Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who do you want to become our new manager?

Who will become our next manager?

• Graham Potter

Votes: 102 15.5%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 161 24.5%
  • Rob Edwards

Votes: 38 5.8%
  • Vincent Kompany

Votes: 42 6.4%
  • Steve Cooper

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Kjetil Knutsen

Votes: 53 8.1%
  • Liam Rosenior

Votes: 25 3.8%
  • Adam Lallana

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Gareth Southgate

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Sami Hyypia

Votes: 14 2.1%
  • Mark McGhee

Votes: 16 2.4%
  • Micky Adams

Votes: 16 2.4%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 166 25.3%

• Total voters

FCB

Sep 1, 2023
Successful?
Thanks by the way…. 😃👍

He won UEFA Youth league with Barca in 2017-18 after beating Chelsea in the final (3-0). That Chelsea team had players like Reece James, Hudson-Odoi and Guehi starting and Lamptey also came off the bench in 2nd half.

Better known players from that Barca team are Inaki Pena (now our 2nd GK), Juan Miranda (LB from Betis, think he was linked to Brighton few months ago as his contract is expiring) and Riqui Puig who was quite highly rated at that time but is now playing for LA Galaxy.

Pimi then took over Barca B team (Barca Atletic/BA) and in three years he qualified for the promotion playoffs in Segunda B (Spanish 3rd tier) twice but failed to be promoted. Have to take into account though that our B team feature a lot of young players (most are U20/21 and 2-3 are a bit older, like 22-23) and they are competing against full grown up men aged 30 and more. While our youngsters are more talented than players from other teams experience and physicality plays a big role at that level too.

Another thing is at that time we already started to aggressively promote youngsters to the first team so likes of Fati, Pedri and Gavi never played for BA. OTOH Ronald Araujo played under Pimienta for a full season before making breakthrough to the first team and he improved quite a lot.

All things considered I think Pimi did well, most fans and La Masia enthusiasts were happy with him and wanted him to stay but he had disagreements with Laporta (who was elected few months earlier) and got sacked in June 2021. Some reports suggested he wanted a first team job at time Koeman was under big pressure but we'll probably never know what really happened.

Then he took over Las Palmas in January 2022, started poor but finished season strong. They qualified for promotion playoffs in Segunda (2nd Division) but lost against rivals Tenerife. He did get Las Palmas promoted next season though.

Had a solid first half of this season mostly down to stable defense and good form of their GK Alvaro Valles but their form in second part was terrible. They've last won in February. Struggled to score most of the season but lack of a good striker was especially evident in their form from mid-March until May when they've lost 8 consecutive games while only scoring one single goal. They finished the season with three draws which was enough to stay up but it was pretty much known for weeks that Pimienta will leave. He was linked to Sevilla and I'm still expecting him to end up there although not sure if that's the best club for him given the state they're in (in need of a big rebuild). But obviously going from Las Palmas to Sevilla would be a step up in his managerial career.

Personally I think Pimi is a solid manager and would like to see him in a team with better attacking talent. He sets up the team pretty well and plays nice football and he's also good at developing youngsters. So I could see why he would be interesting to your board but at the same time you probably have better options. Would be happy if he would get the job and would follow him though.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
wonder if peter bosz would fancy a stint in the prem. a bit older than we’d normally look at not sure we could tempt him given PSV are playing champions league, but PSV have been excellent this season, he plays the sort of football we want, has oodles of experience and some pretty impressive clubs on his CV

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Struggled to score most of the season but lack of a good striker was especially evident in their form from mid-March until May when they've lost 8 consecutive games while only scoring one single goal

He’ll fit right in

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Amorim would be the dream catch. But it is just a dream...

Out of any realistic options, we have Steve Cooper domestically, and abroad there's Giovanni van Bronckhorst. I've put a tiny bet on both.
Imho Gio is a name that would suit us well, plays our football, focuse on youth players, generally successful and not on the radar of the biggies despite once labelled the Pep successor.

FCB

Sep 1, 2023
Love the quote from the local Seville rag.

The arrival of this coach is an open secret and has not excited Sevilla fans much.

Says it all really.

As mentioned in previous post Sevilla are in big mess. Their fans are protesting strongly against the board who have totally lost their direction. They could bring Klopp and fans would still be unhappy.

What was a decade and more ago a club that signed players like Dani Alves for cheap and developed them into great players who were sold for big profit is now a team full of older and overpaid veterans they have problems to offload.

I understand why fans are sceptical about Pimienta based on Las Palmas recent form and I'm not saying he will be a good or a bad choice for them but in situation they are in very likely that most managers will fail and be gone in few months anyway.

I don't think Pimi could be worse than for example Diego Alonso - Uruguayan manager they've brought midseason who never worked in Europe before and got sacked after not winning any of the 8 league matches (he could challenge Gary Neville as one of the worst La Liga managers I've seen, lol). To make things worse he replaced Mendilibar who won Europa league with Sevilla last season (granted his start of this season was not good so I get why he was sacked but retrospectively keeping him would be a better option) and has now guided Olympiacos to Conference league final as well beating Aston Villa on the way there too.

So basically any decision that Sevilla board makes right now will understandably be questioned by their fans. Hopefully they'll turn things around soon as La Liga needs a strong Sevilla.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
He won UEFA Youth league with Barca in 2017-18 after beating Chelsea in the final (3-0). That Chelsea team had players like Reece James, Hudson-Odoi and Guehi starting and Lamptey also came off the bench in 2nd half.

Better known players from that Barca team are Inaki Pena (now our 2nd GK), Juan Miranda (LB from Betis, think he was linked to Brighton few months ago as his contract is expiring) and Riqui Puig who was quite highly rated at that time but is now playing for LA Galaxy.

Pimi then took over Barca B team (Barca Atletic/BA) and in three years he qualified for the promotion playoffs in Segunda B (Spanish 3rd tier) twice but failed to be promoted. Have to take into account though that our B team feature a lot of young players (most are U20/21 and 2-3 are a bit older, like 22-23) and they are competing against full grown up men aged 30 and more. While our youngsters are more talented than players from other teams experience and physicality plays a big role at that level too.

Another thing is at that time we already started to aggressively promote youngsters to the first team so likes of Fati, Pedri and Gavi never played for BA. OTOH Ronald Araujo played under Pimienta for a full season before making breakthrough to the first team and he improved quite a lot.

All things considered I think Pimi did well, most fans and La Masia enthusiasts were happy with him and wanted him to stay but he had disagreements with Laporta (who was elected few months earlier) and got sacked in June 2021. Some reports suggested he wanted a first team job at time Koeman was under big pressure but we'll probably never know what really happened.

Then he took over Las Palmas in January 2022, started poor but finished season strong. They qualified for promotion playoffs in Segunda (2nd Division) but lost against rivals Tenerife. He did get Las Palmas promoted next season though.

Had a solid first half of this season mostly down to stable defense and good form of their GK Alvaro Valles but their form in second part was terrible. They've last won in February. Struggled to score most of the season but lack of a good striker was especially evident in their form from mid-March until May when they've lost 8 consecutive games while only scoring one single goal. They finished the season with three draws which was enough to stay up but it was pretty much known for weeks that Pimienta will leave. He was linked to Sevilla and I'm still expecting him to end up there although not sure if that's the best club for him given the state they're in (in need of a big rebuild). But obviously going from Las Palmas to Sevilla would be a step up in his managerial career.

Personally I think Pimi is a solid manager and would like to see him in a team with better attacking talent. He sets up the team pretty well and plays nice football and he's also good at developing youngsters. So I could see why he would be interesting to your board but at the same time you probably have better options. Would be happy if he would get the job and would follow him though.
Also worth highlighting that Las Palmas also had the second lowest wage cap in the league and their most expensive signing last season was under 2m.

Reactions: FCB

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Erik Ten Hag has said if he gets the boot he will go somewhere else to win trophies.
We’ve never won a major trophy.
It‘s a no-brainer!

……. Or maybe not!

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
At this point, I'm looking at the top couple of candidates very underwhelmed. The Swedish chap looks the most interesing. There are a lot of European clubs, with much bigger pedigree who need coaches. Maybe the plan has always been Potter but they are waiting it out so the 60% of #NoToPotter fans accept him back out of desperation... Let's hope we don't get to that Spurs stage two seasons ago, where they got down to their 18 choice after consistent rebuffs and rejections.

May 6, 2009
Our last three coaches each had around 10 years’ experience actually managing clubs (at least).

Given the club love their methods, I’m (totally) guessing this isn’t an accident but a prerequisite of the ideal candidate.

And us on a good, ambitious day is Europa League. If you look at managers who have recently competed in the Europa League who have 10 years’ experience and are at clubs where Brighton might be considered appealing, you get:

Bo Svensson
Kjitel Knutsen
Matias Almeyda (AEK)
Christian Ilzer (Sturm Graz)
Thomas Thomasberg (Midtjylland, although only recently joined).
Christian Streich (just left Freiburg - free agent alert)

Some of these names are familiar already but feel quite Brighton-y?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It is going to be Potter isn't it ? Now 1 to 3 with some bookies. What a state of affairs it has come to this. Unbelievable

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here