Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

who do youthink is the most

kalinx

Jan 11, 2006
I was out last night with a mate's dad who was talking about the Goldstone era and i asked him who he thought was the most famous, well known player ever to have graced the goldstone turf so now im putting it to NSC.

Kind of like ronaldo making an appearance at Roots hall, who do you think it is for us?

Didn't Bobby Charlton turn out for Preston North End at the Goldstone?

Some of us are old enough to have travelled Europe in the days when "Bobby" and "Charlton" were the ONLY two English words spoken by most of the population of the continent.

Sir Norman Gull

Where's my poncho?
Mar 28, 2008
Location Location
For us older ones I remember seeing the following at the Goldstone:- Johnny Haynes(Fulham) & Bobby Charlton(Preston NE)

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Probably correct, he is possibly the most well known footballer in the world ever, so it make his debut appearance at The Goldstone Ground the final answer in this thread.

Probably correct,but as a young fan,I was thrilled to see a certain Bobby Smith of Spurs and England fame make his debut in a Brighton shirt many years ago in the old 4th Division!!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Surely it should be the man who captained his team to the European Cup in 1986 and the signed for the Albion?

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Zinedine Zidane played there I believe when spurs and Wimbledon hosted some Intertoto games. Can anyone else confirm this as when I told someone else that we hosted Intertoto games they said I was mad.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Zinedine Zidane played there I believe when spurs and Wimbledon hosted some Intertoto games. Can anyone else confirm this as when I told someone else that we hosted Intertoto games they said I was mad.

We did indeed but i cant confirm if ZZ played or not

Yorkshire-Seagull

Feb 11, 2008
Salvatore Schillaci played there in the England v Italy B international. A couple of years later, he was the top scorer in the World Cup.

Beckham is still the correct answer though.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Damn! Beat me to it Y-S!

How about Toto Schillaci playing for Italy B against England B in 1989.

Two years later Golden Boot winner at Italia 90.

Mind you, sunk without trace after that!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here