Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who Misses the days when we used to have trouble at Brighton Matches?

Brighton till i die said:
however the reason for all those needless deaths was due to f***ing ridiculous policing and stewarding.
these days that sort of thing would not happen, and for people, like the majority of us, there could be one side of terraceing, and the "safer" seats located around the rest of the ground.
:D

I agree with the policing issue, but is it because so many lives were lost that no one will dare mention the Liverpool fans that turned up in their many hundreds without tickets? They were causing a crush outside the ground. If they had stayed away, we would still have terracing in new Stadia, and those lives would not have needlessly been lost.

On the main issue. I really don't enjoy having to watch my back at certain away games, rather than just enjoying a day out as it should be.

Albion Rob

Smart Mart said:
Several hundred innocent deaths at Hillsborough in the 1980s killed off the chances of terracing in this country forever. :dunce:

I don't think it was several hundred, more like 98.

I think the whole Hillsborough situation was a dreadful indictment of England in the late 1980s. From Liverpool fans turning up ticketless and trying to barge their way in as they had done countelss times before, to policing so inept that they couldn't manage to put two coppers at the entrances to the pens to direct people either isde. From there we have a media whitewash where they jumped on information from a copper trying to save his own arse (Duckenfield) which they ran without checking and finally we have a public inquiry that refused to apportion blame where it should have been.

I'm not one for saying it was all the police's fault, I can see that some Liverpool fans must take some of the blame for that day, whatevber their loss, but if I were one of the familes who lost a loved one, I don't think the pain of innustice would every go away.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
By the way, it was 98, not a few hundred at Hillsborough.

There is always the conspiracy theory that says ...."if you make the ground all seater, make all the games all ticket, then as they are filming everyone all the time, if there is any trouble, then its easier to get the people concerned..".a la Saturday's video'ing of the crowd in the H block.

I still think it used to add an edge to the atmosphere that you just do not get nowadays...wether that is a good or bad thing, Its your personal choice.

having said that, wether today's burberry boys would have been any match for the Arsenal "skins" I very much doubt

Jason Speaks

Feb 4, 2004
Portslade
Wednesday should never have given Forest the Larger Home end at Hillsborough even though Liverpool had by far the larger fan base.

Quite how anyone can blame Liverpool fans for turning up ticketless (which was the nand is now common practice for most travelling fans) is beyond me.

Albion Rob

I don't think we're talking a handul of ticketless fans here, we're talking literally hundreds, maybe even over a thousand.

It's one thing going to a game without a ticket and trying to score one off a tout, it is compltely another to try to break through the gates.

As I have said, had the game been policed effectively, there would have been no problem, but it also has to be said that people without tickets should not have been trying to get in. It had tragic consequences.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
God, yes I really miss it.

I miss going to a match not knowing whether I was going to get attacked or whether I'd see some frightened children. God I really miss that.

If that's what you want why don't you take up boxing?

then we'd better stay in division 2 coss its only there and division 3 that you will still get terracing.

if BHA are successful then we go up and you can kiss terraces goodbye with your arse

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Storer68 said:
then we'd better stay in division 2 coss its only there and division 3 that you will still get terracing.

if BHA are successful then we go up and you can kiss terraces goodbye with your arse

I really don't understand anyones argument against terracing. If you don;t like it then sit in the seats. We're not talking about abolishing seats, just offering adults the choice.

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
Lammy said:
I really don't understand anyones argument against terracing. If you don;t like it then sit in the seats. We're not talking about abolishing seats, just offering adults the choice.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

my point eactly.

with the stewards and police working together there will never be such problems again.

i bet if you asked evry team in england which has an all seater staduim, if they`d like a side of terracing, it would be hugely in favour!
:D

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
That was the play off semi final in 91, it was an amazing game which wouldnt have had the same atmosphere had the Millwall fans not have been so fierce.

Yeah remember that well one of my mates was only 14 at the time and he was sh1tting bricks. He wanted us to leave 10 minutes from the end...? Walking down Cold Blow lane on your own..no thanks.

I recall the police trying to arrest a Millwall fan then the whole crowd just ran forward laid into the police and then grabbed the bloke and ran off, they then had a fight with the police before setting light to hit helmet and trying to toss it onto the roof of the stand.

Anyone else remember the following season....with....

"Beaney ran the Millwall..."
"Beaney ran the Millwall..."
"la la la la"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here