Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

White Guys Doing The Hakka

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
As someone who knows very little about Kiwi history/culture it seems strange to me to see 'white' New Zealanders doing the Hakka, something I would presume to be a Maori (sp) tradition?!? Can anyone shed any light?

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
we had a "motivational group" at our last company kick off and we had a group of New Zealand Mouries(sp?) teach us the haka.

there are many forms of the haka, and there are many stories that the dance depicts.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Stuff the Hakka. Whilst the New Zealanders are doing their little dance, we should be Morris Dancing. The Kiwis would be laughing their heads off and we would win.

I know he's retired, but I have a picture in my head of Coochie prancing with a hankie in his hand.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Very integrated society in NZ (a long time before it occured to the south africans). Think it's a good sign that all modern New Zealanders regard Maori history as their history.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I'm still not entirely sure why there allowed to get away with that shit in the first place. I think the England team should just ignore them and have some nice tea and scones whilst the Kiwis prat about.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I'm not a fan of the hakka - the point I was making is that there is no good reason why caucasian NZ's shouldn't do it too.

But, why should everyone wait for them to do their dance? England team should walk off down to the dead ball area and keep warming up. When the hakka is finished just keep warming up and ignore them. Move back to positions when we are good and ready.

If you respond and/or start the game as soon as they have finished the hakka you are letting them dictate the proceedings. We should be doing that at Twickenham. Let the All Blacks f*** about and we start when we are ready.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I'm not a fan of the hakka - the point I was making is that there is no good reason why caucasian NZ's shouldn't do it too.

I don't think you'll find they are completely caucasian. Besides most New Zealanders embrace their Maori heritage so why shouldn't they do it...

I don't mind the Hakka - although I do find it quite intimidating which is I suppose the whole point of it. But then again I find Maoris intimidating without the Hakka...

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Stuff the Hakka. Whilst the New Zealanders are doing their little dance, we should be Morris Dancing. The Kiwis would be laughing their heads off and we would win.

I know he's retired, but I have a picture in my head of Coochie prancing with a hankie in his hand.

I like the idea of that, its a bit like the Norwegian fish slapping dance.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I don't think you'll find they are completely caucasian. Besides most New Zealanders embrace their Maori heritage so why shouldn't they do it...

I don't mind the Hakka - although I do find it quite intimidating which is I suppose the whole point of it. But then again I find Maoris intimidating without the Hakka...

I think you will find that lining up in front of enemy soldiers and doing an aggressive war dance was the accepted norm until the advent of the Vickers .303 machine gun with a 450-600 RPM.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Very integrated society in NZ (a long time before it occured to the south africans). Think it's a good sign that all modern New Zealanders regard Maori history as their history.

Quite. New Zealand could teach the casually racist Aussies a thing or two in that direction.

You'd pay good money to see the English Morris Dancing Hakka counter-attack tho eh :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Quite. New Zealand could teach the casually racist Aussies a thing or two in that direction.

You'd pay good money to see the English Morris Dancing Hakka counter-attack tho eh :lol:

Not speaking from personal experience. But a mate emigrated to NZ and loves it for all the reasons mentioned above and more. He'd previously visited Aus several times and was unimpressed, well......you obviously know already.

Now then. Does morris dancing get any better than this I wonder ?

[yt]b5OM82LTsU0[/yt]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here