Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Who remembers the Asbestos Mats we use to use in School Chemistry Lessons

D

Deleted member 2719

Owned two but had access to another:

My Brothers 1961 Slimline Featherbed 600cc Dominator 99

My own 1973 'Combat' 750cc Commando Café Racer

Finally I had a 'Hybrid' Slimline Framed 850cc Mk2A Commando Café Racer - it had to go a few years back as no suspension travel and a chronic bad back signalled that my café racing days were sadly over!

Still got the CBR 600F2 in my avatar - a much more comfortable ride but not quite the same...

Nice, everyone should have a bike or four.punk:

My Dad/Me & my Son were called out to service the two 1" ball-valves on the main cold water tanks
Q. How many generations of plumbers does it take to service a ball valve? :)

I suspect you made those figures up for affect!

There were around 2,800 deaths last year due to mesothelioma and about a further 2,000 other asbestos related deaths.

That's the problem, a lack of education on the subject.

I have been involved in various debates between the insurance industry and the government on various asbestos issues and would be happy to answer yours or anybody else's questions or concerns on the matter.
Maybe Toe's figures were World-wide.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I suspect you made those figures up for affect!

There were around 2,800 deaths last year due to mesothelioma and about a further 2,000 other asbestos related deaths.

That's the problem, a lack of education on the subject.

I have been involved in various debates between the insurance industry and the government on various asbestos issues and would be happy to answer yours or anybody else's questions or concerns on the matter.

I suspect I didn't. Maybe the World Health organisation did - they are like that. We are very fortunate to have you to provide us with more acurate information due to our lack of education and stupidity.

http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/89/10/11-086678/en/

The global mesothelioma burden is unclear. Driscoll et al. estimated that as many as 43 000 people worldwide die from the disease each year.5 It has also been estimated that there are around 10 000 mesothelioma cases annually in Australia, Japan, North America and western Europe combined.1 In addition, Park et al. suggested that one mesothelioma case may be overlooked for every four to five recorded.6 Reports of an increase in the incidence of mesothelioma have been published in a wide range of countries.7–11 However, to date there is no established global baseline that can be used to evaluate trends in disease occurrence.

Last edited:

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
These 'world' figures are a bit like the baseball 'World Series' in that they cannot be certain of any figures from most of Asia and the old USSR.
India and China are still using asbestos in vast quantities, with India being declared the world's biggest importer - but who knows what goes on in China?
Until a few years ago, Canada was still mining and exporting to Asia even though its use in Canada (and USA) had been banned for many years before then. The dollar outweighing the cost of death.

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
I suspect I didn't. Maybe the World Health organisation did - they are like that. We are very fortunate to have you to provide us with more acurate information due to our lack of education and stupidity.

http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/89/10/11-086678/en/

My figures were based on uk figures and taken from Actuarial reports, trust me you can't get more accurate. If you just read the guess work in what you've attached you must realise those figures simply don't add up. Or provide us with the full article so we can read it in context.

Knowledge gained from Google is dangerous!

But you keep up your sarcasm though, especially over a subject as devastating as incurable cancer - it highlights your ignorance.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
My figures were based on uk figures and taken from Actuarial reports, trust me you can't get more accurate. If you just read the guess work in what you've attached you must realise those figures simply don't add up. Or provide us with the full article so we can read it in context.

Knowledge gained from Google is dangerous!

But you keep up your sarcasm though, especially over a subject as devastating as incurable cancer - it highlights your ignorance.

He's talking global you're talking uk, what's the problem.

brightonbaz

Feb 22, 2009
i think the fears of asbestos are overplayed due to two types. one, the sort you refer to is a bit dangerous if you ground up and inhaled lots of the the stuff, the other sort which was used inside buildings is proper dangerous. reckon the chemistry teacher is exposed to far more dodgy gases and compounds than bunsen burner mats.

Really? About 4500 people die each year from asbestos related illness....more than road related deaths....not overplayed AT ALL mate

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
For those who are interested, The Health & Safety Executive (HSE) have published its latest statistics on mesothelioma mortality in Great Britain. To surmise very briefly...

- There were 2,538 mesothelioma deaths in 2013 compared to 2,548 in 2012.

- It is predicted that there will continue to be about 2,500 deaths per year for the rest of the current decade after which it is expected that numbers will decline overall although it is suggested that the peak among females will occur later.

- There were 2,123 male deaths in 2013, with Mesothelioma deaths in those aged 35-54 showing a downward trend.

- There were 415 female deaths in 2013.

- The highest risk occupations for men are those associated with the construction industry, including carpenters, plumbers and electricians.

gen

Banned
Aug 23, 2015
For those who are interested, The Health & Safety Executive (HSE) have published its latest statistics on mesothelioma mortality in Great Britain. To surmise very briefly...

- There were 2,538 mesothelioma deaths in 2013 compared to 2,548 in 2012.

- It is predicted that there will continue to be about 2,500 deaths per year for the rest of the current decade after which it is expected that numbers will decline overall although it is suggested that the peak among females will occur later.

- There were 2,123 male deaths in 2013, with Mesothelioma deaths in those aged 35-54 showing a downward trend.

- There were 415 female deaths in 2013.

- The highest risk occupations for men are those associated with the construction industry, including carpenters, plumbers and electricians.

Those 2012 and 2013 figures are remarkably similar. Only a difference of 10 between the two years! Less than half a percent difference.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here