Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is the best sportsman this country has ever produced?

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
There hasnt been many in my life time, but there must have been some beasts in others lifetime's on here. Could it be Nick Faldo? Yes we're about to lose the Ryder Cup but he was a born winner and the best in the world for a while, I think thats more than can be said for other great sportsmen we have produced...

Come on you oldies, this a thread for you, who is the best sportsmen this country has ever produced?

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Faldo's stats: 6 major wins; number one for 98 weeks; 43 professional wins.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Redgrave for me.

I'd also nominate Sir Henry Cooper.

Only man ever to win three Lonsdale Belts outright and one of the few men to dump the Greatest Of All Time on the seat of his shorts with a single punch - Ali himself said he's never been hit harder with one shot, and had that it landed earlier in the round, I firmly believe Ali would not have beaten the count.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
We'll take this to a poll based on the amount of nominations.

Redgrave is a good call, but is it far to suggest the likes of Mansell and Faldo were competiting against world class professionals week in week out therefore making their achievements more impressive than Redgraves?

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Steve Redgrave - he devoted 20 years of his life to rowing and winning 5 gold medals over that time is incredible.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
I want the opinion of the two old boys on here, BensGrandad and Freddie Goodwin, where are you?

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
In football, Brian Clough

251 goals in 274 appearances for Middlesborough and Sunderland before injury ended his playing career.

As manager:
Derby County - 1968-69: Div 2 Champions; 1971-72: League Champions; 1972-73: European Cup semi-finalists.
nottingham Forest - 1976-77: Div 2 promotion; 1977-78: League Champions, League Cup winners; 1978-79: European Cup, League Cup, League runners-up; 1979-80: European Cup, European Super Cup, World Club finalists, League Cup finalists; 1980-81: European Super Cup finalists, World Club finalists; 1988-89: League Cup winners, Simod Cup winners; 1989-90: League Cup winners; 1990-91: FA Cup finalists; 1991-92 Zenith Data Cup winners, League Cup finalists.

And he also had a spell as Albion manager too!

"If anyone wants to see my O-Levels and A-Levels, I'll get my medals from upstairs and put them on the table. They're my O-Levels and A-Levels."

Legend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here