Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which team had the SECOND LOWEST attendance in League 1 on Saturday?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Put bluntly, watching the Albion has become an expensive chore rather than a pleasure for too many people, and it seems there are many different reasons for this.

I can't helping the good vibes will return with Falmer - as long as ticket prices are competitive.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Football

I genuinely believe the crowds would increase if the football was better - even with the prices. It is so uninspiring at the moment and has been for a quite a while (since Wilkins took over?). I really feel it will not change while Wilkins is there - no matter how many players we bring in. I actually believe a better manager (i.e. stronger motivator, better tactician) would get better performances from this set of players. We have some youngsters with potential, who are not developing as well as they could.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I genuinely believe the crowds would increase if the football was better - even with the prices. It is so uninspiring at the moment and has been for a quite a while (since Wilkins took over?). I really feel it will not change while Wilkins is there - no matter how many players we bring in. I actually believe a better manager (i.e. stronger motivator, better tactician) would get better performances from this set of players. We have some youngsters with potential, who are not developing as well as they could.
They'd undoubtedly increase if the results were better. If we were second or third we'd, by definition, have had good results. The 'feelgood' factor would be kicking in and even at the current prices gates would be about 1000 higher. And if we needed to win to guarantee promotion you wouldn't be able to get a ticket for love nor money - regardless of what the official price was. One of the hardest Withdean games I had trouble getting a ticket for was for a home match against Chesterfield! On the face of it that was hardly a glamour game but of course the Championship was at stake.

But .... we're not in that position so the club have got to do something to counter the apathy. Your gripe is that the football is 'uninspiring', that's fair enough. Given that no club has a magic wand to remedy that they could at least sugar the pill by making it cheaper.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Look at the crowds that Leeds get, and Bates is fleecing the fans left, right and centre, but they are producing good results, have two decent strikers and there is a feelgood factor about the place.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think the high prices are being used as an excuse not a reason for non attendance.

I think the real reason is the performances on the field people are fed up with seeing lacklustre performances from the players and apparent indifference to changing the team to win a game from the mangement. The enthusiasm appears to have vanished

Yep that has been my thought. Also the embarrassing performances at both Millwall and Yeovil.

I know we did well against Oldham but bad performances linger more in the memory than good ones.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Yep that has been my thought. Also the embarrassing performances at both Millwall and Yeovil.

I know we did well against Oldham but bad performances linger more in the memory than good ones.

Ah, maybe we are onto something here! See mine are the good memories, like the Millwall home win when we wiped the floor with them.

Half full or half empty I guess.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I am finding this hard to believe. After a bad performance do you really say "The performace was great but I'm not going to go again because it's too expensive?"

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I don't know where people get the impression that we've historically had massive crowds, I've been going for 20 odd years and it isn't like we breached 10k very often at the Goldstone in that time - the average was nearer 7k or 8k if memory serves (even in '91) - so to quibble over differences in crowd size that amount to a few hundred people seems rather childish to me. I think a lot of it amounts to the away attendance, words got around that the view from the Worthing End is crap so people don't bother coming.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
I don't know where people get the impression that we've historically had massive crowds, I've been going for 20 odd years and it isn't like we breached 10k very often at the Goldstone in that time - the average was nearer 7k or 8k if memory serves (even in '91) - so to quibble over differences in crowd size that amount to a few hundred people seems rather childish to me. I think a lot of it amounts to the away attendance, words got around that the view from the Worthing End is crap so people don't bother coming.

:bla::bla: There he goes again talking sense. :D

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Actually we was pretty decent sized club until maggy thatcher came along i,e reccesion,then we had the goldstone dissapear from under us.thats why the 80's and 90's where grim:angry: and then in 2000 onwards a dire small shitty stadium called withdean.

Can't be to harsh on us:D

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/england.htm

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
All these negative comments, yet we will all beat the Withdean again 2nd Feb vs Crewe.

This is football! Things aren't great atm, but we'll get through. Anyone remember Hereford I wonder? Those were REAL dark days! We were a goal away from playing non league football.

The bottom line is...things are brighter now, we're getting Falmer ffs!

Things could be a LOT worse

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here