Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is/was the best footballer in the World past or present

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I would go for Maradona, despite the handball against England, the sort of player who could light up a game on his own...it is a pity that the most gifted often fall from grace in such dramatic fashion.

Maradona for me - as others have said he won the World Cup surrounded by an average team, Pele was in a team full of 'flair'.
Maradona also proved himself in Europe in the modern era, by and large Pele starred in the Brazilan league in a gentler era.

1.Maradona
2.Cryuff
3.Pele

At the moment, Messi, Kaka and Ronaldo are the best.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Maradona played in that charity match a couple of years ago at age 47, he did not have the grace of a Gazelle of the speed of a Cheetah anymore but he could hit a Mouses's arse from 60 yards with a pin point cross still.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Maradona/Pele joint top. Steve Penney third.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Someone else's Top 25 of all time:-

THE WORLD'S TOP 25

1 Pele (Brazil)
2 Ronaldo (Brazil)
3 Romario (Brazil)
4 Luis Figo (Portugal)
5 Zinedine Zidane (France)
6 Diego Maradona (Argentina)
7 Lothar Matthaus (Germany)
8 Gerd Muller (Germany)
9 Franz Beckenbauer (Germany)
10Cafu (Brazil)
11Roberto Carlos (Brazil)
12Marco van Basten (Holland)
13Michel Platini (France)
14Rivaldo (Brazil)
15Paolo Maldini (Italy)
16Zico (Brazil)
17Raul (Spain)
18Ruud Gullit (Holland)
19Eusebio (Portugal)
20Ferenc Puskas (Hungary)
21Johan Cruyff (Holland)
22Alfredo di Stefano (Argentina)
23Bobby Charlton (England)
24Jurgen Klinsmann (Germany)
25Kenny Dalglish (Scotland)

I know it's all subjective, but I'm not all that keen on that list.

Most of those 25 would easily grace a top 50 (I'd still question Roberto Carlos' inclusion into that particular list though), but Romario as high as No.3? Luis Figo as high as No.4? Maradona as low down as 6th? Paolo Maldini as the best/only Italian? Gerd Muller as high as No.8? Cruyff, Puskas and di Stefano as low as the 20s? Roberto Carlos in there at all?

Missing from that list...

Ruud Krol
Garrincha
Duncan Edwards
George Best
Bobby Moore
Bobby Charlton
Giuseppe Meazza
Luigi Riva
etc.

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
Pele Was A Genius And A Far Far Better Player Than Maradona. The People Voting For Maradona Have Clearly Never Played As A Forward Before Because If They Had They Would Realise It Is The Hardest Position To Play. Pele Was A Forward Which Makes His Talent Even More Remarkable.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Lothar Matheus played in five world cups and won one of them. George Best scored a few against Northampton Town in the cup before, essentially, committing a long suicide in public. He's not fit to lace his drinks, IMHO.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Lothar Matheus played in five world cups and won one of them. George Best scored a few against Northampton Town in the cup before, essentially, committing a long suicide in public. He's not fit to lace his drinks, IMHO.
That is bollocks, unless of course you're suggesting Matheus would have guided Northern Ireland (population 1.6million) to five world cups all by himself?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I never saw Matheus play in person but he was just another Jimmy Greaves good in the 6 yd box. Best had the most ability of any player I have seen but apparently an arsehole of a bloke, but this shouild not detract from his football ability.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
One of the best footballers I ever saw play was a guy called Socrates - who played for Brazil in the 1970's at the same time as Zico

I never really saw Pele play so I cant comment on him, but Johan Cruyff should be up there IMHO

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
At the moment its probably Ronaldo as much as I hate to say it!
All time its got to be Pele really.. Maradona was a class act, one of the best - but a close second to Pele.

Mention to Eusabio (sp) and Cruyff.. maybe.. dare I say it.. Bobby Charlton?

Ferenc Puskas : International caps 85, International goals 84

Ferenc Puskás", was a legendary Hungarian footballer and manager and is regarded as one of the greatest footballers of all time. He scored a remarkable 84 goals in 85 international matches for Hungary,[1] and 514 goals in 529 matches in the Hungarian and Spanish leagues.

Puskás played for Honvéd and Hungary before joining Real Madrid and going on to play for Spain. During the 1950s he was both a prominent member and captain of the legendary Hungarian national team known as the Mighty Magyars. Other members of the team included Zoltán Czibor, Sándor Kocsis, József Bozsik and Nándor Hidegkuti. In 1958, two years after the Hungarian Revolution, he emigrated to Spain where he played for the legendary Real Madrid team that also included Alfredo Di Stéfano, Francisco Gento, Raymond Kopa, Héctor Rial and José Santamaria.

Puskás, with a deadly accurate left-foot, was a prolific goalscorer throughout his career. He was top scorer in the Hungarian League on four occasions, and in 1948 he was the top goal scorer in Europe. While playing with Real Madrid, he won four Pichichis and scored seven goals in two European Champions Cup finals. In 1995, he was recognized as the top scorer of the 20th century by the IFFHS.[2][3][4]

After retiring as a player he became a coach. The highlight of his coaching career came in 1971 when he guided Panathinaikos FC to the European Cup final, where they lost 2-0 to Ajax. Despite his defection in 1956, Puskás remained an admired hero in Hungary. In 1993, the Hungarian government granted him a full pardon, allowing to return and take temporary charge of the national team.[5] In 1998 he became one of the first ever FIFA/SOS Charity ambassadors.[6] In 2002 the Népstadion in Budapest was renamed the Stadion Puskás Ferenc in his honor. He was also declared the best Hungarian player of the last 50 years by the Hungarian Football Federation in the UEFA Jubilee Awards in November 2003.[7]

Puskás was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease in 2000.[8] He was admitted to a Budapest hospital in September 2006[9] and died on 17 November 2006[8] of pneumonia. He is survived by his wife of 57 years, Erzsébet, [10] and their daughter, Anikó.[11] In a state funeral, his coffin was moved from Stadion Puskás Ferenc to Heroes' Square for a military salute. He was laid to rest under the dome of the St Stephen's Basilica in Budapest on 9 December 2006.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Past=Jonny Haynes
Present =?

Maradonna well yes but I think even I would be a half great player with half the cocaine in Colombia up my nose the bloke was a twat and a cheating twat at that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here