Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who owned subboteo cricket?

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
The bat in the original version of test match looked more like a hoover than a cricket bat. I'm sure in later versions that they made it look a bit more bat like.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I have a special Subbuteo version of Foxbase Alpha by St Etienne. Possibly the finest album ever crafted by any band ever.

SubbuteoImages.JPG

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
[yt]Yi5idSqCsAM[/yt]

What more could anyone want for Christmas? Wii - pah!

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Oh and I forgot for some reason, the below game which was even better than Test Match (though less action-packed):

Attachments

• pic45822_md.jpg
    pic45822_md.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 98

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I am sure it was Subbuteo cricket that I had in the late fifties to very early sixties - had a roller slide to bowlthe ball and a pendulum weight for the bat

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Ahh Test Match. My first set had a bat like a reversed vacuum cleaner, so batting was releasing the string and gravity did the rest. I then entered a competition in Tiger and Scorcher and was picked as a winner. There were 256 of us across the country organised into regional finals and I got Sussex and Kent at the C&G offices in Brighton (opposite Preston Park) at the time. Having played the game loads I really fancied my chances, but when I go there, they had redesigned the game and the vacuum cleaner had been replaced by a bat shaped effort with the batsman's shoulders incorporating a spring.

Despite this I did indeed become the "champion" of all of Sussex and Kent and finished the evening by playing and defeating Mark Benson (then of Kent now an umpire). It was then off to the national final at the Oval, where the winner from the last 16 got to go to the West Indies to watch a test. I practised like mad with the new spring bat and again fancied my chances, but and it is a big but, I should have taken my own batsmen with me. When I arrived and started practising, I just couldn't time my shots at all. I tried about 6 different batsmen, before finding one I was reasonably comfortable with, but the string snapped half way through my first game and I had to swap again. So basically I lost to the eventual winner, but I did get to meet the England team, watch a days play and eat and drink as much coke as a 14 year old can consume in a day. Happy days

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Yep, couldn't hold a candle to football though - we perservered but it was crap - best bit was the West Indian batsman - their domination of the game was so great back in the 70's they even made it into subbuteo cricket for which you couldn't buy different teams.......

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
What was the cricket game that came in a small plastic tube, containing a green plastic pitch and some sort of metal hexagonal dice thingys, with words like 'LBW' and ' run out' on them?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Subbuteo football - endless arguments over flick or push,

YES YES YES....I was denied a perfectly good goal against a GIRL once when I flicked the player from oUTSIDE the 30 yard area BUT the ball was in the 30 yard zone. It spun around, caught the ball perfectly and shot into the top right hand....I yelled, screamed, leapt about and she LIKE A GIRL cried and my mum made me either cancel the goal or stop playing as her mum was in the other room.

As soon as I calmed down and we "disallowed" the goal, she went up the other end and scored.

I wept for weeks:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
What was the cricket game that came in a small plastic tube, containing a green plastic pitch and some sort of metal hexagonal dice thingys, with words like 'LBW' and ' run out' on them?

was called Owzat i recall

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
For those with subbuteo withdrawal symptoms, the nearest copy is Zeugo. Basically Subbuteo was hugely popular in Italy and when Hasbro could no longer be bothered to produce it they set up their own version, see Online Catalogue they have also started producing their own stadiums. The players are handpainted and are a replica of the classic 70s heavyweights and also a little thicker meaning th your squad isn't as depleted with broken ankles.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
For those with subbuteo withdrawal symptoms, the nearest copy is Zeugo. Basically Subbuteo was hugely popular in Italy and when Hasbro could no longer be bothered to produce it they set up their own version, see Online Catalogue they have also started producing their own stadiums. The players are handpainted and are a replica of the classic 70s heavyweights and also a little thicker meaning th your squad isn't as depleted with broken ankles.

Total Soccer is better, the players are made of a hardened rubber rather than plastic so should not break

FT Champs Total Soccer - FootballFigure.co.uk

Only WC and top european sides available though at the moment

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
I had the cricket, rugby and the football.

Cricket....a pain to set up, you coulnt use the bowling figure as the ball would shoot off the pitch at 100 miles an hour...the bails never stayed on and teh bat stick handle thing kept breaking.

Rugby...never saw the point....flicking every player to keep up with play was a farce...the only decent thing was the kicker, which was the football corner taker....spent many long seconds playing that game until it was consigned to the loft.

A fair and accurate assumption of the products.

images

and you can still buy a version (tho the rollers are made of plastic now rather than solid lumps of metal)
images

or (one of my favourityes) cricket at lords by chad valley
chadcricketgame.jpg

but subbuteo had the BEST scoreboard.........

Last edited:

Subbuteo made a set of Beatles figures too.
Anyone got that set? I'd like that on my sideboard under the framed signatures and 'Abbey Road' LP & cover.
v0_master.jpg

1964.jpg

1964. CATALOGUE.On the right a leaflet showing the Beatles set which was available for the first time in this year. The "Continental" equipement now included C110 TV Tower and C111 half-time scoreboard. There were no additions to the team chart.

And how about Subbuteo Scrabble...........
1991france.jpg

don't worry, they didn't

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here