Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who remembers when we had interesting pre-seaon friendlies?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We used to have loads. The best would have been Spurs at the Goldstone which was billed as Klinsman's 1st game for Spurs, he didn't turn up but it sticks in my mind because it was the 1st time I saw Sol Campbell play. Skinny, comparatively, at the time and he had our hero Nogan in his pocket all game and had twice as much pace as our fastest forward.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
We used to have loads. The best would have been Spurs at the Goldstone which was billed as Klinsman's 1st game for Spurs, he didn't turn up but it sticks in my mind because it was the 1st time I saw Sol Campbell play. Skinny, comparatively, at the time and he had our hero Nogan in his pocket all game and had twice as much pace as our fastest forward.

I visited my parents at the weekend and found the programme for this match - it was a brilliant read! Such players as Barnby, Anderton, Sheringham, Campbell and Ian Walker in the spurs team!

That was one of my first few football matches :thumbsup:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
A thing of the past I'm afraid. The top clubs are too busy on money spinning tours of the USA and far east, or playing in sponsored tournaments against european teams. That one that Arsenal and Ajax always play in is televised on Sky, what a joke, who seroiusly gives a shit :shrug:

Championship or very crap premier league clubs are the best we can hope for these days.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
A thing of the past I'm afraid. The top clubs are too busy on money spinning tours of the USA and far east, or playing in sponsored tournaments against european teams. That one that Arsenal and Ajax always play in is televised on Sky, what a joke, who seroiusly gives a shit :shrug:

Championship or very crap premier league clubs are the best we can hope for these days.

Can't see why we couldn't attract a touring team. I want somebody exotic - not some non-descript Championship side.

Espanyol and Barcelona have both been in the UK for pre-season tours in recent years. The Italian & Spanish leagues start later so the timing would fit.

Brighton v Athletic Bilbao would float my boat.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Great game 5-5? after leading quite convincingly at half time?

didnt they bring their proper side on in the second half and made us look very silly

It was part of the Stefan Iovan deal I seem to recall.

I spoke to Barry LLoyd about Iovan and it was financial that we didnt play him as much as Barry would have liked.

In the eighties
we had pre-season friendlies
against

Manchester Utd, Liverpool, Norttingham forest (all European Champions)

Now
we get a host of non league non entities......

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I understand that,but why can't we get a decent game and go to them.

Teams want to (where possible) break even or make a bit of money on friendly's; a premiership team would not play us at their ground for the same reason we wouln't play Worthing at Withdean.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I understand that,but why can't we get a decent game and go to them.

I can't understand that either, not coming to Withdean, fair enough but I'd have thought a Championship club or lower Premiership club at their place, why not?

I reckon over the last 10 years we must have had the shittest pre-season friendlies of just about any league club :angry:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think you will find that the team that turns up is billed up as an "Arsean;l XI" rather than "Arsenal". They have several Xis that play games on the same day!

Well at least I get the chance to see some of these Arsenal youngsters that we are always just missing out on :lol:

D

Deleted User X18H

In 1985 Liverpool asked US for a pre season friendly!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here