Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who should light the London 2012 Olympic flame?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Dame Thora Hurd?

The Children of Mile Oak?

Someone that has done their Fire Safety Awareness (level 1) certificate?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Carole?

Seriously though, I'm with Titanic. It's a world stage so ideally needs someone who's British and instantly recognised everywhere - got to be Beckham.

No no please no.

Firstly, Beckham seems to be the default sportsman utilised by the powers that be whenever they need to raise the profile or whatever it is they're pushing. It's boring, and it's insulting to the hundreds of other sportsmen and women who work their butts off, day in, day out, for peanuts compared to what Beckham has earned.

And secondly, we're talking about the Olympic games here. A festival of sports, most of which struggle for recognition and funding (even athletics) when compared to the media monster that is football. Plus we have singularly IGNORED the Olympic football tournament for decades now: why on EARTH should we suddenly push a fading footballer to the forefront to symbolise this whole Olympic event?

Sorry, but it would be a huge insult to all our other sportsmen and women to have Beckham heading this event and, not for the first time, grabbing all the limelight, when you look at the effort put in over the years for little reward by all our athletes, weightlifters, badminton players, swimmers, divers, wrestlers, amateur boxers, archers, rowers and so on. And also....where does it say the flame has to be lit by someone that Thais or Kenyans or Australians recognise? Do you remember who lit the flame at Beijing? Athens? Sydney?

Five gold medals in consecutive Olympics, a feat that will probably never be achieved again by an Olympian surely demands it's Redgrave.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'd have thought it's probably going to be Redgrave. Failing that, you've got plenty of other Olympians worthy of mention.

Matthew Pinsent (never have four gold medals been so ignored)
Ben Ainslie
Rebecca Adlington
Daley Thompson
Steve Cram
Dame Kelly Holmes
Jonathan Edwards
Chris Hoy
Victoria Pendleton
David Hemery

And so on. There are lots of perfectly worthy candidates. So long as it's not a bloody footballer or a horsey member of the royal family, I'm sure it will be a great event.

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
I'd have thought it's probably going to be Redgrave. Failing that, you've got plenty of other Olympians worthy of mention.

Matthew Pinsent (never have four gold medals been so ignored)
Ben Ainslie
Rebecca Adlington
Daley Thompson
Steve Cram
Dame Kelly Holmes
Jonathan Edwards
Chris Hoy
Victoria Pendleton
David Hemery

And so on. There are lots of perfectly worthy candidates. So long as it's not a bloody footballer or a horsey member of the royal family, I'm sure it will be a great event.

Zara Phillips?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
THIS fine chap

fartpants.jpg

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
No no please no.

Firstly, Beckham seems to be the default sportsman utilised by the powers that be whenever they need to raise the profile or whatever it is they're pushing. It's boring, and it's insulting to the hundreds of other sportsmen and women who work their butts off, day in, day out, for peanuts compared to what Beckham has earned.

And secondly, we're talking about the Olympic games here. A festival of sports, most of which struggle for recognition and funding (even athletics) when compared to the media monster that is football. Plus we have singularly IGNORED the Olympic football tournament for decades now: why on EARTH should we suddenly push a fading footballer to the forefront to symbolise this whole Olympic event?

Sorry, but it would be a huge insult to all our other sportsmen and women to have Beckham heading this event and, not for the first time, grabbing all the limelight, when you look at the effort put in over the years for little reward by all our athletes, weightlifters, badminton players, swimmers, divers, wrestlers, amateur boxers, archers, rowers and so on. And also....where does it say the flame has to be lit by someone that Thais or Kenyans or Australians recognise? Do you remember who lit the flame at Beijing? Athens? Sydney?

But David is surely going to be the Captain of the Great Britain football team? What more fitting a tribute to his fine career could there be?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
is that not the winter olympics, which we will never hold lol

we should though that would be f***ing excellent. live from aviemore. why not? people flying down at 100kph and hitting a patch of grass now that would be worth seeing.

we could also resurrect borowskis in newhaven for a training camp.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
But David is surely going to be the Captain of the Great Britain football team? What more fitting a tribute to his fine career could there be?

I *THINK* I'm detecting a hint of sarcasm in your post, at least I hope I am :)

He shouldn't be anywhere near the football team either, frankly it annoyed me when he loudly announced his availability for it last week. It's an Under 23 tournament, let's use it to give our decent young players a go, not as one more publicity stunt for faded international players. If he can't get in the main England team, there is no reason to have him in the Olympic squad.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
we should though that would be f***ing excellent. live from aviemore. why not? people flying down at 100kph and hitting a patch of grass now that would be worth seeing.

we could also resurrect borowskis in newhaven for a training camp.

Ice over the Royal Pavilion gardens again for the skating events, drag a snow-machine up the Ditchling Beacon road and use it for the Super Giant Slalom. And there are parts of our major cities where people are very much used to shooting and legging it, so would be the perfect venue for the biathlon.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Ice over the Royal Pavilion gardens again for the skating events, drag a snow-machine up the Ditchling Beacon road and use it for the Super Giant Slalom. And there are parts of our major cities where people are very much used to shooting and legging it, so would be the perfect venue for the biathlon.

the brighton centre is well versed in hosting ice spectaculars already its a shoe in. plus a guaranteed sell out for the ice dancing in brighton.

just freeze the level over for the snowboarding as well all the stoner skaters will love all that.

Brighton Winter Olympics 20-something. It would be Brilliant and these days it can be done. Except the greens will probably get arsey about artificial snow and all that. Do something useful Fanshawe and get on this - now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here