Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who do you want to succeed Tony Blair?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Now we know Tony Blair's not going to stand again after the next election, who do you want to be the next Prime Minister? I want Gordon Brown but obviously Blair would rather Milburn.

Assuming Labour win the next election ( Tory's fourth place last night in Hartelpool, very, very funny), Blair can't serve a full time as he'll have to give his successor time to get into the job etc. That means he'll have to go a six months to a year before the general election. I don't really understand why Blair has done this. How can you govern/ lead when everyone knows you're going to step down? Damaged already by Iraq, isn't he fundamentally weakened now as PM?

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Mark McGhee.

Failing that, Gordon Brown.

What are David Blunkett's chances? I've always thought him to be one of the better politicians.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm no fan of TB but I feel that he's in no-win position here. If he says that he's going to go on and on (like Thatcher did), he'd be regarded as a maniac. If he says he's going to quit at some point, people will start speculating about his successor.

I think he's done the right thing: he's given a cut-off point and says that he'll give his successor a chance to take over before the election. He's also quashed speculation that he'll be resigning shortly or just after the next election.

People assume it's going to be between Brown and Milburn. I'm not so sure. We're five years, at least, away from a leadership election. You'd have got long odds on John Major in 1985 or on Tony Blair in 1989, there's plenty of time for someone to sneak up on the rails.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
If Prescott gives us Falmer, he can have it!

(mind you, I think he's stepping down soon)

Joking apart - Gordon Brown.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
US Presidents are only allowed to serve two terms maximum.

Doesn't ever stop them going for re-election after the first one tho' does it ?

It's easy to Govern / Lead when everyone knows you will stand down at the end. What would you prefer, a geriatric Prime Minister slobbering at the mouth & doped up to the eyeballs like Brezhnev, or worse still, the Pope ?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Peter Mandelson - fresh from his triumphant leadership of TB's crusade to get Britain into the Euro and signing the new European Charter.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I like Tony Blair, and I'd be happy for him to stay on as long as he said he wants to.

Gordon Brown is more or less the succsessor by default (who else is there in the Labour Party?) but I'm not convinced he'd be better than TB.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Gwylan said:
I'm no fan of TB but I feel that he's in no-win position here. If he says that he's going to go on and on (like Thatcher did), he'd be regarded as a maniac. If he says he's going to quit at some point, people will start speculating about his successor.

I think he's done the right thing: he's given a cut-off point and says that he'll give his successor a chance to take over before the election. He's also quashed speculation that he'll be resigning shortly or just after the next election.

People assume it's going to be between Brown and Milburn. I'm not so sure. We're five years, at least, away from a leadership election. You'd have got long odds on John Major in 1985 or on Tony Blair in 1989, there's plenty of time for someone to sneak up on the rails.

Good point about other contenders. Five years is a life time in politics. David Milliband for instance, is very experienced in terms of policy and how Westminster works etc but will need to be in the cabinet soon, which is all perfectly possible I suppose. Ed Balls - a future chancellor? Maybe, but I don't think Milliband has got the charisma that Blair had to be PM.

Also depends a lot on what happens to Tory Party after the election.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Duncan H said:
IGordon Brown is more or less the succsessor by default (who else is there in the Labour Party?)

Not now he isn't! With TB going on, and on, for the next 5 years, surely Gordon Brown will get even further sidelined, especially as the return of Tony's arch-cronie Alan Milburn to the cabinet as Chancellor (of the Duchy of Lancaster).

My bet is he will run to some fat cat job at the earliest opportunity - something like Chairman of the IMF, or World Bank President.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
FG Football Genius!

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Sir Dick Knight :clap2:

CAFC Matt

Jul 27, 2003
Woodindean
I ain't really clued up on Politics and to be honest don't really care. As long as I am alright in day to day life then the Country can run as it wishes....I will let everyone else fight over everything else

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Duncan H said:
I like Tony Blair, and I'd be happy for him to stay on as long as he said he wants to.

Gordon Brown is more or less the succsessor by default (who else is there in the Labour Party?) but I'm not convinced he'd be better than TB.

couldnt have voiced my views any differently. spot on

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I misread the thread title and thought it was "Do you want to replace Tony Blair":ohmy:

I was expecting a thread with London Irish fighting off allcomers as he took over Blair's mantle :lol:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here