Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who feels a bit silly?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's still about the window. I see Chris Wood bagged 2 on debut, Leicester will tie up a top 6 spot now.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think everyone can see that we need to go on a run of wins, three on the spin, five/six out of seven, to have even a sniff of realistically getting back in the play-off picture. We have left a lot of points out there on the pitch, especially at home, in the first half of the season and one good win clearly doesn't make up for all those dropped points, welcome though it is. Still four wins out of last 18 matches.

But after the gloom it is at least another chance to kickstart things. Gus should be telling the team to aim higher than sixth to give ourselves more spots to claim, so we need the points to do that (ie loads more, quite quickly to make up ground on the Boros and the Leicesters). We also have to do better against the better teams this half of the season, because if we don't we have got no chance.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I don't think any of us need to feel silly, our recent form & run of results hasn't been good enough & were entitled to moan. This was a great result today, but it was only Ipswich, we need a good run of results or to show we can compete against the top sides in the league. It's still only 4 wins in 18 matches, fingers crossed we can put a good run together & sign a few players quickly, although only 3 points of the play offs somehow lol

Only Ipswich. Last season was just the second time in the last 55 years that we have finished above Ipswich in the league. Now it looks like we will do it again this year. I know its been said on here loads, but it's good sometimes to step back and appreciate just how far we have come in the past few years.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
What board? You mean the message board which is a total irrelevance and entirely unrepresentative of the quiet majority? Or the club's board... now that would be worrying... but I don't believe for a second that they're only 70-30 in favour of Poyet...

Yes, the message board. And as for it being a total irrelevance and entirely unrepresentative, quite often, the general mood and views here sum the situation up quite succcinctly on many subjects directly about or surrounding the Albion. If you feel that opinions and topics on here are a total irrelevance, why bother coming on here ?

If you actually looked at the results of any polls on Gus as manager you would see that the " Quiet Majority " of fans are about 70/30 in favour of Gus and what he is trying to achieve despite some poor results.The clubs board is in reality an irrelevance as there is only one opinion there that matters and that is TB's.

I hope that clarifies things for you ?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Yes, the message board. And as for it being a total irrelevance and entirely unrepresentative, quite often, the general mood and views here sum the situation up quite succcinctly on many subjects directly about or surrounding the Albion. If you feel that opinions and topics on here are a total irrelevance, why bother coming on here ?

If you actually looked at the results of any polls on Gus as manager you would see that the " Quiet Majority " of fans are about 70/30 in favour of Gus and what he is trying to achieve despite some poor results.The clubs board is in reality an irrelevance as there is only one opinion there that matters and that is TB's.

Generally, I write on here when I get hacked off with the ludicrous negativity on display at the slightest setback and can't help but try to redress the balance. As many opposing fans testify when they come on to NSC, the overall impression is of a club where the fans are unhappy with the manager, team, style of play, price of tickets, transport and so on. Not surprisingly, they, like me, find that hard to understand.

The vast majority of Albion supporters I know barely look at NSC, unlike those (like me) who spend too much time here. Many of those seem to think that the club and all of our fans are hanging on their every word, whereas I see it as just a bit of fun. Or, increasingly, used to.

In the main poll you quote, 142 people voted. That's about 0.5% of a 26500 crowd. If you think that will give a statistically significant result of any sort, you a) know nothing about maths and b) are living in cloud cuckoo land.

Hopefully clear enough for you.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
Generally, I write on here when I get hacked off with the ludicrous negativity on display at the slightest setback and can't help but try to redress the balance. As many opposing fans testify when they come on to NSC, the overall impression is of a club where the fans are unhappy with the manager, team, style of play, price of tickets, transport and so on. Not surprisingly, they, like me, find that hard to understand.

The vast majority of Albion supporters I know barely look at NSC, unlike those (like me) who spend too much time here. Many of those seem to think that the club and all of our fans are hanging on their every word, whereas I see it as just a bit of fun. Or, increasingly, used to.

In the main poll you quote, 142 people voted. That's about 0.5% of a 26500 crowd. If you think that will give a statistically significant result of any sort, you a) know nothing about maths and b) are living in cloud cuckoo land.

Hopefully clear enough for you.

Good post, have ben onNSC for 10 years, lts of bollocks, but some funny moments and some great posts. Depressing tht there are currently so many whingers, ome of wom have100's pf pots,i wonder sometimws f they areu Albion fans. Would probably be even more if we make the EPL.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Not the bit about a slide to only 50% support or worse for Gus although I suppose that is only your opinion

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Only Ipswich. Last season was just the second time in the last 55 years that we have finished above Ipswich in the league. Now it looks like we will do it again this year. I know its been said on here loads, but it's good sometimes to step back and appreciate just how far we have come in the past few years.

History is all well and good, but the foundations have been laid to become a top Championship side and eventually a Premiership side. With that expectations naturally rise. We will never go back to crowds of 6,000 with our new stadium, even if we drop down into League One.

It's occasionally frustrating coming away from games knowing that we should have taken the three points. We are a decent striker away from becoming a top Championship side. I guess its a balance in the boardroom as to how much cash to release and how much fans will stand with the inevitable season ticket increase that will no doubt come if that decent striker is to be funded.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think everyone can see that we need to go on a run of wins, three on the spin, five/six out of seven, to have even a sniff of realistically getting back in the play-off picture. We have left a lot of points out there on the pitch, especially at home, in the first half of the season and one good win clearly doesn't make up for all those dropped points, welcome though it is. Still four wins out of last 18 matches.

But after the gloom it is at least another chance to kickstart things. Gus should be telling the team to aim higher than sixth to give ourselves more spots to claim, so we need the points to do that (ie loads more, quite quickly to make up ground on the Boros and the Leicesters). We also have to do better against the better teams this half of the season, because if we don't we have got no chance.

Nope. Win our game in hand and we're back in the playoffs.

But yes, generally we need to find a bit of momentum from somewhere.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not the bit about a slide to only 50% support or worse for Gus although I suppose that is only your opinion

I was playing devil's advocate with the 50 % part, I think he has done and is doing a good job, I certainly couldn't think of anyone better to manage us at the moment. But, if the results are continually going against us and we drop far enough down the table then what do you think will happen ?
We can ignore Trueblue with his percentage statistics, if the team plummets so the calls for change will increase. Which is not provocative or controversial just a fact of football these days.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I was playing devil's advocate with the 50 % part, I think he has done and is doing a good job, I certainly couldn't think of anyone better to manage us at the moment. But, if the results are continually going against us and we drop far enough down the table then what do you think will happen ?
We can ignore Trueblue with his percentage statistics, if the team plummets so the calls for change will increase. Which is not provocative or controversial just a fact of football these days.

First .. "if" the team plummets. That's a pretty big "if". And even then, I think and hope we'd have to be in a dire situation for Tony Bloom to decide Gus is no longer the man for the job. He certainly isn't likely to be swayed from the course he's set by the views of a tiny minority of over-critical, fickle "supporters" who vent their spleen from the safety of their bedrooms and either think we're world-beaters one week and hopeless the next, or have made their minds up to seek attention by slagging off players and the manager consistently.

You can ignore the percentage statistics by all means but the Chairman is a shrewd guy. I really don't think a dip in results would stop him from seeing the bigger picture - that Poyet has transformed the club from bottom to top, improved many of the players he inherited vastly, used his reputation and contacts to bring in high quality footballers like Bruno and Bridge and wants to pursue a style of football that would sit very well in the Premier League. He gave him a 5 year contract for a reason - to build a club. Chopping and changing that to appease the whingers - who would then be moaning again as soon as we lost a couple in a row - wouldn't achieve anything. There've been a few bad signings but that's how it goes when you're looking for bargains.

If we were bottom of the league and adrift by 6 points, some of the comments on here would be justifiable. At 9th in the table and three points from the play-offs after a very respectable finish last year, the moaners deserve to be treated with the contempt - or perhaps just laughter - that their comments deserve.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Nope. Win our game in hand and we're back in the playoffs.

But yes, generally we need to find a bit of momentum from somewhere.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
timed the Ipswich game just right............. they have just signed McLean from Hull & McGoldrick from Forest. Should be a dangerous strike force in games against our competitors fot a play off spot :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here