Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which winger would be surplus?

wilko1

Feb 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If Vicente does sign, it begs the question how do we keep them all happy?
Noone, Buckley, Lua Lua,....I guess Hoskins is not really a winger

Hate to say it but for me it might have to be Kaz that loses out?

SamPeters18

Feb 19, 2011
Peacehaven
well Noone has been amazing so i cant see him missing out, and Buckley has only just signed so i cant really see him missing out either, where as LuaLua is on loan and can sign fully for us in Jan if we want...so i dont think he will miss out either, he will keep him and have 4 players who can play on the wings which is great

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Buckley can play up front too, so possibly three of them in the team and one on the bench...

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
It seems to me if you look at the squad we are doubling up on all positions, competition for places and quality cover. Just wondering with 3 strikers if we will sign another today or if one of the development boys will be stepping up. I guess in a few hours things maybe a little clearer.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
We have one thread going where people are moaning that we have too many games in a short period, and another where people are wondering which players are surplus to requirements. Hmmm....

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
None (not typo). We need a squad and this gives us amazing options to change a game. Once injuries take their toll 4 wingers will be needed. Dont forget Buckley can play through the middle as well adding to our flexibility.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
------------------Bridcutt---------------------

--------------Harley-----Dicker----------------

Buckley----------------------------------Noone

-------------------------Vicente--------------

----------------CMS--------------------------

With LuaLua on bench, Harley pushing forward....?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Bloody hell, that's some headache for Gus to deal with ! Let's hope they all have a part in getting us promoted its a long old season and we are going to need them all !

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
We could have a team full of wingers!

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
------------------Bridcutt---------------------

--------------Harley-----Dicker----------------

Buckley----------------------------------Noone

-------------------------Vicente--------------

----------------CMS--------------------------

With LuaLua on bench, Harley pushing forward....?

Only three defenders? Punchy.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Buckley/Vicente can both play as a second striker. We'll need every body we've got and depth will be very important to us this year. Gus will keep them happy :)

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Why is anyone surplus? You know that Gus loves the impact sub - tire the opposition out for 70 minutes, then throw on Noone, or Lua Lua, or Buckley - in many ways that's his signature piece - fresh attacking subs to kill tired defenders

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
My belief is that you have to forget the concept of a traditional winger for us for all the players mentioned apart from KLL. Gus is obviously keen to have wide attacking midfielders and I see that is what he believes Vicente, Noone, Buckley and Hoskins are. I find it exciting because it shows an understanding of football on a new level that other managers such as Sven,Adkins and Alladyce really do not have.

Exciting times.

TNBA

TTF

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
I think Gus will in the majority stick to starting one out and out wide man and that will be, on current form Noone or I guess Vicente. That leaves us with the creative player on the inside right position as Harley or Buckley and a centre midfield pairing of Bridcutt and Dicker/Navarro/Sparrow. Given Vicente is said to play the Silva role quite well it could be that he plays as the creative midfielder on the inside left, with an out and out winger on the right from the start - Buckley or LuaLua I would imagine. I guess this will depend on who we are playing, form, who the left back or right back is etc etc. Its nice to have so many options

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
My belief is that you have to forget the concept of a traditional winger for us for all the players mentioned apart from KLL. Gus is obviously keen to have wide attacking midfielders and I see that is what he believes Vicente, Noone, Buckley and Hoskins are. I find it exciting because it shows an understanding of football on a new level that other managers such as Sven,Adkins and Alladyce really do not have.

Exciting times.

TNBA

TTF

What he said basically

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

This is very true. I love the way our second striker just ahead of the midfield in a very advanced wingers position. Looking to spread the play, bring it forward and build in numbers. It's tactical genius and I am LOVING the squad, the football and the tactics Gus is toying with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here