Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who do you want to become our new manager?

Who will become our next manager?

• Graham Potter

Votes: 102 15.5%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 161 24.5%
  • Rob Edwards

Votes: 38 5.8%
  • Vincent Kompany

Votes: 42 6.4%
  • Steve Cooper

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Kjetil Knutsen

Votes: 53 8.1%
  • Liam Rosenior

Votes: 25 3.8%
  • Adam Lallana

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Gareth Southgate

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Sami Hyypia

Votes: 14 2.1%
  • Mark McGhee

Votes: 16 2.4%
  • Micky Adams

Votes: 16 2.4%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 166 25.3%

• Total voters

No idea on Palace’s transfer business but this still rankles with me.

We were in a once in a lifetime opportunity to kick on and cement our stability in the top half for the next couple of years but let it slip with poor signings and what seems from the outside, a lack of ambition.

Squad wise, we’re now closer to being in the position we were in during Summer 21. That year we signed Mwepu and Cucarella who both arrived with decent pedigree. Realistically need at least two very similar signings again to stand still.
Spot on. Europe, class manager, should have invested, but chose to lack a bit of ambition.

Swegulls

Aug 29, 2023
Stockholm
All this noise in the media the last couple of months (no ambition, no new players in etc) might have hurt the club more than we think. From doing everything right in all levels to where we are now. Should have kept that noise behind closed doors I think.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The above kind of emphasises the fact that we need an appointment soonish... I've said previously we cannot hope to recruit first team ready players without a head coach in position. Why would any player sign for a club when you've no idea if it's Steve Cooper or Cafu who's effectively going to be your boss... ?

I'm not advocating the wrong appointment for the sake of it btw, but the longer we're rudderless the harder it's going to be to sell the club to incoming players... great facilities etc. sure - they go a long way, but if you're an agent/player with no idea on style and/or direction we're simply not an attractive option...

I'm sure the powers that be recognise this, and equally I'm not sure it's anyone's fault that we missed out on target #1... but we do need an alternative in order to reinvigorate the squad.

Fingers crossed the next two weeks see a positive and bold statement in terms of our new top man :)
I'd settle for a safe pair of hands for a season or two. Stay in the division (that's the no.1 priority) and then go again.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I'd settle for a safe pair of hands for a season or two. Stay in the division (that's the no.1 priority) and then go again.
I agree, bold can mean many things - and I really was really getting at a steady Cooper style appointment that might seem brave/bold but actually might prove just the tonic !

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
All this noise in the media the last couple of months (no ambition, no new players in etc) might have hurt the club more than we think. From doing everything right in all levels to where we are now. Should have kept that noise behind closed doors I think.
Where are we now? Just changing managers, that's all. Contrary to the portents of doom on here we're doing fine - the sky hasn't fallen in yet. (Lugna ner 😉)

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Nah no long term damage done imho. And yeah I think the next manager will be one who works with the club rather than against it.
I agree, bold can mean many things - and I really was really getting at a steady Cooper style appointment that might seem brave/bold but actually might prove just the tonic !
Sometimes you need bold managers, sometimes you need bald.
Tony will know.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
Thats pretty hard to do when the Head Coach insists on mouthing off after every game.

Swegulls

Aug 29, 2023
Stockholm
Where are we now? Just changing managers, that's all. Contrary to the portents of doom on here we're doing fine - the sky hasn't fallen in yet. (Lugna ner 😉)
Just thinking that the view (by media and potential new players) is slightly different now compared to last summer. Think it's harder to get anyone to sign now... but I'm quite calm anyway! :)

Swegulls

Aug 29, 2023
Stockholm
Thats pretty hard to do when the Head Coach insists on mouthing off after every game.
Exactly, that's on RDZ if you ask me. He might be, or he probably is, a good coach but there are other things he have to improve. Might have been language problems but it's probably more to it than that. It didn't look pretty the last couple of months.

Last edited:

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
The Cooper discussion got me thinking about what we need from our new manager.

I know there’s a suggestion that we are keen to stick with a possession-based style, but I’m starting to wonder if the next man should be someone who’s playing style is likely to get the best out of certain key individuals.

This means someone who has a system which would get the best out of Mitoma, Pedro, Enciso and Ferguson - whether that’s as a possession dominant team or otherwise. If there’s a coach out there who has a clear plan to get the best out of those 4, then whether it’s with 65% possession or 50% possession isn’t quite as important.

Lots of what goes on in football is cyclical, and it may be that the wave of possession-based teams is coming to end of its cycle. Could it be time to get ahead of the curve and find the next best style or trend?

The only trend that I’ve noticed getting stronger again recently is successful sides prioritising physically dominant profiles all over the pitch. Slightly reminiscent of late 2000s/early 2010s PL football - pace, power and strength being sought after. It’s always been a feature of the league to varying degrees but seems to be on the rise again. Sadly something our squad is somewhat lacking in.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
My QPR supporting mate reckons we are taking their manager. He seems really unhappy about it so he must be half decent...
If we are going down that route then Danny Rohl at Sheffield Wednesday might be under consideration. He did a fine job, after picking up a right mess halfway through last season.

Super Sub

Aug 13, 2016
A bit left field but i wouldnt mind seeing Gary O'neil come in with Pascal as part of his coaching team.

He was treated terribly by Bournemouth after doing a really good job in keeping them up. He then did well again last season with Wolves before he lost all of his best players (like us) to injury. At one point they were top 10 too.
Im sure i heard O'neil mention that Wolves are broke and thus need a fire sale in this close season before they can buy. Might be an ideal time

Had a convo and a bit of ribbing from people in my job today saying we(Brighton) are being out financed by the Premier league! " even Ipswich will pay 5 million a year to their manager" was 1 remark, and they've been out of it for 20 odd years"! Bearing in mind they are villa fans I'm dealing with.🙄🙄.

A bit left field but i wouldnt mind seeing Gary O'neil come in with Pascal as part of his coaching team.

He was treated terribly by Bournemouth after doing a really good job in keeping them up. He then did well again last season with Wolves before he lost all of his best players (like us) to injury. At one point they were top 10 too.
Im sure i heard O'neil mention that Wolves are broke and thus need a fire sale in this close season before they can buy. Might be an ideal time
Yes, Wolves aren't in a good place to buy players and being close to the area their fans are livid at the season ticket increases which have been doubled for under 16s as a way of trying to compete!

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
My QPR supporting mate reckons we are taking their manager. He seems really unhappy about it so he must be half decent...
I've mentioned Cifuentes I few times in the "next manager"-discussions and I'm sure it is someone were following very closely.

Very data horny manager, talks the talk, likes playing young players, and is in line with our possession-based football. Think now might be too early but its one to keep track of.

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk
The Cooper discussion got me thinking about what we need from our new manager.

I know there’s a suggestion that we are keen to stick with a possession-based style, but I’m starting to wonder if the next man should be someone who’s playing style is likely to get the best out of certain key individuals.

This means someone who has a system which would get the best out of Mitoma, Pedro, Enciso and Ferguson - whether that’s as a possession dominant team or otherwise. If there’s a coach out there who has a clear plan to get the best out of those 4, then whether it’s with 65% possession or 50% possession isn’t quite as important.

Lots of what goes on in football is cyclical, and it may be that the wave of possession-based teams is coming to end of its cycle. Could it be time to get ahead of the curve and find the next best style or trend?

The only trend that I’ve noticed getting stronger again recently is successful sides prioritising physically dominant profiles all over the pitch. Slightly reminiscent of late 2000s/early 2010s PL football - pace, power and strength being sought after. It’s always been a feature of the league to varying degrees but seems to be on the rise again. Sadly something our squad is somewhat lacking in.
Lump it to the big man :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here