Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who manages Communication at The Albion?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Poyet is rightly out, now it's time to get Barber out. Clean slate needed. Utter, utter farce, incompetently and arrogantly handled. Both men are irretrievably damaged goods.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Yesterday I was completely confident that the suspension of Gus Poyet was of very little interest to the football world outside of our fans and a few gloating CP fans, and that the idea that we were 'a laughing stock' was ridiculous.

That's changed.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
TBH, I haven't been impressed by the clubs PR for some time, starting with the incident (that pre-dated Paul Barber) of the Albion fan being banned after the incident in the 1901 area in the first palace home game at the Amex. The way they handled the stewaring issues in the North Stand in particular last year also had the same feel. And then the 5 week wait for a decisioon on Gus (we still don't know anything about CO), with so little in the way of communication from the club. They could have put out short statements throughout just letting people know what the likely schedule was and where they were, but nothing. And now this - absolutely shocking in my view. Maybe TB is not a great PR guy, why should he be? But he needs to look at who is responsible for this at the club and make the necessary changes.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Yesterday I was completely confident that the suspension of Gus Poyet was of very little interest to the football world outside of our fans and a few gloating CP fans, and that the idea that we were 'a laughing stock' was ridiculous.

That's changed.

You do realise that the IQ and understanding of such matters will be very low among those who people to perceive to be "laughing" at us?

Which is why I can't understand why anyone gives a crap about what others think.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
You do realise that the IQ and understanding of such matters will be very low among those who people to perceive to be "laughing" at us?

Which is why I can't understand why anyone gives a crap about what others think.

I don't particularly buy the laughing stock line, which is why I put it in quotations, but, right now, we're one of the main news stories on the BBC and people, not just your average moronic tweeter are asking, 'What the hell is going on at Brighton?' I won't lose any sleep over it but it is a shame that our excellent reputation is getting dragged through the mud a bit. I just hope everything has been done by the books.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
This.
Total act of bitterness by whoever is running our club. Classless and very tin pot. We look like complete ****ing idiots. I am ashamed tonight and for the first time in 38 years will be keeping my money in my pocket this season.

Really?Rather than making the rash decision to no longer support the club financially could i humbly suggest you wait until all the facts are in or at least wait until we all have a better understanding of the situation,i dont think anyone acting like an outraged teenage girl on NSC is either helpful or quite frankly normal......but knock yourself out

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I have been a critic of the clubs comms strategy on this matter prior to yesterday. The problem is that statements have involved unnecessary clauses and comments that allow the lma (or Gus) to fire shots back with relative immunity.

If they had not told him directly of his dismissal, or if he believed that negotiations were stil ongoing, then the statement they issued last night, was the incorrect approach. They could have said his representatives had been informed instead. In any case, issuing a statement when the subject of it is on live tv, is not a case of giving him rope to hang himself, as maybe 1m saw it and only perhaps one tenth will hear any update on the issue. And to show the power of poor comms, there are some already (a small minority of the 900k) who believe Gus missed two meetings with the club because they believe he turned down the meeting that never was the week earlier.

Many more of the 900k are like the Blackburn rogers fan who posted tonight for venkys to pull their finger out as brfc are now only the 3rd most tinpot club after Newcastle and us.

To answer the question of who is in charge of comms, I believe the head of media reports into Paul barber. At times like this a good media person will need to try and prevent CEO or chairman from doing things they should later regret. You can't blame them if they are ignored.

My wife lectures to journalists, companies and PR teams on Reputation Management. She , as a fan, is shocked and appalled by the last two weeks. Perhaps the Albion story would be a good future case study of how, even if you are right, you can be so wrong.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I don't particularly buy the laughing stock line, which is why I put it in quotations, but, right now, we're one of the main news stories on the BBC and people, not just your average moronic tweeter are asking, 'What the hell is going on at Brighton?' I won't lose any sleep over it but it is a shame that our excellent reputation is getting dragged through the mud a bit. I just hope everything has been done by the books.

News stories are like farts, when they pop up they smell a bit, but give it a few minutes and people will be sniffing out some other story in a relatively short time.

Added, the only stories that really get people interested are Premier league transfer stories.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It's a pity I pay for my ST in advance, had I been on DD I'd have canx to demonstrate my feelings. The whole thing has been a shambles from start to finish (though it's by no means finished) and I've completely lost interest.

My only hope is that the club do eventually release a statement which explains the whole "why", but I'm not holding my breath

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The whole thing has been a shambles from start to finish (though it's by no means finished) .

As fans we can't know that? It could have been conducted in the most professional manner available.

Not many of us would be experts or privy to how the legal aspects of this issue are required to unfold.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It's a pity I pay for my ST in advance, had I been on DD I'd have canx to demonstrate my feelings. The whole thing has been a shambles from start to finish (though it's by no means finished) and I've completely lost interest.

My only hope is that the club do eventually release a statement which explains the whole "why", but I'm not holding my breath
Get a grip man, 3-4 interesting signings added with a good start to the season this will be a distant memory.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
As fans we can't know that? It could have been conducted in the most professional manner available.

Not many of us would be experts or privy to how the legal aspects of this issue are required to unfold.

Was referring to the public side of it (media, comm's) rather than process

Get a grip man, 3-4 interesting signings added with a good start to the season this will be a distant memory.

I'm pissed off, no more. I'm not overly bothered by the outcome but I've been around similar stuff plenty enough and I'm putting 2 and 2 together and reckon I've got the right answer. But I agree with you, the sooner the season starts and this bollox is consigned to history, the better

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
You know, and you probably don't care about this, but a few years ago your club had a lot of good will due to your predicament. I think some of it dissipated when you got the nice new stadium, a lot more over the next couple of years as some of the fans gave it the billy big balls about how massive the club has become, and now?!? Like I said, most of you prob don't care, but I think it's a shame, I think it's good to be liked.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
You know, and you probably don't care about this, but a few years ago your club had a lot of good will due to your predicament. I think some of it dissipated when you got the nice new stadium, a lot more over the next couple of years as some of the fans gave it the billy big balls about how massive the club has become, and now?!? Like I said, most of you prob don't care, but I think it's a shame, I think it's good to be liked.

Goodwill takes a long time to build up. And not very long to lose.

I think the bit about getting "massive" is only an internet forum thing - and not that important. Everyone knows even with decent clubs supporters can get over-excited.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My gut feeling is that the club were concerned that Gus' trait of being unable to say " no comment" when being interviewed on tv forced their hand. So many on here have been lauding Gus just being honest and answering questions but if he'd blurted out the fact that he'd been sacked live on TV, it would have looked even worse than it does.

Maybe he had a deadline to either accept the offer on the table or be sacked and that deadline had passed?

Either way I believe he knew he was gone and the club felt obliged not to let the world find out from him on national tv. I think he would have been better advised to cancel last night's appearance on TV.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Goodwill takes a long time to build up. And not very long to lose.

I think the bit about getting "massive" is only an internet forum thing - and not that important. Everyone knows even with decent clubs supporters can get over-excited.

Fair point, living in the area probably makes me a little more 'sensitive to it'....

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Ooh look, a fan of a small club having a pop at us.......:p

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Either way I believe he knew he was gone and the club felt obliged not to let the world find out from him on national tv. I think he would have been better advised to cancel last night's appearance on TV.

The Club must have felt there was good reason for the timing. It is whether they were the right reasons is disputed. It does not look very bright at this moment - but that may change I suppose.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here