Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who remembers when we had interesting pre-seaon friendlies?

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Would you believe here Perth Western Australia we have Wolves and Fulham playing pre-season A-League friendlies against our own Perth Glory, plus the new Queennsland team featuring none other than Robbie Fowler..... Booby Zamora in Perth, would you adam and eve it:cool:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It was before 1994.I can remember having some banter with a Spurs supporting mate at work who used to rave about this young defender called Sol Campbell.I think we played Spurs a couple of times in pre season at the Goldstone.

You sure? I remember us playing spurs in 94 and a young sol campbell playing. The only other time I can remember us playing spurs was in a testimonial game (maybe graham moseley's?) in about 1990. Gazza scored a free kick. Don't know if sol campbell played in that game but if he did he would have been about 16?

Seagull Stew

Are you sure on that?

I remember us playing Wednesday for Dean Wilkins testimonial, and he got probably the worst reception for anyone who was celebrating a testimonial, hardly a murmur from the north stand.

We also played Spurs and got thumped another time, so that might be the game that Hoddle played in.

Dean Wilkins' testimonial was against QPR. It finished 1-1 and our Johnny Byrne was cheered every time he got the ball by the QPR fans. Dean's brother Ray was playing for QPR then too.

The defeat to Sheffield Wedneday, Steve Foster's testimonial was actually due to be played after the last game of the 95-96 season but was postponed until the pre-season of 96-97 due to an unplayable pitch. Something about the pitch being dug-up during a pitch invasion against York City!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here