Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is going to Olympic Park at some point for some event or other?

Are you going to the Olympic park

• Yes, got tix for Olympic event(s) based in the park

Votes: 70 68.6%
  • Yes, but only for the Paralympics. Couldn't get/didn't want tix for the Olympic Games

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Yes, but not for the any of the games

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • No, can't be arsed.

Votes: 23 22.5%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Inside the Copper Box...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343480523.899727.jpg

Not during the Games. Have been already though, for work. The whole Park is very impressive.

Same here. Went to one of the ramp-up events at The Olympic Stadium itself for the BUCS Athletics Championships back in May. Very impressed by the whole park!

Weretheweststand

Unregistered User
Aug 23, 2011
Hailsham
I'm going to see the athletics on 8th August, the events we're seeing are : Men's Decathlon - High Jump
Men's 110m Hurdles - Semi-finals
Women's 1500m - Semi-finals
Men's Javelin Throw - Qualification
Men's 200m - Semi-finals
Women's 400m Hurdles - Final
Women's Long Jump - Final
Men's 110m Hurdles - Final
Men's Decathlon - 400m
Women's 200m - Final

So excited!

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Thought I'd share my views on the arrangements for the Beach Volleyball at Horseguards Parade here rather than start another thread. Went to the 9:00 session so the first real test for everyone. Loads of the Olympic Ambassadors around to direct you to the venues and all were very friendly.

Arrived about 50 minutes before the event thanks to a faulty train on Southern, breezed into the stadium with fast moving queues, loads of security channels (Gatwick could learn from this!). Plenty of variety in the food and drink on offer and the prices were fairly reasonable for a top sporting event. You can take in small empty bottles to fill up with water which keeps the costs down. Loads of toilets with no queues for the gents and fairly small queues for the ladies.

The setting at Horseguards is great and there is enough legroom to be comfortable. One very minor niggle was that the way they have labelled the rows caused great confusion among both the spectators and staff because it wasn't clear which seats belonged to which row. However, the atmosphere was very good - bit like 20/20 cricket with the music etc.

Overall I was very impressed with the everything - a great example of how we can organise big events.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Here are the sporting venues in the Olympic Park:

BMX Track
Velodrome
Basketball Arena
Riverbank Arena
Copper Box
Water Polo Arena
Aquatics Centre
Olympic Stadium

Yep going to watch hockey semis. Only tickets we could get so making a great day out when we go on 8th August.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yes, Handball in the Copper Box tomorrow.

I'm jolly well excited about the whole thing.

And so you should be :thumbsup:

We're going up next Sunday for women's handball and we're really looking forward to it. Bit of a classic going on right now in fact between Norway and France.

Edit: And France have done it by one goal :) Brilliant game that!

Last edited:

AgerBomb22

Jun 2, 2011
Chi Town/Burgess Hill
Already been. saw the first rehersal for the opening ceremony last monday. Also got tickets for acsess to the olympic park for me and my brother on thursday

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
Thought I'd share my views on the arrangements for the Beach Volleyball at Horseguards Parade here rather than start another thread. Went to the 9:00 session so the first real test for everyone. Loads of the Olympic Ambassadors around to direct you to the venues and all were very friendly.

Arrived about 50 minutes before the event thanks to a faulty train on Southern, breezed into the stadium with fast moving queues, loads of security channels (Gatwick could learn from this!). Plenty of variety in the food and drink on offer and the prices were fairly reasonable for a top sporting event. You can take in small empty bottles to fill up with water which keeps the costs down. Loads of toilets with no queues for the gents and fairly small queues for the ladies.

The setting at Horseguards is great and there is enough legroom to be comfortable. One very minor niggle was that the way they have labelled the rows caused great confusion among both the spectators and staff because it wasn't clear which seats belonged to which row. However, the atmosphere was very good - bit like 20/20 cricket with the music etc.

Overall I was very impressed with the everything - a great example of how we can organise big events.

Team Henfield went yesterday - and yes rather strange that the row numbering is somewhat confusing for everyone, Games Makers & ticketholders alike. It happened to us in the Basketball Arena too. But the whole day was absolutely brilliant. A "pinch yourself you are part of a world event' occasion.

I had the same feeling at Wembley in 1983 - having only ever watched a Cup Final on television (and bear in mind the esteem in which it was held back then). To be part of the Olympics as a Games Maker, spectator, participant, catering or in whatever capacity - in our country - is truly something special.

The OP is well designed. We left Henfield at 9.10 and arrived inside the OP (after clearing the airport type security) at 11.10am. Tip : Go to Waterloo (via Clapham Junction) - you pick up the Jubilee Line two stops earlier than London Bridge. Seats all the way on the underground & trains.

Walking from Stratford tube station to the Stadium itself in the OP, depending on security clearance time - around 15/20 mins for us. From the Basketball Arena back to the tube, nearer 25 mins - no security clearance of course, just crowds! But tube trains waiting and got seats again.

No security checks on entering the individual sports venue, just a quick ticket check - so you move in the queues very quickly. All the staff, officials, Games Makers, Police etc are smiling and they all want you to enjoy yourselves.

Yes it's a McDonalds/Coke etc stitch up, but as the huge poster says outside Westfield - without all the sponsors, there would be no gold medal Olympic/World record performances.

There are though lots of other refreshment outlets on site.

Boris Johnson joined the McDonalds queue when we there, causing great excitement - and he & he his team ate on the picnic benches with the punters. Good photo opp!

Huge thanks must go to everyone involved - but especially to the Games Makers (they are everywhere and so helpful) and the Army/RAF. The nice thing is that we weren't alone in thanking them on our way in/out for their efforts.

A light backpack is fine - take an empty bottle (there are loads of water fountains around) and your VISA card.

If you're going, you'll never forget it - if you're not, you should still be justifiably proud of what this country has staged.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
If you want to but haven't got a ticket, keep checking the official site. Last night I bagged 2 for the evening session of the Athletics on August 8th... Couldn't believe it after months of frustration with that website! Not cheap but I'm pretty sure there'll never be another London Olympics in my lifetime so what the heck... And to go to the Olympics abroad would cost a fortune in travel, so it's cheap really (I keep telling myself)...

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Incidentally, we have to collect our tickets at the Stratford Box Office on the day. Any ideas how long that process is taking people? Cheers

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
Incidentally, we have to collect our tickets at the Stratford Box Office on the day. Any ideas how long that process is taking people? Cheers

Not too many people at the Ticket Collection point I saw, but that was in the OP. You need a ticket to get in the OP, so I imagine you collect your tickets near the Station/Westfield - again everything was so organised, I can't imagine it would be longer than a 10 mins wait.

To be honest I've queued longer after a football match (ie Upton Park) than I did yesterday.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton

i've loved watching the beach volleyball so far and would love to have gone

one question for you because i've wondered while watching...is the MC annoying? between every point he seems to be shouting out random crap and it just sounds really annoying, i like the music but is there a need for his commentary?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Not too many people at the Ticket Collection point I saw, but that was in the OP. You need a ticket to get in the OP, so I imagine you collect your tickets near the Station/Westfield - again everything was so organised, I can't imagine it would be longer than a 10 mins wait.

To be honest I've queued longer after a football match (ie Upton Park) than I did yesterday.

Oops. Thanks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here