Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who out of our 6 Strikers would you have?

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon
I'd sell murry, and try and get a stricker in who is gonna get yer 20 25 goals next season, who i dont know tho, billy sharp mayb, but will he drop down a divison, and they want 1.5million for him, and his wages are gonna be pretty high as well!

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Murray at the moment, but if Barnes can keep playing like he has been until the end of the season then definately look at bringing him in permanently as well. Send Holroyd out on a season long loan to league 2, and obviously it looks like Forster wont be returning anyway. For me Dickinson and Davies can go, not really what we need for a top 6 side next season.
Soo..
Murray, Barnes, Holroyd on loan which really means we need 2 strikers and for me that would consist of a 20+ goal striker and a big target man similar to that of Lloyd Owusu.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
And what about Hart?

According to the club website, Hart is a midfielder.

I think I like all of them. They all have strengths, weaknesses, and/or an intangible factor that makes me like them. But I am resigned to the fact Forster is likely gone, if Dickinson isn't sold in the summer, and there are no early injuries to the strikers, he will go out on loan again, Davies may get another chance with Poyet.

But this leaves me a little concerned, Murray can get us a lot of goals, but I don't get that from Holrolyd or Davies. Barnes shows promise, but I'd like another top scorer.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
FFS, Thursday showed once again why Glenn Murray is NOT the 25+ goals a season man we need (his finishing is closer to League 2 standard than Championship). Too soon to call on Barnes, but on the evidence so far, he looks MUCH closer to what we need. I'd be happy to see the back of the others, with the exception of The Great Nicky Forster, whose depature I accept as inevitable and in the interests of both parties but who warrants huge respect for his achievements.

Would like to see Holdroyd given a few games to show whether he can really cut it.

So, he missed a couple of chances. Wasn't that always a criticism of Andy Cole but he played at a much higher level. I'm not saying Murray could play premiership level but he is far better than league 2. He has 14 goals in 26 starts this season which is not a bad return.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Keep Murray and Barnes, the latter purely as cover initially, and buy a top-drawer League One striker.

The rest can all go, apart from maybe Holroyd who may develop into a decent player and won't be on massive money.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Murray can lead a line well. Much better than the oft-forgettable diving queenery of Dickinson. A shame that as i liked his touch and flagrant abuse of tallman normality. A bit too egotistical for a hard-working team and can never form a twosome, which is rather necessary.
Barnes is nippy and has an eye for goal, so he can stay if we get him.
Holroyd seems an up-and-coming and currently fruitless striker. Keep him in and around the squad and muscle him up a bit both mentally and physically.
The rest are ones for the off. Maybe bring another striker in and work on a youth-teamer to see if he's got what it takes.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Forster has gone. I think he's still got it but we all know that he and Poyet don't see eye to eye so sadly we'll have to plan without him. I'm expecting Dickinson, Hart and Davies all to leave. That leaves us with just Murray and Holroyd so we need another senior, recognised goalscorer and hopefully young Barnes who looks a better option that Holroyd although far too early to judge him.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So, he missed a couple of chances. Wasn't that always a criticism of Andy Cole but he played at a much higher level. I'm not saying Murray could play premiership level but he is far better than league 2. He has 14 goals in 26 starts this season which is not a bad return.

Stats on sky sports recently showed Wayne Rooney only converted 21% of his shots (and only a third of his shots were even on target). So, of course Murray should never miss a chance, what with him being 5 times the player Wayne Rooney is (my sarcasm is directed at DIP, not you)

HalfTimeOrange

Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
Keep:

Barnes
Murray
Davies
Dickinson

in that order, and MAYBE Holroyd after he has had time to prove himself.

Hart and Forster can go.

If we can sign a top drawer striker, get rid of Dickinson.

So you would pick a striker who is scoring some goals against League 2 sides rather to a striker who is scoring against Championship sides currently?

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Stats on sky sports recently showed Wayne Rooney only converted 21% of his shots (and only a third of his shots were even on target). So, of course Murray should never miss a chance, what with him being 5 times the player Wayne Rooney is (my sarcasm is directed at DIP, not you)

Fine, but it's the goal tally that counts isn't it? Rooney's tally is better than any other striker's in the PL - hence few complaints about his ratio of shots on target v. off target. Glenn, on other hand, has a DECENT goalscoring record, but not a GREAT one and that's partly because he misses too many easy chances. If he ends up with 25+ goals this season, fair play, I take it all back. On balance though, I think we need to sign a prolific goalscorer if we are to make Bloom's aspirations of a two 2 finish a reality.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Think Poyet is going to want 4 strikers, so Murray, Holdroyd and two others that we bring in. I know Dickinson is scoring in the Championship, but he just never looked like he was going to be a regular scorer for us.

I would think that we will spend a decent sum of money on a proven striker in the summer, given Mr Blooms ambition to finish in the top 2, and perhaps we will also sign Barnes as the fourth choice.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I would think that we will spend a decent sum of money on a proven striker in the summer

According to soccerbase, Dickenson has 103 league appearance and 50 goals. A 1 goal every 2 starts average. Is that not the stat of a proven goal scorer?

I don't say that to argue we should retain Dickinson (though I for one wouldn't be disappointed, if we can stop thinking that because he's tall he wants it on his head), I say it to highlight that the signing of a proven goalscorer is not going to guarantee he will perform for us.

We need to be a bit more selective than just "sign a proven goalscorer".

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Murray, Forster, Dickinson should stay...not sure whether Barnes will be released by plymouth, Davies can go as can that.....Non league bloke Holroyd

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here