Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is your historical hero?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Air Chief Marshall Hugh Caswell Tremenheere Dowding - without him we might well be conducting this thread in German...

Air Chief Marshall Hugh Caswell Tremenheere Dowding - without him we might well be conducting this thread in German...

I raise you Air Chief Marshal Sir Keith Rodney Park GCB, KBE, MC & Bar, DFC, RAF

If any one man won the Battle of Britain, he did. I do not believe it is realised how much that one man, with his leadership, his calm judgement and his skill, did to save, not only this country, but the world.

Last edited:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I raise you Air Chief Marshal Sir Keith Rodney Park GCB, KBE, MC & Bar, DFC, RAF

If any one man won the Battle of Britain, he did. I do not believe it is realised how much that one man, with his leadership, his calm judgement and his skill, did to save, not only this country, but the world.

A good shout but Keith Park would be my second historical hero of the Battle in as much as he enacted the Dowding Air Defence System correctly as C-in-C of 11 Group. Hugh Dowding spent the 1930's fighting for 8 gun fighter monoplanes for Fighter Command and Ground Controlled Interception using Radar against huge resistance from those in power at the time both in Goverment and the Air Ministry (the prevailing view being that Air Defence was useless as the Bomber Would Always Get Through)

A good shout but Keith Park would be my second historical hero of the Battle in as much as he enacted the Dowding Air Defence System correctly as C-in-C of 11 Group. Hugh Dowding spent the 1930's fighting for 8 gun fighter monoplanes for Fighter Command and Ground Controlled Interception using Radar against huge resistance from those in power at the time both in Goverment and the Air Ministry (the prevailing view being that Air Defence was useless as the Bomber Would Always Get Through)

..Would you allow me Air Vice Marshall Ralph Sorley?

That would be '8 machine guns and copious amounts of sherry' Air Vice Marshall Ralph Sorley?

I am beginning to suspect we both have the same BoB book as our inspiration? :thumbsup:

"The Most Dangerous Enemy" - great telling of the BoB story.

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
Sammy or Garry?

no.... download.jpg

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
So many to choose from....but, It has to be Winston Churchill. A strong leader and fantastic wit to boot

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here