Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

who is your hero?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My childhood hero was Barry John

These days I suppose it would be Nelson Mandela and Vaclav Havel.

No sporting heroes any more.

Whatver happened to Leon Trotsky?:)

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
"Beefy, Ian Botham. Because he wasnt afraid to say 'ok, Ive smoked the old doobie, ok Ive hit a copper..but THATS what I think of your selection policy now f*** off Im off to walk to John O Groats with some spastics"

Dandyman

In London village.
Trigger said:
All Time Hero - Peter Canning

:clap: :clap:

Tax Man for Pope ! The campaign starts here...

Dandyman

In London village.
crasher said:
Who's Peter Canning?

All time Albion legend and role model to aspiring drunks, everywhere.

Dandyman

In London village.
Richie Morris said:
Robin Friday

The greatest footballer you never heard of ?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I always liked Wonder Woman and I reckon my grandma was a bit like her (with a few more wrinkles) she was a gem my Gran.......and the era that she lived through and raised 5 kids in makes her amazing.... let alone her ability to cure all aches and pains in a way grandmas only know...

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Dandyman said:
The greatest footballer you never heard of ?

The very same.

Absolute legend. Scored a wonder goal and the ref said it was good, he replied:

"you should here every week, i score goals like that every game"

Also, when backed into the corner with two defenders kicking his heels he kicked the ball off the corner flag through his legs and nutmegged the defender kicking.GENIUS

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I thought you were about 20 Richie? Strange choice of hero - someone who'd retired before you were born.

Good player though.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Gwylan said:
I thought you were about 20 Richie? Strange choice of hero - someone who'd retired before you were born.

Good player though.

I am and he had, but read the book on him and just admire his maverick approach to the game. The who and the jam had both split before I brought a record but are still my favourite bands...

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Having never seen Robin Friday grace our fair club (or Cardiff), I can only recommend that everyone reads the book about him. Pure genius.

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Based my footballing on Bryan Robson when I was a kid, still am now (I have a tendancy to get injured and break bones regularly) but Albion wise, has to be John Robinson.

Kugull

Aug 8, 2003
London
An eclectic mix but:
Ian Terence Botham
Nelson Mandela
Terry Thomas
Richard Burton

I'm too old to have heroes now sadly...

Van der Gully

Jul 10, 2003
Brunssum, NL
Hero is a bit of a strong word but there are a few people who I admire massively for their achievements, most in the face of adversity. They include in no particular order:

Nelson Mandela - difficult to talk about this man without overdosing on superlatives, I went to Robben Island earlier this year and saw where he was imprisoned, for a man to suffer that for so long and still be able to put it behind him and become President of his country should inspire us all.

Mother Theresa - selfless devotion to the poor of Calcutta.

Ang Sung Suu Kyi - Burmese politician who has spent most of her adult life in exile due to the screwed up politics and dictatorship in her own country, despite being elected to office she has been unable to take it up for fear of her life.

Tanny Grey-Thompson - incredible athlete who has won countless medals at different championships in wheelchair races. Sadly she was insulted by the BBC who failed to put in a ramp so she could appear on the podium to collect an award at the Sports Person of the year awards, thus denying her the opportunity to take her rightful place alongside able-bodied athletes.

Jesse Owens - for his performance at the 1936 olympics, rubbing Hitler's nose in the dirt by winning 5 gold medals.

There are many other people who I have admiration for, those are probably the top 5 for me, others are either too personal or obscure to mention.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here