Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

who is your 'other' team at the world cup?

E

enigma

the wanderbus said:
For me thats the only option, this supporting a second team at any level is just bollocks if your born in England your English & support England , end of story. You cant be 1/2 this natinality & 1/2 that nationality either,not unless you mum had one leg in each country when you were born.

I know plenty of people who support two countries, of course you can be more than one nationality.

Incidentally I dont support England.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think it's going to be Togo.

Incredible achievement to qualify; they're the spiritual home of voodoo and black magic in Africa, and I love reading those stories; they're in France's group, and I'd LUV it if they did those jokers.

enigma said:
Very interesting stuff. Has it made it into the papers over here? I haven't read much about it here, even on the channel 4 website they were brief

I have been reading the Italian papers and its dodgy to say the least, although not surprised Moggi is involved, the guy is as bent as a £9 note.

It was the main talking point on Bravo today in their Juve v Palermo (nice pink shirts) coverage. It all looks very chaotic, with various members of the Agnelli family backing Moggi and some wanting him sacked.

Must surely badly taint Juve's title for international viewers/fans, although I understand the culture in Italy is to believe that every ref is bent, so probably it won't make much difference there :lolol:

You seen the new book on the history of Italian football by John Foot, the lecturer related to Paul and Michael? Just started it and it's very good so far.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...023181/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/203-1151101-3403141

Last edited:

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
NO SECOND TEAM FOR ME.........I'M ENGLISH AND PROUD.

E

enigma

London Irish said:
It was the main talking point on Bravo today in their Juve v Palermo (nice pink shirts) coverage. It all looks very chaotic, with various members of the Agnelli family backing Moggi and some wanting him sacked.

Must surely badly taint Juve's title for international viewers/fans, although I understand the culture in Italy is to believe that every ref is bent, so probably it won't make much difference there :lolol:

Those pink shirts are horrible!

Andrea Agnelli was with Moggi today at the game, but there were rumours that they wanted rid of him. However, I'd be surprised, for a number of reasons.

Firstly, he's the best talent scout/general manager in Serie A, he knows how to pick up bargains and sell players like nobody else.

Secondly, he's probably the most powerful man outside of the FA, as shown by recent conversations. His agent son Alessandro runs GEA, which has numerous players and manager on his books, which has helped Juve in the past.

Thirdly, it is damaging in terms of their image, but then again they werent too bothered at being found guilty of doping their own players, so its not as if they aren't used to having bad PR.

Italy is a country where corruption is rife at every level, and football is no different. I dont think the refs are against certain teams, but they definitely favour Juve. They have had some outrageous decisions in their favour over the years. I am not one for conspiracy theories, but there is too much evidence to suggest they havent been helped, whether this has been through bribing or mere influencing.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
enigma said:
I know plenty of people who support two countries, of course you can be more than one nationality.

Incidentally I dont support England.

Of course you can be dual nationality thats down to your heritage ,you cant be half one & half another. My Dad was Scottish , I was born in England & as much as I'd like to see the scots do well I am still english & take England over Scotland whenever they meet.

E

enigma

the wanderbus said:
Of course you can be dual nationality thats down to your heritage ,you cant be half one & half another. My Dad was Scottish , I was born in England & as much as I'd like to see the scots do well I am still english & take England over Scotland whenever they meet.

I think you can though, althouigh I would say that most people would choose one or the other. For example, what would happen if you had two children and they were playing on opposite sides?

Yoda

English & European
Dies Irae said:
1902283090.jpg

ITALIA ITALIA ITALIA

5-2 today Dave! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
enigma said:
I think you can though, althouigh I would say that most people would choose one or the other. For example, what would happen if you had two children and they were playing on opposite sides?

Fair point, although I think you'd probably have to remain neutral in that scenario

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Canada is my 'other' country considering I hold a CDN passport (sadly absent again at the WC) but in general terms I cheer on any team playing Wales, Scotland or Ireland.

Once England are out I don't care who wins it.

Last edited:

E

enigma

the wanderbus said:
Fair point, although I think you'd probably have to remain neutral in that scenario

Thats the analogy Im making, some people are equally attached to both countries.

I actually agree with you in general though.

Dandyman

In London village.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I haven't really got any problem with anybody following their parents country but I still believe that anybody born in England or Sotland or Mongolia or whatever should support that country & just keep an interested ( if a little biased) eye on their parents homeland
I can't stand people who form an alliegance to a team because they are the best or have the coolest kit,it's no different from the Man u fans that most of us despise.

Last edited:

E

enigma

the wanderbus said:
I haven't really got any problem with anybody following their parents country but I still believe that anybody born in England or Sotland or Mongolia or whatever should support that country & just keep an interested ( if a little biased) eye on their parents homeland

Depends what they identify with though, and the area that they grew up in. SOme of my friends supported Nigeria etc more than they supported England.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Unfortunatley that is quite a common thing although most people
in that position would suddenly switch their alliegence at the first inkling of an international call up. How many footballers are hunting down long lost trinidadian great granfathers all of a sudden?

E

enigma

the wanderbus said:
Unfortunatley that is quite a common thing although most people
in that position would suddenly switch their alliegence at the first inkling of an international call up. How many footballers are hunting down long lost trinidadian great granfathers all of a sudden?

Very true... There should be something in place to prevent that, although I dont know what they could do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here