mean I still cannot be a fan of a manager (or a player for that matter).

As for the King - I would prefer a participatory democracy (i.e. football run by the fans, club staff and the players).

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
This is the problem. The budget WAS similar. The points total WAS bigger, and was achieved whilst transforming us from a team playing the most boring football I have ever seen to somewhere near the best I have seen us play. In addition, Potter actually gave youth a chance, which your beloved failed to do. Other than that, I agree with you.

No - the budget was bigger - £70m - and it was a budget built on top of two other seasons in the PL. And yes - the point total was bigger - by ONE point.

Was the football boring - yes it was - out of necessity given the squad he had available. We have no idea what Hughton would have done with the playing style with another year and another £70m spent on players. Potter's teams have largely been entertaining to watch and I have enjoyed watching them. But to be honest - in the game against Arsenal the pretty passing was boring as f*ck. and we still have to see if Potter can get the team out of the funk they are in and keep the club in the PL with his pretty passing game.

As for giving youth a chance - people here were screaming that Hughton wouldn't play Connoly (and the same people now want Connolly loaned out to a Championship - or L1 - club) and Alzate (who had a broken back) and complained that White was out on loan - yet Potter sent White out on loan again last season. These players are two years older and apart from White are still not getting significant playing time. Who was Hughton supposed to play?

As I pointed out elsewhere - in the last couple of weeks at Forest Hughton has dropped Knockhaert to play an 18 year-old kid and is playing a 19 year-old at CB who had all of one game under his belt when Hughton arrived at Forest. The majority of his team at Forest are 23 or under.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
And now we get the insults - I am not the one who keeps bringing up the topic.

Yep - Forest are in the relegation places in a very competitive division - Hughton has a really tough job on his hands - a bloated squad with 35 players and no striker. Like Brighton, they are struggling to score goals - despite playing attacking football. I think he will turn things around - but the Forest owners are quite fickle so we will have to wait and see if he is given the opportunity.

Anyway -

Brighton's current form - LDDDL
Forest - LWDDD

Since Hughton took over at Forest - 4W, 7D, 7L - 14G - 19 GA

In the same time - Brighton - 1W, 7D, 4L - 10GF - 15GA

you take offence at correctly being called a dullard; i take offence at needless repetition, it's so rude, so self obsessed, and dull

you don't mention being kicked of the forest message boards for some reason, and then go on to compare the prem and the champ, fuk me :ffsparr:

are you six? why are you so obsessed with hughton? you do know he's not irish, right?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here