Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Who on here has been to walk past the Queen's coffin?

Have you been to walk past the Queen's coffin?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But it's not someone they knew or someone that did great things to benefit society. What I struggle to understand is just what she did to command the respect of hundreds of thousands of people.

For someone like you, Thunder Bolt, with a social conscience, I can't get my head around the reverence for the epitomy of inequality and privilege.

It isn’t reverence. I reserve that for church and God.

The monarch doesn’t have a life of their own. It’s like living in a goldfish bowl with the whole population criticising every move you make. They promise to serve the country, take on patronages, open buildings, hospitals, greet foreign heads of state with great diplomacy, attend various occasions like Remembrance Day, Trooping the Colour, Highland games, year in year out.
It’s called dedication to duty.
Duty is another old fashioned concept but one that ex forces understand well.

Admiration, affection for someone who has done her job extremely well but not reverence.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Here's a link to a short article I found interesting about the possible reasons why.

It's well worth a read whatever one's views on the monarchy are.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/sep/15/crowd-behaviour-london-mourning-queen

Stephen Reicher is a professor of psychology at the University of St Andrews, a fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh and an authority on crowd psychology.

"The first thing we have learned is that any attempt to reduce crowd participation to a single, universal motivation is a distortion. People come along for many different and mixed reasons, not all of which involve allegiance to the monarchy."

Yeah, good read that.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It isn’t reverence. I reserve that for church and God.

The monarch doesn’t have a life of their own. It’s like living in a goldfish bowl with the whole population criticising every move you make. They promise to serve the country, take on patronages, open buildings, hospitals, greet foreign heads of state with great diplomacy, attend various occasions like Remembrance Day, Trooping the Colour, Highland games, year in year out.
It’s called dedication to duty.
Duty is another old fashioned concept but one that ex forces understand well.

Admiration, affection for someone who has done her job extremely well but not reverence.

Opening buildings and meeting foreign dignitaries doesn't sound particularly taxing. Especially, when the reward is immense wealth at the expense of ordinary citizens.

Even if we are to accept that she did her duties with aplomb, the fact people are willing to queue overnight to see the coffin suggests more than admiration for a job well done.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Pay respects. It’s an old concept.
People used to stand still when a hearse passed them. Men used to remove their hats etc.

I still do stand and turn when a funeral procession passes and take my hat off if I’m wearing one. I totally understand that.

Remembrance Day. Paying respect to those who truly gave their lives to service. I always go to a service.

Queuing for hours to get a glimpse so you can say you were there? I can’t get my head around it.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I still do stand and turn when a funeral procession passes and take my hat off if I’m wearing one. I totally understand that.

Remembrance Day. Paying respect to those who truly gave their lives to service. I always go to a service.

Queuing for hours to get a glimpse so you can say you were there? I can’t get my head around it.

Why do you need to? Just accept that others want to and leave them to do so.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Opening buildings and meeting foreign dignitaries doesn't sound particularly taxing. Especially, when the reward is immense wealth at the expense of ordinary citizens.

Even if we are to accept that she did her duties with aplomb, the fact people are willing to queue overnight to see the coffin suggests more than admiration for a job well done.

It’s politicians who tax ordinary people, and some of those are wealthier than the royals
The monarch’s wealth is tied up with properties, paintings antiques etc, none of which they can sell as it is to be passed on, and so they are only custodians of it. Buckingham Palace and Windsor are open to the public to view the treasures. The Tower of London is open to see the Crown Jewels. The king isn’t able to say, I’ll sell the Edward crown to feed the poor.

Politicians could sort out poverty, care, health etc but don’t choose to do so. People then say thank you so much for providing food banks and we’ll vote for you again. See Hartlepool. :facepalm:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

12hrs is beyond practical for me, others are welcome to if able to. The ones I don’t understand are the ones doing it for me me me types as you allude. My reasons would be same as Beckhams, he’s doing for the right reasons and good on him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Who says people are only going to say that they were there? I think many of them are going to pay respect. Even on French tv, I have seen people bow their head or curtsy. That’s respect not I woz there.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Who says people are only going to say that they were there? I think many of them are going to pay respect. Even on French tv, I have seen people bow their head or curtsy. That’s respect not I woz there.

Fair points.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It’s politicians who tax ordinary people, and some of those are wealthier than the royals
The monarch’s wealth is tied up with properties, paintings antiques etc, none of which they can sell as it is to be passed on, and so they are only custodians of it. Buckingham Palace and Windsor are open to the public to view the treasures. The Tower of London is open to see the Crown Jewels. The king isn’t able to say, I’ll sell the Edward crown to feed the poor.

Politicians could sort out poverty, care, health etc but don’t choose to do so. People then say thank you so much for providing food banks and we’ll vote for you again. See Hartlepool. :facepalm:

All their sealed wills suggests to me they possess a lot more personal wealth than people realise. They haven’t earned that. It’s come from somewhere.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Truly gave their service?
In other words you don’t think the senior royals who do daily duties don’t serve us. Try researching what they do day to day.
The late Queen died 8 days ago, and the King has had one day off. Even us plebs get bereavement leave.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Truly gave their service?
In other words you don’t think the senior royals who do daily duties don’t serve us. Try researching what they do day to day.
The late Queen died 8 days ago, and the King has had one day off. Even us plebs get bereavement leave.

No. I don’t think they serve us particularly well. Certainly not in proportion to the wealth they have amassed and the life they lead.

The “public duty and service” is a rather feeble front for a family that live unimaginably well off the hard work of others. The pomp and circumstance is a smoke screen to get people to revere, serve and in some cases, die for them. It’s all a razzle dazzle show, designed to blind the peasants to the unjustifiable existence of an unelected, super-rich family of layabouts.

This is my opinion. I understand it is not the opinion of many and not popular or sensitive at this particular time. With that in mind, I’ll respectfully bow out of this particular conversation.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
All their sealed wills suggests to me they possess a lot more personal wealth than people realise. They haven’t earned that. It’s come from somewhere.

Inherited from 41 monarchs, marriages, treaties, battles. Read history, it’s fascinating , horrific but real life.

Think of Tony Bloom. Yes, he’s a very rich man who has properties all over the world, has built up businesses and sold them again, but he didn’t start off in a council estate. He came from a rich family. His son will be richer than him unless he squanders it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Inherited from 41 monarchs, marriages, treaties, battles. Read history, it’s fascinating , horrific but real life.

Think of Tony Bloom. Yes, he’s a very rich man who has properties all over the world, has built up businesses and sold them again, but he didn’t start off in a council estate. He came from a rich family. His son will be richer than him unless he squanders it.

No need to patronise.

Why are their wills sealed?

Why last year did they exclude themselves from over 160 pieces of legislation?

Anyway, I’ll leave it there.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

I'm sorry but I don't understand why they get a free pass. How can we ever hope to have a more equitable society when the head of state sits on a throne wearing a crown and only ends up in that position as they developed in the right womb?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm sorry but I don't understand why they get a free pass. How can we ever hope to have a more equitable society when the head of state sits on a throne wearing a crown and only ends up in that position as they developed in the right womb?

That’s life.
Why do you have good health, enough food and clean running water, and not suffer from leprosy, cholera or dysentery? Because you happened to come out of the right womb when you mother was in the right country.
Compare to 80% of the world, you and I live in luxury.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No need to patronise.

Why are their wills sealed?

Why last year did they exclude themselves from over 160 pieces of legislation?

Anyway, I’ll leave it there.

I’m sorry if you think I was being patronising. It certainly wasn’t my intention

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

That’s how it is.

It’s called history, it is one of the things that make our country great.

Get over it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here