Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who are the scum nicking all this metal?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
All day on the radio they have been talking about overnight thefts of copper cables from Network Rail and BT telecommunication infrastructures.

Then I get home, open the local paper, and in the last 7 days, in my sleepy north Essex village:

- the lead has been stripped from the church
- the cricket pavilion has been raided and had the hot water cylinder stolen
- the water pipes from the football club changing rooms have been nicked
- the croquet club has been ransacked and they even took the metal f***ing hoops!

Its getting ridiculous. The village football team have chucked in the towel and told their league that they cannot fulfil their home fixtures as they can no longer offer visiting teams and officials shower facilities. So that's the end of that.

Really sad, in my view.

Last edited:

bobby smith

Jan 20, 2011
WORTHING
All day on the radio they have been talking about overnight thefts of copper cables from Network Rail and BT telecommunication infrastructures.

Then I get home, open the local paper, and in the last 7 days, in my sleepy north Essex village:

- the lead has been stripped from the church
- the cricket pavilion has been raided and had the hot water cylinder stolen
- the water pipes from the football club changing rooms have been nicked
- the croquet club has been ransacked and they even took the metal f***ing hoops!

Its getting ridiculous. The village football team have chucked in the towel and told their league that they cannot fulfil their home fixtures as they can no longer offer visiting teams and officials shower facilities. So that's the end of that.

Really sad, in my view.

Thats wot happens wen the PIKEY scum enter SUSSEX ???

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Wankers

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
We seem to have polite scum bag pikeys around here. They get out of their (usually) white transit truck with junk in the back and ask "is that your skip mate" before being told to get lost. Seen a few driving around looking down peoples driveways, obviously ready to pounce on anything shiny. Ooh look shiny things!! :mad:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Ridiculous.

Did they ever catch the pikeys that nicked Steve Ovett?

Scrap metal merchants surely have to shoulder some of the blame. Is there some sort of registry/system for scrap metal dealers?

Karma will hopefully prevail and the thieves will find something live soon.

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
I had one knock on my door the other day, 'you want that washing machine', what the one down the side of my house, the one you couldnt see unless you practically stood in my driveway to see?, yes mate take it!

getting the coach to amex i noticed there is a big old site below a27 on left hand side just before hollingbury turn off. through the trees you can see plenty of caravans.

Do as you likeys!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The church near me has its lead stolen three times its cost them a fortune.

On the radio a few weeks ago I heard a load of manhole covers off one of the major A roads had been stolen that could kill somebody hitting one of those holes at speed.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Had most of the lead flashings nicked off our extension roof while living in Lewes a few years ago. Reported it to PC Plod who said they had a good idea who was responsible (clearly implying it was the 'travelling fraternity') and warned us that once we replaced it the gits would most likely come back again.

Rather than shell out on expensive lead we replaced it with identically coloured roofing felt which I then discretely smeared with heavy grease and planted a row of nasty pyrocantha bushes below said boundary wall as a disincentive. Sure enough about a week later we spotted there were finger marks all over the greasy roofing felt and imprints where it looked like someone had fallen onto the pyrocanthas. Te he!

Never had a problem after that. Never heard from Plod either, but no surprise there. Fed up with being the victims (again) so learned its best to deter the gits ones self.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
was there not a spell when plaques were being stolen of people memorials at graveyards

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
The lead on the school I work at keeps getting taken, right pain in the arse it is! Nob heads, go and get a bloody job ffs!!!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Flashing went off the garage roofs where I live. Unfortunately, the way these people work, it's very difficult to stop them unless they're caught in the act. Or there's some kind of crackdown on the scrap dealers.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
This is the bread and butter earnings of the pikey along with didgy tarmaccing. Has been for years. Lead from roofs, anything from a building site like copper piping or cable, equipment from farms.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Pikeys have been targetting bronze statues here, few bits of public artwork nicked

These are clearly identifiable and were heavily reported so some scrap metal dealer willing accepted it from said pikeys.

They also used to try and get in to the depot when I did satellite installations, proper grade coax used in professional installs contains a LOT of copper, if they nicked it they'd set it on fire to burn off the PVC. We had razor wire that they never defeated, but there were some serious attempts at it.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Palace stole our lead in the last ten minutes :cries:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
sounds like the pikeys are gathering materials for a huge project ......anyone know of any pikeys planning a new football stadium?

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
Worked at a firm in Huddersfield that makes jointing boxes for power cables (parts made from copper & aluminium) had several thefts from the yard. They stipulated to suppliers that deliveries had to be on-site by 10 A.M. at the latest to allow for the stock to be cut up into manageable lengths & stored.
One driver decided to change his delivery route to suit himself and was most miffed when the delivery was refused (he turned up three hours after deadline) and he had to take the load back to the supplier.
On another occasion one of the labourers caught some pikeys in the act of stealing copper coil from the stores & was lucky not to be seriously injured as they left the premises at high speed.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
They'll nick anything. Regularly used to siphon the diesel out of my brother's lorry until he installed CCTV.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here