Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which of these UK cities have you lived in?

Where have you lived?

• Total voters

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I lived in Hove, actually before it was joined with Brighton and became a "city". I have never lived in the city of B & H. So, moderator, should I vote for Brighton as your poll is about "cities"?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
what did you all do in manchester? and where abouts did you live?

students i'd imagine?

Yep. Masters, lived in Levenshulme, then worked for the council for a couple of years in Gorton. Thought I'd hate it and ended up loving it. Something very different about Manchester from the rest of the country. Plus was there when Man U won the treble and it was very uplifting.

I have to say that was my reaction too.

http://www.ukcities.co.uk/populations/ says 316,000.

Wikipedia says 76,886.

Wakefield Council's website says this:-

The population of Wakefield District is 322,319 (males: 157,919; females: 164,400)(based on 2008 mid-year estimate)

lived there and worked for the Council for six years, a Metropolitan district (so no diffrent than the conglomeration of Brighton annd Hove) incorporating wakefield, the five towns of: normanton, featherstone, ponterfract, castleford and some other place i can't remember plus South Helsall, South Upton etc.

When I worked there it had a budget of £220m (what's Brighton) and employed 17,000 all northerners except me!

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Just out of interest, how does one live somewhere for 3 weeks?

we had just come back from South Africa and moved into a house in Kensington. The next week my dad took up a job in Erith and so we moved out....simples

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
Edinburgh for 6 years 87-93. Other Scottish cities Dundee... and Stirling... yes this smallish town got city status at the same time as B&H. When Lewes joins the city list I'll be able to add another! :wozza: :shrug:

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Brighton & Hove 1969 to mid 70s

Oblivion (Aldershot,Dachet, & Godalming)

Manchester early 80s into early 90s

London (Camden Town)early 90s to 2010

Brighton and Hove 2010 to present day which is still 2010

Ah so you've just moved back, eh?!

Am thinking about moving back down fairly soon if practical to my work plans. How have you found it so far after so long away?

My list:

Brighton
London
--------------
Southampton (surprised not on Top 25 list)
Worthing (variously)
Angmering

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
Just Brighton, Bolney not big enough to make it on the list!

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
None of the above

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Brighton & Hove only & I am in my 40s.

Who wants to live anywhere else when born in the best city in the UK?

I wish you would live somewhere else - try Gaza.

Wakefield a city ?
Yep.

The cathedral dates back to the 14th century, although the place has only had a bishop since 1888, when city status was granted (five years before Leeds). There was an earlier Norman church in Wakefield that was controlled from Lewes Priory.

WakefieldCathedral_small.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I can't believe that there are five other people on NSC who have lived in Bradford. You can tell us by our curry-stained fingers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here