Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who is better equipped for the premiership

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
If we get to Wembley - I believe that our pitch is the same dimensions, that may give us an advantage in the final.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Now, firstly, I'm biased towards us (obviously) but I do normally try and detach from that.

However, I have to say, I honestly think we would be in a much better position than Cardiff or Hull if we were to go up for one 2 reasons alone, and both involving player recruitment.

1 - Gus. He has a reputation and that little something that makes players want to play for him. You get 3 offers for the same money and go to meet the 3 managers. Steve Bruce.....Malkay Mackay...or Gus the flairmaniac wacky-waving arm flailing tube-man. I know which one I would want to work with on a training pitch each day.

2 - A sub point to Gus. We have a KNOWN style. I challenge you to decribe me Hull City and Cardiff's football ethos. The best I hear is "they are solid". Now don't get me wrong. Solid is BLOODY GOOD. It's got them promotion so well done.

However, from a player recruitment point we KNOW what type of player we want. It's VERY specific. Cardiff and Hull are going to dip into a huge pool of 'average' prem players in my opinion. I can just see Bruce signing (off the top of my head), Jon Dean Whitehead, David Vaughan, Tony Hibbert, Phil Neville. That sort of ilk. Obviously good players but probably an 11 of 'solid' players.

We will go the other route. Specific players from all over the shop with technical ability who will carry on our passing style. I could be wrong but I reckon that is a huge benefit.

I like the cut of your gib

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
Can not judge yet, need to see the new signings before making any assumptions.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You've also got to bear in mind the league the Championship teams are going into.

That being the 3 from 8 league.

In that one I think us and a decent amount of other Championship sides could more than hold there own.

My reservation for promotion would be The Albion in the 4th from bottom cliche.
I think that would be pretty depressing and tough on NSC.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I think the only side who could stay up in the Premiership is Watford,best side seen here this season who have a very useful arrangement for borrowng top young Italien players, I have no wish to see us become another Reading,Bolton or Wigan so more than happy to watch Championship football in the future.

Sloughseagull

Apr 23, 2013
Slough
Another question, what would fans prefer, to stay in the Championship and consolidate for the next 2 to 5 years and build a great team which will probably mean losing GP to a premiership or LaLiga team or spend a season in the premiership where we could potentially struggle and fight relegation. Surely £60m over 4 years is nothing to be sniffed at? Would be interested to hear your views.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I think the only side who could stay up in the Premiership is Watford,best side seen here this season who have a very useful arrangement for borrowng top young Italien players, I have no wish to see us become another Reading,Bolton or Wigan so more than happy to watch Championship football in the future.

The problem Watford will have is that the loophole that allowed them to field vast numbers of overseas loan players this season is going to be closed in the summer. They will therefore have to either buy the loanees or perish!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Out of the sides relegated in the last 2 seasons, not one has gone up automatically! The Premier League has had a clear out of some dead wood, it looks far harder to stay up now than it did when Swansea first went up.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Now, firstly, I'm biased towards us (obviously) but I do normally try and detach from that.

However, I have to say, I honestly think we would be in a much better position than Cardiff or Hull if we were to go up for one 2 reasons alone, and both involving player recruitment.

1 - Gus. He has a reputation and that little something that makes players want to play for him. You get 3 offers for the same money and go to meet the 3 managers. Steve Bruce.....Malkay Mackay...or Gus the flairmaniac wacky-waving arm flailing tube-man. I know which one I would want to work with on a training pitch each day.

2 - A sub point to Gus. We have a KNOWN style. I challenge you to decribe me Hull City and Cardiff's football ethos. The best I hear is "they are solid". Now don't get me wrong. Solid is BLOODY GOOD. It's got them promotion so well done.

However, from a player recruitment point we KNOW what type of player we want. It's VERY specific. Cardiff and Hull are going to dip into a huge pool of 'average' prem players in my opinion. I can just see Bruce signing (off the top of my head), Jon Dean Whitehead, David Vaughan, Tony Hibbert, Phil Neville. That sort of ilk. Obviously good players but probably an 11 of 'solid' players.

We will go the other route. Specific players from all over the shop with technical ability who will carry on our passing style. I could be wrong but I reckon that is a huge benefit.

Really like this post.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
If we do go up, I'll probably retire from NSC

Much as I like it on here, we'd have a tough ride in the PL. And the, why doesn't Poyet play this player/this formation/say this/not say this morons will be like pigs in s**t.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Another question, what would fans prefer, to stay in the Championship and consolidate for the next 2 to 5 years and build a great team which will probably mean losing GP to a premiership or LaLiga team or spend a season in the premiership where we could potentially struggle and fight relegation. Surely £60m over 4 years is nothing to be sniffed at? Would be interested to hear your views.

Would be more than happy to fight relegation for the first year. The income from that first year and the following year from just surviving would see us finish maybe top half of the bottom.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

Extraordinarily well put. I think we may be more risky than solid (more Swansea than Stoke). It all comes down to a) budget and b) how wisely that budget is spent.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Would have loved the training ground to be ready, only downside IMO!

jemwillett

Feb 17, 2012
Burgess Hill
Interesting this as I currently work with a Cardiff supporter who sees most of their games.

We were discussing this point about who is better equipped to stay in the Prem and he immediatelt said we were. He saw us beat Cardiff 2-0 and was most impressed with how we did it.

I still have no idea how we did it. He must be a genius.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK

Great post, sums up my view succinctly.

TNBA

TTF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here