Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who does Phil Gartside think he is?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Apparently even a team as crap as Bolton in England earn 15 times more per year in TV revenue than Rangers or Celtic do, thanks to the Sky deal, hence the Old Firm are so desperate for a piece of the pie.

Tough luck I say, plenty of people earn more than I do but you know, I just have to live with it.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Lets say this does start to get more attention, what could we all do as supporters up and down this country to stop this sort of thing ever happening?

Cancel your Sky subscription?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There was a thread about this last week and I asked then how this could happen. I can see that the likes of Bolton might think it's a good idea but, as I said last week, why would the likes of Man U or Man C, Arsenal or Tottenham vote for a proposal that would mean less money for them (which is natural if you share the proceeds more evenly): some of these clubs have massive debt to service, I can't see them agreeing to it. If just 7 PL clubs vote against it, it won't happen.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Agree with Edna and Was Not Was on this. Gartside is a self-serving teat with a short memory and delusions of grandeur. Imagine if such a plan came into being last summer?

I'm sure Leeds, Huddersfield, Saints, Charlton and Norwich would all have been soooo thrilled.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
My belief is that Rangers and Celtic would be bottom 1/2 of the Championship. I live here and see the regular dross that is served up in the SPL. In fact when Gus the bus sorts our defence out we could take them nae probs.
Especially the green and white great unwashed from the East End of Dublin , er I mean Glasgow.

TNBA

TTF

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The other thing about this is would Sky want it. They make their money from the big teams - would they want something where Man Utd and Chelsea get fewer games on TV because they've had to fit in the likes of Blackpool and Swansea? I just can't see that happening.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Rangers and Celtic will never play in the English Prem.

Prediction ends.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Its never going to happen.

I sincerely hope you're right. Then again, I don't think I'd have predicted f-ing SKY pissing us about by moving a L1 game v Southampton to a Sunday; c/w a half-past sodding 4 KO! :rant:

ps I wouldn't put it past 'em (S**) to have deliberately knobbled the trains on Sunday, either.

Last edited:

Sonic The Hedgehog

Oi Lino You're A Disgrace
Jul 7, 2003
Wetherspoons, Fareham
Gartside is chairman of a club that roughly 15 years ago, was playing at the same level of English football that the Albion are now.

He knows by the cyclical nature of these things that in all likelihood they could be back there in the next few years - after all it's happened to enough ex-Premier league sides recently.

So he is simply trying to make sure they don't by getting rid of relegation. And making sure that no club that might be better equipped to play in the Premier League in the future can get there to take their place.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I think it's a great idea, a two tier Premier League what with Celtic, Rangers and an Irish Giant added would be a mouthwatering prospect and add further magic to the greatest league in the World.

As long as there is still promotion and relegation from the normal football league I don't see what the problem would be?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Gartside is a business man trying to get as much money for himself as well as his 'brand'. He is going into a meeting with 19 other like minded people who if they see this as making money for themselves will push it through. UEFA and FIFA will probably have a problem with it as might the EU (restriction of trade?) but I'm sure they will sort those out. Money talks and this lot are all about money.

Personally would love to see how many people turn up for say Bolton v Wigan and the wrong end of Premier 2 (or whatever it will be called) when there is nothing resting on the game as no relegation. Sure Sky would throw a bundle of $ to show that one live.

From a purely selfish point of view I hope Bloom's plans come together and we are a top championship side pushing for promotion when this all comes together otherwise we may as well pack up and go home. The money outside the top 2 would completely dry up, clubs will go to the wall and others would go part time. It will become like American sports where you pretty much need an invite to compete with the proper teams

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
It's funny how it's often people in charge of the dross clubs who want to pull the drawbridge up - this reminds of Paul Scally when Gillingham were in the Championship. Not sure he'd be so keen on a PL2 nowadays.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Gartside is a business man trying to get as much money for himself as well as his 'brand'. He is going into a meeting with 19 other like minded people who if they see this as making money for themselves

But, as I wrote above, there aren't 19 other like-minded people who see this as making money for themselves. There are at least 7 clubs who will see less money coming their way. I really don't see why you think that clubs will vote for something that cuts their income.

Personally would love to see how many people turn up for say Bolton v Wigan and the wrong end of Premier 2 (or whatever it will be called) when there is nothing resting on the game as no relegation. Sure Sky would throw a bundle of $ to show that one live.

Well, exactly, Sky are the paymasters here and they're not going to cough up heaps to show lots of nonentity teams instead of the likes of Man U.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I would absolutely piss my pants laughing if this did come to fruition........ the season Bolton get relegated to League 1, and we replace them in The Championship.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Is this the same Bolton that were in the old fourth division a few back ? Total Tart. Lets great it is Celtic & Rangers that have damaged/screwed Scottish football not the other 38 clubs. :angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here