Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who do you want to become our new manager?

Who will become our next manager?

• Graham Potter

Votes: 102 15.5%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 161 24.5%
  • Rob Edwards

Votes: 38 5.8%
  • Vincent Kompany

Votes: 42 6.4%
  • Steve Cooper

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Kjetil Knutsen

Votes: 53 8.1%
  • Liam Rosenior

Votes: 25 3.8%
  • Adam Lallana

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Gareth Southgate

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Sami Hyypia

Votes: 14 2.1%
  • Mark McGhee

Votes: 16 2.4%
  • Micky Adams

Votes: 16 2.4%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 166 25.3%

• Total voters

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
No idea on Palace’s transfer business but this still rankles with me.

We were in a once in a lifetime opportunity to kick on and cement our stability in the top half for the next couple of years but let it slip with poor signings and what seems from the outside, a lack of ambition.

Squad wise, we’re now closer to being in the position we were in during Summer 21. That year we signed Mwepu and Cucarella who both arrived with decent pedigree. Realistically need at least two very similar signings again to stand still.
100% this. The roots of every problems we’ve had over the last 6 months had been because we had a shite summer window. didn’t get in a proper medical team. didn’t even come close to compensating for £150Ms worth of talent being sold. missed out on the marquee targets which could’ve drastically improved our fortunes.

and now all of a sudden, 12 months later we're a much less attractive proposition while the teams around us like newcastle, west ham and villa have all had very successful seasons and have either surpassed us or pulled further ahead (okay we can’t pay the wages they do but if we want to be stable top 10, that’s who we’re competing with), and we’ve been caught up pretty much by bournemouth, wolves and palace. i think people vastly overrate our squad as although there’s really good talent, it’s fundamentally unbalanced. and the best opportunity we’ll probably ever have to do something about that, and get in players who can still win games even when we aren’t playing well, was totally squandered

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
100% this. The roots of every problems we’ve had over the last 6 months had been because we had a shite summer window. didn’t get in a proper medical team. didn’t even come close to compensating for £150Ms worth of talent being sold. missed out on the marquee targets which could’ve drastically improved our fortunes.

and now all of a sudden, 12 months later we're a much less attractive proposition while the teams around us like newcastle, west ham and villa have all had very successful seasons and have either surpassed us or pulled further ahead (okay we can’t pay the wages they do but if we want to be stable top 10, that’s who we’re competing with), and we’ve been caught up pretty much by bournemouth, wolves and palace. i think people vastly overrate our squad as although there’s really good talent, it’s fundamentally unbalanced. and the best opportunity we’ll probably ever have to do something about that, and get in players who can still win games even when we aren’t playing well, was totally squandered
West ham finished 4 points ahead of us after spending an absolute tonne. Play tosh football and sacked their manager. Not sure we should be looking up to them. Newcastle also underachieved last season.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
If we are going down that route then Danny Rohl at Sheffield Wednesday might be under consideration. He did a fine job, after picking up a right mess halfway through last season.
He’s just signed a new contract in the past week. If we were considering him, we would have made contact beforehand.

Our sights will be set higher.

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
West ham finished 4 points ahead of us after spending an absolute tonne. Play tosh football and sacked their manager. Not sure we should be looking up to them. Newcastle also underachieved last season.
Had an even worse January window than us, Phillips their only incoming.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
true but they’re in a much better position because they’ve held on to their best players apart from rice and replaced adequately in that scenario, said player’s absence isn’t felt too much.

and they have their manager a squad deep enough to win a european trophy

Han Solo

May 25, 2024

With hindsight, it was of course a big mistake allowing the manager to have a say in our transfer business. Our peak/edge signings had to be spot on in order to challenge for Europe. Change Igor, Dahoud and Fati for three club signings with the level of talent/mpact as Joao Pedro, Baleba and Adingra, and things would have been a bit easier (though top 6 wasn't ever happening this season).

Squad looks great, just needs a decent manager. Some deadweight out, 2-3 good signings and we're good to go.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
true but they’re in a much better position because they’ve held on to their best players apart from rice and replaced adequately in that scenario, said player’s absence isn’t felt too much.

and they have their manager a squad deep enough to win a european trophy

It was interesting how early they started looking for Moyes replacement. It looked really disrespectful, but in hindsight maybe they realised the manager situation this summer was going to be hard and they wanted a head start.

Pliny the Gull

Mar 4, 2024
Following on from my previous post.
Raffaelle Palladino reported to be eyeing up a premiership move, currently learning English.
Contract is up in June.
Just won mang of month for April.
Style ticks a lot of boxes.
Probably a Juve or Roma move, but you never no.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
With hindsight, it was of course a big mistake allowing the manager to have a say in our transfer business. Our peak/edge signings had to be spot on in order to challenge for Europe. Change Igor, Dahoud and Fati for three club signings with the level of talent/mpact as Joao Pedro, Baleba and Adingra, and things would have been a bit easier (though top 6 wasn't ever happening this season).

Squad looks great, just needs a decent manager. Some deadweight out, 2-3 good signings and we're good to go.
Couldn’t help notice the “we”,”us”, and “our” being used, are you finally a full time Albion fan now Swanny?

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018

yeah absolutely we do still have a very good squad and i will concede my post was driven mainly by feeling rather than necessarily by objective fact, though i think there is good reason behind what i wrote.

i think the frustrating part is that we were well up there for european qualification again up until the last couple of months. i’d like to see us be a bit smarter going forward. obviously don’t drop the way we play possession based football, but playing as expansively as we did and pressing as intensely as we did is always going to come unstuck when we play against teams who have that quality on the counter. we need to learn to be a bit tighter at times and just do the basics well. a lot of the way were playing felt like running before we could walk. trying to put together these intricate moves which were often too pedestrian came to nothing, and then being done by one ball over the top. we need that pace and power in defence/midfield as much as we need the ball-playing ability. and just cutting the amount of stupid goals we concede in half would probably push us up another couple of places.

i do think the deadwood point is important. i know it sounds harsh and some posters really don’t like discussing it but having players who contribute 2/3 good games a season, or spend three quarters in the treatment table really isn’t enough

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Steve Cooper.

1000004677.png

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Lallana ain't coming back any time soon.

Obviously Potter would be the ideal appointment for us right now. I expect the club is doing everything they can to make it happen.

It's certain he'll bring back his old team though, should he decide to come back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here